Sitebuilder Plus: Create A Site Navigation Menu

• Article
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • (Edited)
The site navigation is what visitors use to go from one web page to another easily and quickly. It's a "global" element meaning that you can create the Site Navigation Menu once, and then add it to multiple pages without having to rebuild all of the links and details. Any change you make to that Site Navigation Menu on one of those pages will be applied to every page that the menu is on.

Here is how you can set up your navigation menu:

1. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu. Then, click Edit Site.

2. Click Insert in the top toolbar and select More from the drop-down menu. When the secondary drop-down menu appears, click Navigation Menu.

3. In the small window, Create a new Site Navigation Menu and click Ok.

4. Enter a name for your navigation menu or leave the default name in there and click Ok
  5. .

6. A placeholder box will appear on your page. To the right, in Site Navigation Menu Settings, there are editing tools available in the tabs.

• Basics Tab

• The Basics tab will allow you manipulate if you want your navigation menu to be horizontal or verticle

• Style Tab

• The Style tab allows you to customize how your links appears. You can make your links buttons, text, or even import your own images to use.

• Effects Tab

• The Effects tab allows you to create some different effects such as mouseovers and selected page colors to help make your navigation menu more appealing.

• Links Tab

• The Links tab is where you will setup you page link.

• Click on the + sign to the right of Link List to add pages to the site navigation menu.

• In the small window, select Existing Page or File and click Browse.

• Select the page name that you want to link to. Then, click Ok and Ok again.

• You'll now have Link1 in your link list. With that link selected, look below the link list and you can rename Link1 to something more relevant (like Home).

• Repeat these steps to setup all your pages and links.

• Once you are done setting up your navigation menu, click Save and Publish to see your changes on your live site. You can also copy and paste this menu to any of your other pages so every page is linked to the others.
  • Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 42,916 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 42,916 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
    Official Response
    The site navigation is what visitors use to go from one web page to another easily and quickly. It's a "global" element meaning that you can create the Site Navigation Menu once, and then add it to multiple pages without having to rebuild all of the links and details. Any change you make to that Site Navigation Menu on one of those pages will be applied to every page that the menu is on.

Here is how you can set up your navigation menu:

1. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu. Then, click Edit Site.

2. Click Insert in the top toolbar and select More from the drop-down menu. When the secondary drop-down menu appears, click Navigation Menu.

3. In the small window, Create a new Site Navigation Menu and click Ok.

4. Enter a name for your navigation menu or leave the default name in there and click Ok
    5. .

6. A placeholder box will appear on your page. To the right, in Site Navigation Menu Settings, there are editing tools available in the tabs.

• Basics Tab

• The Basics tab will allow you manipulate if you want your navigation menu to be horizontal or verticle

• Style Tab

• The Style tab allows you to customize how your links appears. You can make your links buttons, text, or even import your own images to use.

• Effects Tab

• The Effects tab allows you to create some different effects such as mouseovers and selected page colors to help make your navigation menu more appealing.

• Links Tab

• The Links tab is where you will setup you page link.

• Click on the + sign to the right of Link List to add pages to the site navigation menu.

• In the small window, select Existing Page or File and click Browse.

• Select the page name that you want to link to. Then, click Ok and Ok again.

• You'll now have Link1 in your link list. With that link selected, look below the link list and you can rename Link1 to something more relevant (like Home).

• Repeat these steps to setup all your pages and links.

• Once you are done setting up your navigation menu, click Save and Publish to see your changes on your live site. You can also copy and paste this menu to any of your other pages so every page is linked to the others.
  • (Edited)
    Photo of Janice7134

Janice7134

• 236 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    Wow! Wish I had this website construction capability. Why is mine different? Is it because it's a storefront website?

Having said that, I have the same problem - I copied a page template from one that was commonly available, but have no idea how to have the navigation bar show the new page
    Photo of JORGE3994

JORGE3994

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
    i try to do this process but it changes all the pages. i think i have to make a subdomain in order to do this. like apple.com the default language is english but as you surf you can select spanish and the site appears like this es.apple.com instead of just apple.com but i don't know how to do this.
    Photo of Marney0644

Marney0644

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

I followed the instructions and the problem is fixed. Thanks!!

thank you so much !!!
    Photo of Rafael9030

Rafael9030

• 60 Points
    These instructions are outdated and don't apply to the latest website builder version.
    Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
    They are perfectly valid for the many Sitebuilder sites left on our service. You can read this topic, https://community.homestead.com/homes... and see if it helps for the new builder.
    Photo of Barry4378

Barry4378

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    These instructions do not remedy my problem of the links no longer being linked.  I have recreated them, but they don't navigate from one page to another.  I am losing customers because my website no longer functions.  Please advise.
    Photo of Randy5825

Randy5825

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
    I followed this but did not have the Navigation buttons. Still looking for help.
    Photo of Duane3052

Duane3052

when I go to my site on the internet, it does not have the bar to access the other pages. How do I correct this problem?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
    when I go to my site on the internet, it does not have the bar to access the other pages. How do I correct this problem?.
    Photo of ktico2106

ktico2106

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    I just put up a three page website, but only the first page shows. Any suggestions? If you would like to check it out to know what I'm talking about, go to kevincoughlinktico.com. Thanks for your help.

A great title.
    Photo of ESTHER4477

ESTHER4477

• 484 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
    How can you set this up with storefront?
    just built a web site on here and had an about us page and a news page but when u go to the actual site there is no option to see those other pages what do i do

help.
    Hi,
    How can i get my other 2 pages i create to show up on my website
    www.enchanted.com?

Only the home page published.
    Photo of sbonk6078

sbonk6078

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    i created a page but can't figure out how to list it doesn't show on my website

website help.
    Photo of Aubrey T

Aubrey T

• 15,316 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
    Hi there!

The steps above should help you add links on your site to your new page(s).

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Thanks,
    Aubrey
    Photo of Ron7320

Ron7320

• 72 Points
    Bs They do
    Photo of WF5594

WF5594

• 60 Points
    OK. I don't have a plus sign??
    Photo of Aubrey T

Aubrey T

Hi WF!

The plus sign is next to "link list" on the Links tab. What do you see there? Do you mind sending a screenshot of what you see?

Thanks,
    Aubrey
    Photo of Ronson2423

Ronson2423

• 62 Points
    I have changed the page name and link titles where I can find anywhere to change them. Problem is the old links are still popping up and people are telling me they see them sometimes. How can I completely change the navigation menu choices and edit them from the preset template?
    Thank you,

Page titles.
    Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

• 39,954 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
    Hi Ronson2423,

You can use the instructions above to create a new navigation menu.

Regarding the page title, you can edit this by clicking Page Info > Basics Tab
    (in sitebuilder desktop).

Hope this helps, thanks!

Ehsan
    Photo of melanlea90455

melanlea90455

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    OMG, how do you link the quick store when you create a new site navigation menu? Why should I even have to because the first nav menu kept wigging out? Why am I paying for this awful service?
    Photo of stay2262

stay2262

• 62 Points
    I deleted my navigation and I tried to hit undo but it's not working.
    Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi stay2262,

Welcome to the community!

You can use the instructions above to add your navigation menu back. Rather than selecting create new, select use existing.

Thanks!

Ehsan
    Photo of oiclan63940

oiclan63940

• 72 Points
    I am still having trouble clicking on my navigation menu. I did what your troubleshooter suggested, and still no action. Please help. It is urgent I get this up and running.

Navigation menu dead.
    Photo of Aubrey T

Aubrey T

Hi Oiclan -

Sorry for your frustrations! Upon looking up your website, it looks as though you added a text box for your navigation links, rather than the actual navigation menu element. I would delete the text that you have on your site and follow the steps above on adding the navigation menu.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
    Aubrey
    Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
    Actually the text boxes are better for SEO purposes than the 'canned' navigation option. If you choose to go with that one be sure you also have a site map that the Search Engines can follow - an xml site map is recommended for sites with more than 5 pages and in addition a regular site map page is helpful. The canned navigation is great because it does change the navigations across the site and for larger sites this is helpful. BUT it does not change the placement - so if you add to or subtract from the navigation the placement on the pages will change.
    Photo of oiclan63940

oiclan63940

• 72 Points
    I am not able to click on my menu bar, what's going on? I've tried your posted suggestions, but still no activity or changes. Please contact me immediately, I really need my website running!

Dead menu.
    Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hy oiclan63940,

You've added a text box to your page as a menu, however, they're not hyperlinks (text that is a link). Use the instructions above to create a navigation menu and let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks!

Ehsan
    Photo of JORGE3994

JORGE3994

my website is full in english but i have some costumers that only speak spanish i try to make modifications on the menu bar but everything looks like is going to change on the full site. how can i solve this problem? thanks...

How can make two menus for my website one in english and the other in spanish?.
    Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi JORGE3994,

You can create as many navigation menus as you'd like. Take a look as this post on using the Master Template feature to learn how to make changes to all of your pages or just one.

Hope this helps, thanks!

Ehsan
    Photo of JORGE3994

JORGE3994

i try to do this process but it changes all the pages. i think i have to make a subdomain in order to do this. like apple.com the default language is english but as you surf you can select spanish and the site appears like this es.apple.com instead of just apple.com but i don't know how to do this.
    Photo of OLDCOACH232403

OLDCOACH232403

• 62 Points
    How do I create an navigation menu since I lost if from my pages

LOST MY NAVIGATION MENU.
    Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi OLDCOACH23243,

Using the steps above, you can select use existing versus create new, if you'd like to add the menu that you deleted.

Hope this helps, thanks!

Ehsan
    Photo of Myra7444

Myra7444

• 62 Points
    I'm trying making changes in sitebuilder for my website but I somehow deleted the bar that I and others can access other pages that I also created...how do I get it back?

How do I replace the bar that gives access to additional pages on the website?.
    Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Myra7444,

Using the instructions above, click use existing instead of create new.

Hope this helps, thanks!

Ehsan
    Photo of lisainftw2726

lisainftw2726

• 62 Points
    I created a 3 page web site and the only page that can be viewed is the homepage. What happened to the other 2 pages? How do I get to them?

Where did my pages go?.
    Photo of Aubrey T

Aubrey T

Hi Lisa -

Thanks for writing in!

It looks like all of your pages are in Sitebuilder and can be viewed by choosing the different pages from the "view page" dropdown menu in Sitebuilder. However, they are not visible when you view your live site, since you do not have a Site Navigation Menu on your page. Please check out this post on how to create one.

Thanks,
    Aubrey
    Photo of DONNA0907

DONNA0907

• 62 Points
    when I go to my site to view it the about us page does not show, but when I click on publish it opens up in a new window.

my about page is not showing what do i do..
    Photo of Aubrey T

Aubrey T

HI Donna -

Thanks for writing in! It looks as though you'll need to add a Site Navigation Menu to your home page to link to your About us page. Check out the post above for more info.

Thanks,
    Aubrey
    Photo of j9696

j9696

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    ok
    Photo of rdrakepainting7418

rdrakepainting7418

• 240 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    When doing my 3 pages of my website www.richarddrakepainting.com why am I only seeing on page?

When publishing a website.
    Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi rdrakepainting7418,

It looks like you don't have a menu or links/buttons to any of the other pages. You can use the instructions about to create a menu for your site which will allow you and your visitors to navigate through the different pages you've created.

Hope this helps, thanks!

Ehsan
    Photo of sixstringsup8361

sixstringsup8361

I have finally completed my editing and have published my site...requesting that all pages be published. However, only the home page appears at this time. I haven't been able to view the other three pages. What do I need to do at this point...or how do I make the "About Us", "Services" and "Contact Us" tabs at the top to work?or can you fix it for me? Thanks!

The entire site needs to be seen!!.
    Photo of Angela W

Angela W

• 6,540 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
    Hi sixstringsup,

I see that you've successfully published all of your pages. You will need to either link your text to the other pages or add a site navigation menu. I'd recommend adding the site navigation menu by following the steps listed above. That way, you can make the changes to all pages of your site at the same time. It will save you time and if you want to change the links later - you can do it all in one place.

Hope that helps!

Angela
    Photo of Dick7268

Dick7268

• 62 Points
    I was attempting to delete one link ( Services) and modify Products to Products and Services - Instead I deleted all page links -

I have lost my page links while trying to edit them. Help.
    Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Dick7268,

Sorry for the delay -

Use the instructions above but select use existing rather than create new to get your old menu back (you can create a new one if you'd like).

Hope this info helps, thanks!

Ehsan
    Photo of Dani4874

Dani4874

• 62 Points
    Hello,
    I have tried to publish our website of westsideministorage.net and the only page that publishes is the home page. What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks,
    Dani

Website only publishes home page of site..
    Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Dani,

Please use the instructions above to create a navigation menu for your website.

Let me know if you need further assistance, thanks!

Ehsan
    Photo of Naomi9781

Naomi9781

I accidentally deleted the tool bar at the top that links to all of my pages. The "undo" button did not recover it. I have not published yet. How do I get it back?!?

Deleted a Toolbar. OOPS! Help!!.
    Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Naomi9781,

Select use existing rather than create new and it will add your original menu back to the page.

Thanks,
    Ehsan
    Photo of Chris9584

Chris9584

• 62 Points
    I am having a problem with the site navigation menu not showing up on new published page.

site navigation menu problem.
    Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Chris9584,

Sorry for the delay -

Looks like you've already resolved it, but for future reference, you can use the instructions above and select existing to add the menu to a page.

Hope this helps, thanks.

Ehsan
    Photo of Bill2741

Bill2741

How do I make it so those viewing my webpage know how to go to the second page? I only see one page when I look at the webpage, but I am suppose to be able to access 3 pages. Is that not for one site? I want people to turn to the next page...how do I do it?

How do people get to my second page?.