How do I clear my browser's cache?

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I keep seeing older files on my website after I publish. When talking to someone they told me I need to clear the cache and temporary internet files within my browser. How do I clear my browser's cache?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How do I clear my browser's cache?.

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the New photo does not publish. topic.
Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 42,836 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Aubrey T

Aubrey T

• 15,316 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi,

If you've recently published and are seeing things like old text and images on your website, you may need to clear your Internet browser's history. Your browser keeps a cache or temporary memory of sites you've visited to speed up loading times. This means you might see a previous version of your site if you've just published.

Instructions are provided below for clearing the cache of different browsers, depending on what you use.

Internet Explorer 8.0 and higher

1. Hold down the Ctrl, Shift, and Delete keys at the same time.

2. In the Delete Browsing History window, make sure Temporary Internet files, Cookies, and History are checked. Make sure Preserve Favorites website data is unchecked.

3. Click Delete.

4. Close and re-open Internet Explorer.

Firefox

2. In the Clear All History window, for the Time range to clear: box, click the down arrow and choose Everything.

3. Make sure Browsing & Download History, Cookies, and Cache are checked.

4. Click Clear Now.

5. Close and re-open Firefox.

Chrome

2. In the Clear Browsing Data window, for the Obliterate the following items from: box, click the down arrow and choose the beginning of time.

3. Make sure Clear browsing history, Empty the cache, and Delete cookies and other site and plug-in data are checked.

4. Click Clear Browsing Data.

5. Close and re-open Chrome.

Safari

1. In the upper right hand corner, click the Settings icon. Click Reset Safari....

2. Make sure Clear history, Remove all webpage preview images, Close all Safari windows, and Remove all website data are checked.

3. Click Reset.

4. Close and re-open Safari.

Hope this helps!

Did this answer help? If so, please mark 'good answer' below for other people to find this post. Also like us on Facebook and Twitter to learn more about how to grow your business.