How can I verify my site with Google Webmaster Tools?

• Article
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
Here are instructions to verify your website with Google Webmaster Tools:.

Note: Google requires a unique domain to verify your site (http://www.mybusiness.com). A domain like http://mybusiness.homestead.com won't be able to be verified. If you don't have a domain, first go to Registering a Domain.

Start in Google Webmaster Tools
  1. Sign in to Google Webmaster Tools

2. Click ADD A SITE.

3. Enter the website you'd like to verify. Then, click Continue.

4. Select Alternate Methods.

5. Choose the option Add a meta tag to your site's home page.

6. Copy the meta tag listed. You must copy the code exactly. We highly recommend using copy/paste.

Back in your website

1. Important: Go to your home (index) page.

2. Then, click Page Settings. Select Advanced Settings.

3. In the Add HTML or Javascript field, paste the code from Webmaster tools.

4. Click Save. Then, click Publish. Select This Page when confirming what you'd like to save and publish.

5. Back in Google Webmaster Central, click VERIFY.

Webmaster Central will confirm that your verification was successful.

Note: To stay verified, don't remove the HTML file or meta tag, even after verification succeeds.
Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 42,506 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Mary7028

Mary7028

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I have tried to do this as per instructions several times and am not succeeding.  My website is stephensings.com and I would appreciate it if you could do this for me.  Google verification code is:     google18993952d89bdcc2.html

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,796 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Mary7028,

Hi Mary. You are not going to want to use that method. That is the page method and you have already reached your page limit. In your Google webmaster tools account, look for the tab, alternative method on the verification. Select domain, then select other as the domain provider. Google will then provide you a TXT record to add to the domain records. This method will not cost you additional money for an added page. Once you have that, go to the domains tab and click on advanced DNS settings under your domain. Clcik on the edit button and scroll to the TXT records. If Google specifies a name or host, add that in the name field on the left. Then put the text string in the right and hit ok. If they don't specify a name or host, put an @ in the name column. Click ok and wait at least 5-10 minutes. It should verify then.

If you uploaded that page, it will not publish because of the page limit and is why it won't verify. You will want to open the file manager and delete that page. If you need any help with this, feel free to ask.
Photo of Mary7028

Mary7028

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks a million....worked perfectly :)
Mary
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,796 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You're welcome