How do I create an email address for my domain?

• Article
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • (Edited)
Here are instructions to create an email address:

Important: Before you can set up any email accounts, you must already have a domain associated with your website account. Domains must be fully registered, pointed, or transferred in order to set up email with that domain.

1. Click Email on the left.

2. Click Manage my email account.

3. If you have more than one domain in your account, confirm the current domain is the one you want. If not, click switch to another domain.

4. Click Add New.

5. In the Email address field, enter a name for your new email account.

6. Important: Just enter a name, don't include the @ sign or anything extra. A lot of people use generic names here like admin, info, or sales, for example.

7. Complete the rest of the form by entering your first name and last name.

8. Create the password for your email account. Passwords are case sensitive

9. Tip: The password you create should follow our password recommendations. Don't make it easy for others to guess your password and access your account. We recommend using a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols.

10. Click Save.
Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 43,306 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 43,306 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi,

Here are instructions to create an email address:

Important: Before you can set up any email accounts, you must already have a domain associated with your website account. Domains must be fully registered, pointed, or transferred in order to set up email with that domain.

1. Click Email on the left.

2. Click Manage my email account.

3. If you have more than one domain in your account, confirm the current domain is the one you want. If not, click switch to another domain.

4. Click Add New.

5. In the Email address field, enter a name for your new email account.

6. Important: Just enter a name, don't include the @ sign or anything extra. A lot of people use generic names here like admin, info, or sales, for example.

7. Complete the rest of the form by entering your first name and last name.

8. Create the password for your email account. Passwords are case sensitive

9. Tip: The password you create should follow our password recommendations. Don't make it easy for others to guess your password and access your account. We recommend using a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols.

10. Click Save.

(Edited)
Photo of Lene1357

Lene1357

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Not helpful. I don't understand the part about "fully registered, pointed or transferred..."
Live Chat informs me that we have no-hosting Basic account. I want to know how to add email as an additional feature to our account.
Photo of james1832

james1832

• 60 Points
"fully registered, pointed or transferred..." refers the 24 hours after you request a domain. it takes about that long to register across all of the servers named ".com" ".net" ".co.uk" world-wide. That is how people are able to type in your domain address and it can be resolved to the server you are on. Think of it like putting in a change of address or making a listing in the yellow pages. It takes a little time for it to get into the hands of the customer.
Photo of jill7267

jill7267

• 70 Points
The answer is not helpful because there is no email option showing under Domains or anywhere else.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,718 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Only the business hosting plans include email service, which is why your account does not show the email link. However you can add an email address to your account for just $1 per month. Would you like me to add it on for you?

Mike
Photo of jennyswimwear5848

jennyswimwear5848

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Can you help me make an email address that will be associated with my domain?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you follow the steps above, and when you click the "add new" button on step #4, it will open a window where you fill in the blanks and create the email address. If that is not working, let me know where you are getting stuck.

Mike
Photo of Emmenette9799

Emmenette9799

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Not helpful because you did not indicate where to click email  - on the left of where?????
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Your account does not have the email tab on the left side, as the starter package does not include email service.  It would have to be added.  Each email address is $1/month.

We can add it for you, or you can click on the Add-on services on the left side of your account screen.  Then on Customize My Website.  Then there is a tab at the top right for Add Extras.  You can finally click on Email Accounts.

Drew
Photo of pdj8128p4947

pdj8128p4947

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
i created a domain then an email and it keeps saying it may take a couple minutes for your email to be active and that was over an hour ago
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

pdj8128p4947, I'm sorry. They way we create emails can actually take up to about 4 hours. When I look at your account though, I am not showing one. Can you try to create it again?
Photo of pdj8128p4947

pdj8128p4947

just did    this is what its saying

Your mailbox is being created. This process may take a few minutes.

Photo of pdj8128p4947

pdj8128p4947

can you see it now?

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

No, but as I said, the reality is it can take a few hours.
Photo of pdj8128p4947

pdj8128p4947

so what do I do if its still not on by tomorrow?

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You can let me know here. I will find out why and fix it. What is the address you are trying to create?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Ok, if it isn't working later tonight, let us know and I'll find out why.
Photo of Sharon3094

Sharon3094

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
It created the email under our domain, but when she logs in the email icon shows locked.  
Photo of henriboch6677

henriboch6677

• 72 Points
How do I create an email account for my new website?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
how do I set up an email account.
Photo of cruzin795842

cruzin795842

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How to I retrieve emails sent to the email I set up and also link it to the one in my contact us page?
Photo of Diane1030

Diane1030

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
how do i get business email addresses

business email addresses.
Photo of Aubrey T

Aubrey T

• 15,316 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Diane -

Please let me know if you have trouble with any of the steps above.

Thanks,
Aubrey
Photo of Jules Marcel

Jules Marcel

I read your response on how to get/manage emails. However, where do I find the 'email' link on the left you elude to? i cannot locate it anywhere. I do have a registered domain and my website is pointed to it.
Photo of marcia62536172

marcia62536172

• 60 Points
I also can not find this link. Please respond to this email to help us set up our business emails.
Photo of Aubrey T

Aubrey T

• 15,316 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Marcia & Jules -

If you don't see the email link, you probably don't have email addresses included in your package. To add them to your account, go to Account > Account Summary > Get Add-ons, then add the desired mailboxes.

Once the mailboxes have been added to your account, you should see the "email" link.

Thanks,
Aubrey
Photo of irstaxdoctor3654

irstaxdoctor3654

• 62 Points
how do i set up email for my site? what are the steps?? where do i go???.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

• 39,954 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi irstaxdoctor3654,

It doesn't look like you've added any emails to your account yet, to do so:

Click Add-on Services > Customize my website > Add extras > email > upgrade

(add hmail accounts)

*use the instructions at the top of the page to create the email account after adding hmail accounts

Let me know if I can offer further assistance, thanks!

Ehsan

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.
Photo of PitchersLLC

PitchersLLC

• 62 Points
Will someone lease provide me with instructions on how to create the email addresses associated with my domain? I cannot seem to locate the website where I do this at once I log into my account.

Thank you!
Krissi Langdon
Pitchers, LLC

Creating Email Addresses - Domain.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

• 39,954 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Krissi,

Your current subscription does not include email service, you'll need to add it by logging into your account and clicking:

Add-on Services > Customize my website > Add extras > email > upgrade
(add "hmail" accounts)

Let me know if you need further assistance, thanks!

Ehsan
Photo of jmhirt9563

jmhirt9563

Photo of bpsmoody017004

bpsmoody017004

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
A personalized email address for my website.

Is there a way for me to get an email address with my website's name after the @ sign. For example, mine would be something like bpshirk@indianachristianhoops.com.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Email addresses are an add on for your account. They cost $1/month for each email.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of John1302

John1302

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
How would I get the personalized email that I create to forward to my gmail account?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

What sort of email are you referring to. Sorry but I don't understand what you are asking.
Photo of John1302

John1302

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have been going around and around over this issue you guys have created.
I want my personal website email to forward to my gmail.com account like this without having to pay others to get something done that was working before with homestead. Like this:
myname@mydomain.com forwared to myname@gmail.com
I do want a strait answer to fix this problem.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

This is a duplicate question answered on another page: https://community.homestead.com/homes...
Photo of jennifer0606

jennifer0606

• 62 Points
OMG I am trying to do this also forward my email I just set up to Gmail.  I have to have this service.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Forwarding mail is available under the advanced settings. It is not recommended as it vastly increases the chances of getting marked as spam. It is a much better idea to setup your gmail account to POP your Homestead mail.
Photo of asw

asw

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Cannot access email from newly-created website/"invalid" credentials--what can I do?.

I recently set up my Homestead website and decided to send myself a test email. When I logged in to view the email, I got this:

LGI-0006 Categories=USER_INPUT Message='Invalid credentials.' exceptionID=567334677-96389845

I want to access my emails asap. What to do?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

It doesn't appear that you have created an email address yet. It will take about an hour to activate once created.

Drew
Photo of Christopher6672

Christopher6672

how do i set up my email account?.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Follow the instructions above.  It can take an hour or so for the mailbox to activate.

Drew
Photo of getfit4008

getfit4008

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Not getting emails..

I recently created a website on squarspace. The site is hosted by homestead. I am able to see my site perfectly but unable to get emails. How do I correct this?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi getfit4008,

You will need to create an email address first.  Once you create it, it may take a couple of hours before it is fully functional.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of getfit4008

getfit4008

Actually the email addresses already exist.
carol@sumnerfitness.com and getfit@sumnerfitness.com
These are old email addresses that have been used for years.

I am sure this is something simple that I am just not seeing.

Thank you for any help you can provide Drew.
I appreciate it.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

In March of 2014 that domain was transferred from another host.  In April of 2014 you apparently changed nameservers to Godaddy.  I am assuming that you may have had your email service with them.  Yesterday, your nameservers were switched back to Homestead's.  This would put your email service with us, but the actual email addresses do not move like that.  You can contact Godaddy for your account information(if it was with them, I can only speculate).  Or you can create new email boxes with Homestead.  No old emails would be available.  They are stored on another company's server.

Drew
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

If you mail was with Godaddy, then we simply need to change your MX records to theirs, so please get those from Godaddy if that is what you want to do.
Photo of getfit4008

getfit4008

Yes, I recall something about the MX records before. I am certain that is the information that needs to be updated. 

I assume that I just need to locate the exact numerical data from go daddy and plug that into the MX records and that should resolve the issue?

Thank you so much Drew
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

It will not be numerical, but yes, ask Godaddy for their MX records for your email service and replace what is in the Advanced DNS section of the Homestead domain manager.

Drew
Photo of getfit4008

getfit4008

Thanks Drew, 
Apparently I needed to make changes to the A record and to the MX records. But yes godaddy needed to give me the correct info.

Thanks for you help.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You're welcome. 
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled how do i get email.
Photo of Scott2653

Scott2653

• 336 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add e-mail to my domain..

It's been a while since I added an e-mail address to one of my domains.  Can't remember how it is done, so any help is appreciated!  Thank you!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Scott2653,

This should help.

Drew
Photo of Sal7920

Sal7920

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled how do I add an email address for my site ?.
Photo of Beth5052

Beth5052

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled how do i activate new email address for a new employee?.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You can follow these instructions. It can take a couple hours for the address to be fully active.
Photo of Beth5052

Beth5052

I didn't see any steps to follow in your email.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You click on the link in the email and the instructions are at the top of the page it takes you to.
Photo of Beth5052

Beth5052

I am sorry - but I do not see any link.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Do you see a button below this message that brings you to a website? If not, use this URL, https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how_do_i_create_an_email_address_for_my_domain
Photo of Donn3846

Donn3846

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can someone help me set up a domain email account for my account?.

I need to set up an email account that is attached to my domain name how do I do this. I don't see anywhere on the site were I can do this?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Donn3846, You may need to refresh the page in your Homestead account to see the email tab. Let us know if you need additional help.
Photo of karl3893

karl3893

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Adding second email help.

I currently have an email account through homestead. I am using the homestead open-Xchange server directly . I hired an employee and want him to have email. I went in and upgraded my account to add one additional email. However, when I try to open the xchange server and go to configuration and try to "add email" I am getting an error message. I'm not sure I'm entering the proper information in the server setting snd outgoing server settings. When I try to just copy the same information that is listed as it pertains to my email I get error message. Can someone please help me set this up? I tried to get help via the chat service but he couldn't help me.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You do not set that up. Follow the instructions at the top of this page to create the new address. It can take a couple of hours to complete set up.
Photo of David5092

David5092

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Questions with how to add new employee's emails.

Thanks for the help in advance. I currently have my own email through Homestead and wanted to add my other business partner his own email. I went to settings > Email Accounts > I clicked new and entered the basic info in. I wasn't sure what type of server to make his email. When I completed his and went to send test email it said can not send since his does not support id "4"   ???    please help
Photo of Daniel3786

Daniel3786

• 236 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Where do I go to manage my email accounts.

just want to know where I go to edit my email accounts, or add new ones
Photo of JJ9911

JJ9911

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I've never used my email on here. I'm trying to use it now but not sure how..

I've never used my email on here. I'm trying to use it now but not sure how.
Photo of prout8999

prout8999

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I can't find where the email icon is.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

prout8999, email addresses are not included in the basic package. They are $1/month each. If you would like 1 or more added, please let me know.
Photo of jbmcdermith6597

jbmcdermith6597

• 70 Points
I do not have an "email on the left" button to click on.  How do I set up an email address?
Thanks
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

jbmcdermith6597, The starter package does not include email service. Email addresses can be added for $1/month each. I can add however many you need for you, or you can do so from the Add on services on the left. Click on customize my website, then Add extras at the top.
Photo of Bett8492

Bett8492

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hello,
I want to cancel my current email address because of the number of spam and junk emails I receive - somehow this email address has been compromised.  Then I want to add back on my one email for $1/month with a different address.  Please advise how to do this.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You can go to manage my email account on the email tab in your account and delete the existing one and then create the new one.