How can I make my website mobile friendly?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Google changes and mobile websites

Is there a way to make my website mobile friendly on smart phones?
Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 41,996 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of shane7741

shane7741

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Web site doesn't fit on my android phone.

Finished up with the new website today. When I looked at my site on my android phone it makes the web site look like pictures are overlapping? Is there a correction for this?
Photo of William S

William S

• 18,878 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello Shane,
Homestead websites are not mobile optimized, and can load incorrectly on mobile phones. If you want the site to load better, we do partner with DudaMobile for mobile sites. More information can be found above. 
Photo of Maurice2103

Maurice2103

• 1,256 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, personally I'm giving serious consideration to moving my sites somewhere else. There is no builder mobile integration which is insane in 2015... As well, the ability to code anything on your site without messing up the connection with the site builder. When I first started with homestead it was the easiest and that was it's draw, that is no longer the case. So that leaves a huge hole in your model. Time to update, before you get left behind.
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

• 3,296 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Although I agree, I am not sure they can just update.  Seems like it would be a huge change rather than an update to their exisiing platform.  But not being a techie, I really don't know.
Photo of Maurice2103

Maurice2103

What is really insane it DUDA also does site building... Unless intuit is planning on buying Duda, this makes ZERO sense. Most who see the ad on mobile would choose to use Duda instead of homestead all together, I know I would. What are you guys doing??? I'm so baffled.
Photo of Jackie9728

Jackie9728

• 60 Points
I have kept my site to a simple 5 page site for a few years and avoided adding content. Because, for the price, Homestead really doesn't offer a great deal and have been planning to move for a LONG time now. I rank pretty well for my desired keywords, so I have been waiting for the right time.  With the Google update that increases the importance of mobile site...I'll be moving my site really soon. The simple URL structure will be easy to reproduce, and I can finally access my code. That's what Homestead needs to do; give access to the entire domain root. So we can customize the CSS file for media queries. All of my CSS is inline. I would never build a site like this again. I have often wondered if Google gives some weight to Homestead sites, but I guess the mobile issue will force me to find out. I can't imaging anyone having a site on Homestead that wouldn't be easy to replicate the link structure and reproduce the site with modern updates. ie html 5, and external CSS 3/Javascript files.
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

Would love to hear how you make out.  Right now I have over 700 pages on my site  so I am hesitant to make a change. Send me a pm if you ever get the chance. 
Photo of Emily5008

Emily5008

• 936 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Has anyone come up with a better solution? I have not been happy with the other hosting sites I have explored. I absolutely love the Site Builder here, and have always preferred its user-friendly format.

Please, Homestead, give us a FREE option. The 500 views "thing" for the free Dudamobile is not good for many of us.
Photo of Maurice2103

Maurice2103

That's the thing. I personally don't know if the Duda thing will suffice and if it doesn't, it will mean having to pay they more. This can't be anything but a stop gap. I am already thinking about how I will go about getting on another service with a proper builder with responsive design.

I think I'll have to transfer my sites registrar to something like go daddy and then use a different service to build the sites, like Square Space or DudaOne. Either way, it's looking like there is no other real option. Not if you want to be up to date with what's going on with sites and web design.
(Edited)
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

The Dudamobile site does rank well with Google's new emphasis on mobile.  Apparently having a separate mobile site does not hurt.
Photo of Emily5008

Emily5008

One of the main issues, is having to pay more for a service to "mobilize" our websites, when most of the other hosting companies have that option built in.

I see that one of the other discussions about this has been closed to additional comments or replies. That is a shame, as many of us are voicing our dissatisfaction with being required to pay for something else. I am aware that there is a free version of Dudamobile, but it will not serve my purposes.
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

I think the problem is not that Homestead refuses to make it responsive, but they cannot make it responsive due to the way Homestead is designed.
Photo of Emily5008

Emily5008

Thanks, Gloria. I didn't really think they were simply being stubborn.

Regarding what you said, that is different, then. If they cannot, they cannot.

I just have a lot more faith in their engineers than that. Any company that can create an easy-to-use, flexible, user-friendly Site Builder like the desktop version, could certainly find a way to incorporate the mobile option into the code.

In the past, they have made many updates that were wonderful. I do not look forward to moving my sites, so I don't have to pay something else to a third party.
Photo of Maurice2103

Maurice2103

Emily5008 I think their closing down the thread about Responsive Websites gives me all the information I need to know about their plans for making the site builder better and namely they have no plans for it. Not only that but closing it seems a bit cowardly to me.

I would start a new topic about it but I'm sure I would receive the same, "it's not on our road map" reply. They are counting on people staying because of the trouble of switching.

What I'm going to do is start building my sites on one of the other services and when I have them built, I will transfer the registrar to them or another registrar. That is one of the problems, some services like square space don't do transfers of your site. Annoying.

In any case, homestead has proven it's going nowhere slowly but I can't do that anymore. It will be a pain and a nightmare but in the end, I believe it will be worth it.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.