How Can I Make a Word Press Blog Appear to Reside on My Site?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

There was a post in this forum about linking an external blog, such as a Word Press blog, to a homestead website, such that it appears (to my visitors) that my Word Press Blog is on my homestead website. The technician that responded to the original question acknowledged that while I cannot actually put a Word Press blog on my site, I can create a "shadow page," (that is, a page something like the blog page that shows within site builder if I am using a homestead blog), and then use a "redirect" command of a type to cause my Word Press Blog to appear when a visitor to my site clicks "Blog" in my navigation menu. As I recall, the responding technician also mentioned needing to delete my existing (homestead) blog, because I am only permitted one blog on my site. I don't seem to be able to bring that post up now. Please provide instructions for the operation of creating a "shadow page" containing a "redirect," such that a Word Press Blog can be made to appear as though it resides on my homestead website, or provide a link to the post that I am referencing.
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

• 784 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,478 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Ronald5605,

There are several different ways that you could do this. If you want the blog to appear that is part of your Homestead site, you can use what is known as an Iframe. It's just a matter of inserting a small snippet of code in the page. In the code below, you just get the blogs url from whoever is hosting the blog and replace it where it says "www.yourdomain.com".

Then you place this code on whatever page you want your blog to be on .
The sample above is a very simple Iframe. If you Google Iframe Generator, you'll find lots of websites that can help you create a more custom Iframe with borders, colors and control the dimensions of the frame.

There are also different methods of doing redirects. You can create a manual link right in SiteBuilder, but if you want a page to auto-redirect, there is a simple code you can place in the head section of the page you are re-directing from. Let us know which options you want to go with and we'll do our best to help you out.

Mike

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate my performance
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

Truly, what is advantageous about having a Word Press blog linking to my homestead website? I gather that it is simply a very popular blog, and therefore the best place to put articles that link back to my website.

As to your question of which one of the options that you mention I would opt for to implement a Word Press blog on my homestead site, I have the following thoughts:

I have a well defined theme for each of my homestead pages, that is, the images that appear on all of my web site pages. I gather that, from the options that you mention, only an iframe, (and not any kind of redirect), would permit me to display my homestead theme with my Word Press blog?

I have not use an iframe in the past. If I were going use an iframe, would I not need to size it according to my Word Press Blog? In what case would the simple iframe code that you provided NOT result in properly displaying another page, such as a Word Press blog? (My Word Press blog presently has the default display... I have not done any customization.) Before I try to implement an iframe to display my Word Press blog on my website, should If first research the size of my Word Press blog, and then choose use an iframe code that lets me size the frame accordingly, or can I expect the simple code that you provided to be adequate?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

The main advantage to having WordPress, or any blog for that matter is that it is an easy way to add new content to your site. The search engines tend to like sites that have fresh new content. At the same time it can make it easy for you to manage certain types of content.

You are right, you'll want to find out what the size of the WordPress page is and adjust the size of the iframe to accommodate it. For esample, let say you find out that the WordPress page is 900 px wide, then you would probably want to make your Homestead page about 1100px wide so that there is a bit of a margin on both sides. There will be a little trial and error in adjusting the size but overall it will be fairly simple and we can guide you. The code above will more than likely work just fine.

Mike
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

Let's say I do decide to IFrame my Word Press blog on my Homestead site, are search engines going to regard new content published to my Word Press Blog as being present on my homestead site?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Great question.... the answer is No at least not through your site. However since the WordPress site will have it's own unique URL, it can still be indexed by Google, but the blog won't have the same effect as adding content directly to your site. Iframes are handy for many things but that is one drawback. it's like an invisible hole in your page that the SE's can't see.

if the primary purpose of the Blog is to generate traffic to your site, then the Iframe will not help.

Mike
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

With it in mind that an iframe creates a hole, or void, in my website, (from search engine's perspective), I would not seem to want to use one, content being King. I notice that the URL extension of my Homestead Blog is somewhat different than the pages that I (manually) added to my site. Please verify that search engines read posts to my homestead blog as being new content on my site.

Do search engines read the written and photographic contents of my individual Simple Store pages as being content on my website?

When I generated my XML sitemap, it reported "7 broken links." My links seem to be in tact. Can things other than links that do not work be identified as broken links? If so what? Please verify that search engines, or site map generators, do not access my file manager.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you use Homestead's Blog which is build right into SiteBuilder then it is readable so for SEO purposes it will be better. The same is true for the SimpleStore. The SE's can pickup any of the text you put in you product names, descriptions etc.

The Search Engines and Sitemap generators don't really have direct access to your file manager. But, they do follow all the links on your site to pick up on any pages that are in the file manager. So if you have page or any files in your file manager that have never been linked from other pages, the sitemap generator won't know about it. If you are getting errors saying that you have broken links then, the possibilities are that, you might have broken links, or a page has been deleted from the file manager and it can't be found, or a page has been moved within the file manager into a new folder (I noticed you have a Blog page located in a folder named Blog) which which could cause this. Or, perhaps there's a page that is unpublished.

Unless your website his extremely large, you can probably look at the sitemap which was generated and make sure it lists all the pages.

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate my performance

Thanks!

Mike
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

All of the links that I have (within my site at large) to my blog were made after I put blog.xpf into the folder that you mention, which is titled "Blog"... so, it would not seem that the site-map generator would encounter any broken links to my blog page. I believe that all my links, sitewide, are in tact, but I will keep checking. As to the "7 broken links" found by the site-map generator, perhaps due attention should be given to the fact that, with their report of "7 broken links, they are offering, for a monthly fee, to keep me "free of broken links, listed in a new directory every month and ..."

...bye the way, can you explain, or offer a remedy for the appearance of the pop-up menu-box for doing such things as copying/pasting text boxes partially behind, rather than on, the page, such that it is inaccessible? I notice that this particular quirk does not happen in chrome or firefox, only in IE, but other site builder quirks occur in those, such as text boxes moving to position 0 from the left, regardless of what I am typing the box...it seems to be a trade off of one set of quirks or another (in each browser)...
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

I see that Simple Store product pages are named according to the text I enter in the Product Name field. However, when I change a product name, which I am doing as per my keyword research for SEO, the change is not reflected in that product's page name, which is also important for SEO: In Simple Store, is there any way of changing the name of a particular product page without having to delete the product and enter it anew? You mentioned that Simple Store is being It re-vamped. It would really be great if Simple Store included a file manager, for doing such things as renaming pages, deleting obsolete attribute definitions, deleting photos no longer in use, etc.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Good observation. Right now the best option is to delete the product and re-add it. We have brought that to the attention of the developers but not sure when, or which release it will be possible.
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

sorry about the mention of "sitebuilder quirks"... for all I know, it may be browser quirks. I do see that site builder presents differently, and functions somewhat differently from browser to browser. Chrome & Firefox present site builder similarly, and it is in these browsers that text boxes "jump" to position zero; when this happens, they cannot be positioned by using the keyboard. In IE, the pop-up box for copying/pasting various things, such as text boxes or buttons, is sometimes accessible, and other times it hides behind the page, such that it is inaccessible.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

No need to apologize... we want to know about any quirks so we can get them reported. There are indeed some quirks associated with different browsers and we've found that there are a variety of causes, Sometimes it's a simple cookies/cache issue, other times issues can be cause by 3rd party browser add-ons and extensions, etc. We are constantly working to make the software compatible with all the major browsers, but right now, I would say that Firefox is the one that almost always works without any hiccups.

If you do have an issue that you can't resolve or please let us know.

Mike
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

I want to respond to your last, but first I have 2 new questions:

1. How might I add a "search this site" feature to my website?

2. How might I include the option to display my site in Spanish or English?

Issues and wish list for SiteBuilder:

1. It would be nice to have a Find and Replace feature (for editing text.)

2. mysterious addition of upside down question marks (as in the syntax of a written question in Spanish) in Product Descriptions on Simple Store pages. (All Browsers)

3. Text boxes "jumping" to position zero from the left, and having to be manually placed (FireFox and Chrome).

4. The right-click menu box for doing such things as copying and pasting text boxes, buttons etc. is often entirely invisible or only partially visible, inaccessible for intents and purposes. (Internet Explorer)

5. When working inside a text box:

A. Pasted text placement varies; often, it does not appear at the intended position. All Browsers.

1. Sometimes duplicate text is pasted.

B. Sometimes entire sentences or even blocks of text disappear when an attempt is made to delete only one or more characters of text. All Browsers.

C. Attempts to Bold or un-bold text produce varied results, almost never what you expect, and frequently very much counterproductive, as in lost text, or having to retype text to get what you want. All Browsers.

E. Attempting to use the back button is like Russian roulette- you may lose a paragraph you just worked for 10 minutes on. Back button usage sometimes locks the program up, does nothing, or undoes something other than the last operation. All Browsers.

6. Long wait times between page refreshes, which are often necessary to restore functionality to the sitebuilder program. (A short-term remedy for such "occurrences" as as text boxes jumping to position zero from the left is to refresh the page.) All Browsers.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Thanks for sharing your wishlist/bug fix request. Fortunately sever things you mention are already being fixed or under consideration.

For your first question, there are several ways to add a search feature to your site. This web page does a good job of explaining the options: http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/...

As far as the ability to display a site in a different language, the best way is to create a 2nd site in the language you need. I don't know of any such tool in existence that can automatically convert a site.

There are a lot of people that use Google Translate to translate the text, then create a duplicate site http://translate.google.com/

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

Following the link that you sent, I see that either PHP or PERL script must be supported by my web server to install my own search engine script on my site, which the article identifies as being the preferable option for including a "search this site" facility on a website.

Looking into this forum to see if PHP or PERL script is supported, I find that, (as of 15 days ago), PHP was not supported. Is PERL supported?

Which of the options that are discussed at the link that you sent are currently being utilized by Homestead website owners? Two options are listed, in addition to installing ones own (PHP or PERL) search engine script, including 2) using a third party hosted search engine, or 3) using a major search engine.

The second link that you sent seems to be a duplicate of the first link... did you intend to send a link about creating a duplicate site?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sorry, I didn't get the correct link pasted above. I did fix it so thank you for pointing that out to me.

As far as PHP or PERL, neither one are supported. If you need a host that can support PHP or PERL, my recommendation would be to consider BlueHost or Hostgator.

Mike
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

...think I will stay with Site Builder...

I am using the following code to style a table:

<!--
table
{font-family:Georgia; color:#5f4330;
margin:0px; padding:0px;}
-->

(I am placing this into the box for "Head Tag HTML" under "Advanced Settings>")

The corresponding HTML that I am using (in an HTML element) on my page is this:

Fitting Style
Add to Your Wrist Circumference

Snug Fit
Add 1/4" to 1/2"

Comfortable Fit
Add 3/4" to 1"

Loose Fit
Add 1-1/4"

This styling plus this Html code results in column widths that are NOT sized according to my text; e.g., the header "Add to Your Wrist Circumference" appears on several lines, and not on one line, as I want it to: How should my CSS code be changed/corrected to make it 1) be syntactically correct for styling a table; and 2) to make column width large enough to display "Add to Your Wrist Circumference" (or any other text) on a single line?

Note, I have already tried entering a line of CSS styling code that reads: {
table-layout:auto;} The addition of this line of CSS code had the effect of eliminating the effect of the other CSS code shown above, instead of making the column widths adjust to the length of unbroken text. Please, what am I doing wrong?

Ronald
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

Oops, I see that the HTML that I included in my question does not appear in what you are seeing. If you are able to access my filemanager, the page that I am referring to is this one: handmade-cuff-bracelet-pulseras-hechas-a-mano-grandes-2.xpf. You will see an HTML-HTML-2 element, which contains the aforementioned HTML code. The corresponding CSS is, of course, under Page Settings-Advanced Settings. Alternatively, you could view the basic HTML code that I used for my table here: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_ta...
It is the last example on that page, titled "HTML Table Headers).
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Ronald, Sorry but we don't have the ability to troubleshoot custom code. If you are having trouble with the code for your table, you might try using one of the methods mentioned in these two threads.

https://community.homestead.com/homes...

https://community.homestead.com/homes...

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike
Photo of Bob1065

Bob1065

• 914 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Add Blogger Blog to Homestead Website.

This should be easy but I've read a lot of community posts and still can't get a strait answer.

All I want to know is how to find the html code on Blogger for a particular blog that I can then insert into a Homestead HTML box so the blog appears on my website.

I would prefer not to download sitebuilder on my PC because it is a problem.

Thanks!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Ask Blogger, or check their site to see if they provide the embed code. Otherwise you can do an Iframe like explained above.

mike

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.