How can I get Homestead support to check for problems in mail forwarding?

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

How can I get Homestead support to check for problems in mail forwarding?

I have been forwarding all my emails that come into my Homestead account to GMAIL for years. Lately I have become aware that some of them are not reaching my GMAIL account. After painstakingly trying to get help from Homestead and GMAIL support (pointing fingers at each other). I decided to forward all my emails from my Homestead email to my new OUTLOOK account. To be able to determine if I was getting all my emails, I changed my setting in my Homestead email to KEEP a copy on the server so I could verify later. And I have found that I am not getting all the emails that come into my Homestead account. There are NO FILTERS set. They ARE NOT in my spam folder. The common denominator now is Homestead forwarding and not the receiving email accounts.
Photo of Rick6206

Rick6206

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,796 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Good morning,

We are investigating the reason some people are unable to forward all emails to other email accounts. It is not a system issue. The spam filter is a reputation based filter and stops certain mails with key elements in them that look like spam. The definitions in these filters are accumulated based on the behavior of people around the world marking emails as spam.

The first thing you want to do is make sure all your email addresses that you send to are valid and the recipient wants to read your mail. This will help you over time. We are developing a new tracking tool that will allow us to see more into the behavior of the forward and hopefully find the cause behind your forward being blocked.

I understand the convenience of forwarding mail to one account and working from there, but from my personal standpoint, I will share how I use the web. If I send a message to you@yourdomain, and then you forward to your gmail or Outlook and reply to me, then I see the message coming from Outlook or gmail. In these cases, unless I am desperate for whatever you are offering, I will cease communication with you. Again, this is my personal opinion, but if I send a message to yourdomain, I want to see a response from yourdomain. For this reason, I always have and always will recommend that you check you email directly. There are many ways to do this. You can log in to hmail, you can use Outlook on your computer, or use a mobile device. Even gmail can be set up to check your business mail directly, so you are sending and receiving from yourdomain. It can make a little more work on your side, but it looks far more professional to me.

We will have an update this coming week on the forwarding issue. In the mean time, you will need to continue to confirm by checking your hmail separately. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Rick6206

Rick6206

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Drew,

thanks for the response. The email addresses are valid. The forwarding was working up to a few weeks ago to the same addresses (which are mine)

The third paragraph does not apply as I have addressed this on my signature pages of my mail application.

for example for the past few years... anything from xxxx@radalink.com sent to my homestead account was forwarded without an issue. The same types of reports are no longer forwarded. Same with my Square credit card processing info... I used to get the transactions forwarded everytime... now Square is no longer forwarded.

Again... I do not have any filters on and the forwarded emails do not end up in SPAM or trash.

I can't believe they are just deleted.

I also would think that I would get an email back at my homestead email account that the mail could not be forwarded. There is no indication that it was sent or failed.

Thanks for your help.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

That is another problem with forwarding, if the forward message is rejected, it is not you who receives the bounce message, it will be the original sender. That is how forwarding works.

Actually, one thing that can trigger spam filters is an email signature. Is the signature on your hmail, or on your forwarded email? We have had a number of people remove their signatures and they are able to send. We should have an update during the week this week, as we are developing a tool that should help us track down the cause of each person's cause.

Drew
Photo of Dawn2506

Dawn2506

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm using a regular email NOT a homestead account on my contact page form so there is no confusion between forwarding IT SIMPLY DOES NOT WORK! I NEED EMAILS FROM MY WEBSITE - MY BUSINESS LAUNCHES ON MONDAY WITH THE MEDIA AND A 6 O'CLOCK NEWS SPOT WHY IN THE HELL ISN'T EMAIL WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am splitting this thread off, as the form system is not the same as hmail.

I show that your form does now send to a Homestead email address. I added a form to your site as a test and had it sent to my hmail box, and it was delivered immediately.

Did you change where the form is submitted? Are you still having a problem receiving?

Drew Please reference the new topic here: I am not receiving form submissions from my website.
Photo of John5984

John5984

• 60 Points
Yeah, they need to get this fixed. The flipant response from the Homestead employee is annoying at best, enraging at worst. I have not been getting emails forwarded from PAYPAL. This is how I earn my living. Nothing worse than getting phone calls from people who ordered something and want to know where their stuff is. Changing hosts very soon if this is not fixed!!!!!!

John A
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi John5984, Sorry about the issues with the emails from PayPal. We've done some research to see why some people are not getting emails from PayPal forwarded. Our new outgoing mail spam filter is heavily reputation based so when an email comes from a third party such as paypal, and arrives in your hmail and then forwarded to another address, it has to pass through our outgoing server and filter. The problem with the PayPal emails is that too much negative information was received via the feed back loop used by the spam filter. This negative reputation would reflect negatively on Homestead's servers if we were to forward that email on. Continued practice of this could result in our servers getting blacklisted again, the same way that they did a few months ago. We have to protect the sending capabilities of all our customers so the filter is working as intended.

Our full email upgrade will still not be completed for a couple more months as we have millions of accounts to convert to the new platform. Until then, the best advice I can give is to turn off the auto-forward feature on you Hmail account.

Mike

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.