How do I clear my cache and cookies in my web browser?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
There are many reasons you may have to occasionally clear the cookies and cache from your web browser. Here's a little trick that works on almost every web browser. Hold down the following keys: Ctrl+Shift+Delete and you'll get a pop-up. Be sure to select/check Browsing & Download History, Cookies, and Cache.

After you've cleared the history, then close and reopen your browser.

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,578 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Official Response
Depending on your browser, you'll get a popup that looks similar to this:

Select the boxes shown, and click "clear now"
Photo of Kathy6531

Kathy6531

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
It sticks so every time i move the cursor the photo or navigation bar or text box moves with it. Very frustrating!

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How do I unstick the move icon?.
Photo of rebelsmouse5683

rebelsmouse5683

• 62 Points
How come my website shows a different colored background when viewed in Google Chrome, than views in Mozilla Firefox (which displays my correct settings)? Can I fix that?

Website background automatically variating between Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
Photo of jones7078

jones7078

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I edited my website and published but do not see the edited version.
Photo of troisutton8297

troisutton8297

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
why are my changes on my website not showing up after I publish?.

I've changed the navigation buttons on all my pages. They show up fine while I'm editing, but when I preview or even after I publish, it still shows the old ones.
Photo of Julianna1560

Julianna1560

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Site Preview not allowing me to preview how my site will look....

Is there an issue with Site Preview? For the past week I made changes to my site, but am unable to Preview how it will look once it is an active website... Please advise, as this has worked prior to the last week?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,558 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Your browser has cached the preview page as it thinks it's doing you a favor as it loads faster that way. You'll need to clear the cache so that it downloads the correct page.
Photo of Carmen Mendenhall

Carmen Mendenhall

Website Editor.

I have done pgs 1-3. Next row down, choose page 4, choose page 5 and continue towebsite editor will not work.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

After you clear your cache/cookies, try it again except use the Firefox browser instead.
Photo of weddingindelhi7505

weddingindelhi7505

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thumbnail Photographs Opens up to other pictures.

I am creating a website on homestead website builder.
i just noticed a problem with thumbnail images. when i click on thumbnail images,many a times it opens to some other photographs.
http://weddingindelhi.intuitwebsites....
check on this link.

how to overcome this problem.

thanks'
Atul
Photo of cheercfx

cheercfx

• 88 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Images show up correctly in sitebuilder but not in preview mode.

I'm almost ready to publish my site after working on it for longer than I care to admit. However, when I hit the preview button, half of my pictures are the default images instead of my company's images. When I return to the sitebuilder, the images are correct. I've tried reuploading the pictures, which fixed one but not the other three.

How can I fix this?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

First try to clear your cache and cookies. If that does not work. Try to delete the image from the page. Save the page without the image. Then click Insert > image and import the new image.

Mike
Photo of Jill8623

Jill8623

Is there a delay between the time you publish after making site changes until the site appears updated?.

I added a button to my site replacing another and published. When I go into my site the old button is still there .... I want it to be gone and the new one to appear. Is there a delay does anyone know?

Thanks!

Jill
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You should see the change right away. If not it's probably just your browsers  cache. Follow the steps here and it should work.

Mike
Photo of Holly9042

Holly9042

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you---this solved the problem of my 2nd website publishing with some of the design elements/content (background, footer) from my 1st website.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Great. Let us know if you have any other questions.

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike
Photo of Paul5114

Paul5114

screen lock up and inability to use buttons.

Sirs, I am having a problem using buttons at the top of each screen including the save and publish buttons and also the top buttons in the file manager. The file manager screen locks up and I have to restart the log in prossess.
Photo of yvette3942

yvette3942

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
publish.

my site builder is not working how can I get a new load I can not publish when i publish more of 3 little foto's
Photo of Laura J5134

Laura J5134

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If clearing your cookies and cache doesn't fix the problem, then check your browser or security software for a pop-up blocker causing the issue.
Photo of Janeiro2385

Janeiro2385

website not showing preview.

would make changes to my website www.donavon cash.com . well updates are not shown in the published site
Photo of msettles812957772

msettles812957772

When building my webpage pictures that are not on it appear on it when I preview the website. Why cant I see these pics when im editing?.

When I started building the web page and ried to move pics around some just disappeared! I just assumed since I couldn't see them they weren't there. But when I preview my page I see them. I go back to edit to remove them.... and there not there????
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If clearing your cookies and cache does not work. Try deleting the image from the page, then save the page without the pictures, and re-add the pictures, using the option under the "Insert" button, instead of the "replace' button.
Photo of Steve0692

Steve0692

• 524 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

This sounds like a memory issue on the computer. You'll want to clear your cookies and cache, close the browser, log back in and try again.

Mike.
Photo of lfca1974

lfca1974

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
i cannot access my website using google chrome but i can with internet explorer and others this seems to be a new problem.

When testing my placement with google i noticed that I can no longer connect to my website with google chrome but can with internet explorer. Does anyone know what the problem may be?
Photo of stoyg7240

stoyg7240

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
trouble.

I have been building my website with no trouble, but now I opn the sitebuilder to edit it and only get blank pages. How do I return to the previous version which I had built? I can get the full version when I preview. Thanks.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Log out of your account and try clearing the cache. Then try again

Drew
Photo of PAREISHIA4675

PAREISHIA4675

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
That happened to me, when I hitthe preview button I can see the pages I built. but when I went into site manager I didn't, so I keep refreshing and finally that worked, not sure why it was glitching but I'm not sure if that helped.
oh, You can also clear your cache by going to the top left on your computer where you see( file, edit, view, favorite,... etc)
Well click on TOOLS then go to INTERNET OPTIONS, then in your General tab find "browsing history" and hit DELETE and cache (leave everything checked) then hit DELETE and all will be cleared
Photo of Joel6552

Joel6552

Server still down or down yet again?.

I haven't been able to get on the server since 1/3/2014 in the afternoon to work on my site. When will the server be back up?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Try this. There have been no outages this weekend.

Thanks

Drew
my site says underconstruction still how long does this take.

my web site has said under construction now for 2 days. how long before its all up?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Try clearing your history. I am not seeing an under construction message. on your site. Unless you are referring to the image you have on the site. If that is what you are referring to then just remove it and publish again.

Thanks

Drew
i don't know how to do that
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Following the instructions at the top of this thread.

Drew
Photo of Jennifer3381

Jennifer3381

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
unable to change font, size and color of text.

When I highlight or select text to make changes, as soon as I click on it the curser pops back up to the top of the page. I've tried creating a new text box and it still doesnt work.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Try to clear your cookies and Cache, then close the browser and try again. I see some of your loggin session were with IE7 and some with Firefox . Keep using Firefox and you will likely not have this problem. Let us know if you do.
Photo of Aaron1983

Aaron1983

internet explore shows changes to my site but google chrome does'nt.

After I publish my site the changes show up when I view it on internet explorer but not google chrome. How can I get chrome to show the new published pages.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Aaron1983, If the changes are showing in one browser, but not another, it's most likely a caching issue in the browser. Clear the cache, close the browser and test it again. If you are not familiar with the process follow the steps above.

Mike
Photo of Bob0041

Bob0041

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Bob0041, The live site is currently showing a black background. If you are still having the problem try clearing the browsers cache.

Mike