How can I sell eBooks?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I currently have the business plan for my websites. I'd like to start on online store that will ultimately be selling eBooks. Does the Business Pro with storefront have the ability to manage selling eBooks, including controlling downloads and/or customer "bookshelves"?
Thanks.
Photo of Karen9167

Karen9167

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Out Storefront can be a standalone product. It has the ability to sell downloads. We are currently changing our platform, so if you are interested, we need to get you started as the links in your account are for the old platform. Let us know if you are interested.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Karen9167

Karen9167

Thanks for responding, Drew. Yes, I would like to get started with a storefront. I am planning to add a 3rd domain, which will be a storefront. But I will also want to sell eBooks from one of my other, older, domains. What do I need to do to get that in place so I can create the new domain/storefront?
Thanks, Karen
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Unfortunately, due to the migration, I can't get you started today. There is no easy sign up flow, but I have your account information and we can get this going for you first thing in the morning.

Is the new Storefront with new domain related to the domain and the ebooks? Typically you don't want 2 domains pointing to a single website. Search engines see the exact same thing on 2 sites and ding you for duplicate content. Bigcommerce, for this reason, allows you to only configure 1 domain.

You can circumvent this by using domain forwarding, which many companies support, but not us, as domain 2 forwards to domain 1. When I arrive at domain 1, I see domain 1 in the address bar, not domain 2. Search engines consider this an improper redirect and domain 2 would suffer ranking.

If they are related I would suggest that you have a minimum 3 page site for domain 2 that ultimately has links to the store. This will allow both domains to avoid ranking hits.

If they are unrelated businesses, you can still do the above paragraph, but a better solution is a second Storefront.

Does that help?

Drew
Photo of Karen9167

Karen9167

Hi - I'm not in a particular hurry, so it certainly doesn't have to be today. Basically I have 3 businesses - the 2 domains I have now are 2 separate businesses, and the 3rd domain/website will be completely separate. Each domain does/will point to a different website. So, they are only related in that they are all mine.

The new one will be more of a storefront, with a number of different items, and may or may not eventually have some eBooks on it.

One of my existing domains is for a publishing businesses. That is where I am planning to start selling eBooks within the next few months.

So, it sounds like, yes, I am looking at 2 storefronts. My main concern will be pricing... If I'm doing a Storefront on 2 different/separate domains/websites, is that twice the cost/fees? I guess I was hoping that I'd add the upgrade/service to my overall account and be able to use it for any of the 3 domains/websites.

Thanks for all the help,
Karen
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You can use just one if you like, it can just be that sometimes 2 different products for sale can confuse people. In an extreme case, many people will not shop at a store that offers a crazy separation of classes, like medical supplies and gun parts.

On the other have if you sell books and living room/den furniture, that would not likely turn people off. In fact you might be able to make things that are close enough complement each other.

My advice would be to get started with the new store and then if/when you decide to sell ebooks, then we can have a discussion about how we might integrate it into your existing store or how it might be better to go with a second store.

However it happens, you will always be billed through Homestead. We can only attach 1 Storefront to an account. If it turns out you have to have 2 Storefronts, then we would open a second Homestead account. It does add to the cost a little, but again you might make a great store for the new domain, and then look at it and realize that your publishing business really doesn't fit the design.

Everything I am talking about revolves around the promotion of your businesses. From a technical aspect you only need 1 store.

Drew

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.