Can I add different fonts that are not already on the dropdown list? Is it possible?

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

Photo of charlierivera9803

charlierivera9803

• 1,010 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of George7467

George7467

• 3,590 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Why doesn't Homestead have more fonts? (just kidding, Aaron. Thank you for providing a detailed explanation).

But it would be great if there was some way to add more fonts to Homestead without having to use a separate program like Photoshop. Perhaps a future version of Homestead could convert the font of your choice to an image automatically. That way, it would be easy for people to use, and the resulting webpage (fonts) would look the same on all devices (windows-based computers, Android devices, etc.)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,796 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It is possible we might do so. I have seen a number of people saying they are using Google fonts on Homestead. You could try that.

Drew
Photo of George7467

George7467

Thanks, Drew. I'll check out Google fonts.

It's frustrating to choose a font in Homestead (even a simple font like Arial Black) and then find out it looks different on an Android device. That's not Homestead's fault, but if Homestead could come up with a work-around for the problem (such as automatically converting text to images, or converting text to CSS like Google fonts does), that might be a desirable feature.
Photo of ojoreweems1826

ojoreweems1826

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Question For : Mike F. How Do you import your own fonts into your editing system?.

I just bought the trial system and went straight to editing after choosing the template. The standard fonts are dry and leave no impression so I'd like to upload some of my own and use them around the sitebuilder.
Photo of EDMHIPPIE

EDMHIPPIE

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Sorry but there's not a way to import other fonts. There is a pretty good explanation above.

Mike
Photo of George7467

George7467

The WIX website builder has over 65 beautiful fonts built into it. Best yet, they look the way they are supposed to look on Windows and Android devices. I have no idea how WIX is implementing their fonts, but they found a way to do it.

I very much like Homestead's SiteBuilderLPX, but it would be so much better if it offered a wide selection of professional-looking fonts, and having them display correctly on Windows and Android devices is vital for a professional-looking website.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hello George7467, You can implement just about any font you want if you copy it from another program and then save it as an image file and import it like an ordinary image. Or some other services may use other methods such as Flash. There are drawbacks to this though. When you have text saved as an image file, then it is not readable by the search engines making the site less SEO friendly. Also, Google is really starting to shy away against the use of Flash. So, when you'll want to weigh out the pros and cons of doing this before you design the site.

Mike
Photo of George7467

George7467

Thanks, Mike. That's certainly an option, and ALT text can be assigned to images.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

George7467,

Yes. After you import an image to any page, look on the right side of the screen and you'll see a field to add ALT text.

Mike
Photo of Jeanni7165

Jeanni7165

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I read it.  I get it.  I just don't have Photoshop and can't afford to buy it.  But i will NOT post any more about "why aren't there more fonts?"!  See?  Some of us CAN learn!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Jeanni7165,   Do you by any chance have Microsoft Office (Word or PowerPoint)?

They are loaded with fonts.  You can make some pretty good looking fonts, colors backgrounds, shadows etc. in PowerPoint if that helps.

Mike

Photo of Mamie5199

Mamie5199

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How can I add a new font option to the editor.

The fonts available to add to my website are very limited. Can I add more fonts to choose from off of my pc?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Mamie5199,  Sorry it's not possible, but this thread explains why and provides some other options. 
Photo of Nicolas6724

Nicolas6724

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How can I add other fonts?.

I' like to add fonts from other sources, besides what I get from sitebuilder. Is this possible?
Photo of William S

William S

• 18,878 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hello,

There will be an update to our SiteBuilder Plus platform only that will roll out on 07/29/2015 that will implement an additional 36 new Google Fonts. We realize this list may not incorporate every font choice, and may not include a personal favorite. We tried to implement the most popular and common fonts in the web industry that our current SiteBuilder Plus does not have.

Here is the list of the fonts being added:

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.