How can I fix a "page not found, 404 error code?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

Photo of Scott5673

Scott5673

• 660 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated!

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of jaime1654

jaime1654

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How do I link pages to the menu?.

On each page there is a menu listing the pages of our site. No matter which page is listed first it doesn't link. I've tried manually linking the pages but that doesn't work either. Currently "home" is the first page listed. If you navigate to another page you cannot return home because the text doesn't contain a link. What am I missing?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Use the steps above as your guide for broken navigation links. When you get to step #3, the link should be "yourpagename.html".

for your home page, get rid of the URL, and just link it to "index.html"

Mike
Photo of jaime1654

jaime1654

That didn't work. When I mouse over the menu item it doesn't even turn into the little select hand. If you don't know what I mean, the menu is in the upper left hand corner of http://www.crossroads-vet.com/
Photo of jaime1654

jaime1654

Never mind. Some blank box was on top of that area blocking the link.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Great. Looks like you have it working.

Mike
When I access my website on line it goes to my Home page. I go to another page and go back to Home I get a blank page..

I've just realized: when I access my website on line it goes to my Home page. If I go to another page and then try to go back to Home I get a blank page. How can this be fixed?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi custommadefitness6402,   You have a broken link, but, it's rather easy to fix.  Follow the process above and when you get to step number 3, make sure that your Home link is link to the page named "index.html".  Right now its linked to "Home-Index.html" which isn't a valid page name. Then after you save and republish the site it will work.  If you have any problems just reply here.

Mike
Photo of Jeanette3130

Jeanette3130

Can view page when editing but can't get it on website..

Just finished a page, saved it and it doesn't appear on my website. Help please, see it on the view page tab but it doesn't show as a page at all on the website.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Jeanette3130,   It looks like the "About Us" navigation link is broken. You just need to link it to the correct page name. Use the example above as a guide. When you link it to the correct page name, and republish the site, it will work.

If you have any problems, or your problem is with a different page or link, let us know.

Mike
Photo of Anne7463

Anne7463

• 292 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Error 404.

I added a page "Recipes" to my website but after I published it when I go to the website and click on Recipes I get an error 404. What is that?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Anne7463,   This page shows how to troubleshoot and fix the broken link. If you have problems, tell us the page name and link name and we'll take a look.

Mike
Photo of Anne7463

Anne7463

Page name is: Hart's Smokin' Sauce
Link:  www.hartssmokinsauce.com
Photo of leslie9476

leslie9476

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Added a page but can not see when logging on website as a visitor.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

leslie9476,  This sounds like a broken navigation link. Follow the steps here and if this doesn't fix the problem please provide more details explaining the problem. 

Mike 
Photo of Anne7463

Anne7463

You say to use the steps above...but there are no steps above! Where are the steps?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Anne7463, you may have to click the "official" link in the red bar just below the first/main post. 
Photo of Sharon3197

Sharon3197

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Error on website page when trying to update it.

I am trying to update my Links page and cannot do so due to a site error 404. Can you please assist me with this problem?
Thank you,
Sharon Warner
www.communicatorforyou.com
203-610-3944
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Sharon3197,   It took a look at the site but an not getting a 404 error.  If you are still having problems this thread shows how to troubleshoot or fix the 404 errors, or if you continue to have problems tell us which links is producing the error, and we'll take a look.

Mike
Photo of Sharon3197

Sharon3197

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Mike-

When I am not logged in I can see the Links page clearly.  However, when I am logged in to edit the pages, I cannot see anything on the Links page except for the error message.  I am at my wits end.  I need more assistance than what you are suggesting. 
Thank you,
Sharon
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Sharon3197,

The page you call links on the menu, is called contact in the drop down.  You can rename the page called links and delete contact if you like.  You are currently using all 5 pages.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of karen4871

karen4871

unable to open new page from site navigation menu.

when I click on the link in my site navigation menu for a new page i created i cannot get the page to open.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Use the steps on this page to find/fix the error.  If you still have problems tell us which link the problem is with and which page it should be opening. 

Mike 
Photo of Allan James8904

Allan James8904

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Error message "Page Not Found"..

I recently updated my website and added a new page "Prologue 3" but when I review the page it came up with an error message "Page Not Found. We apologize for the inconvenience. The page you have requested does not exist or has been moved. Please check to make sure that the URL you entered is accurate".
How do I fix this?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Allan James8904 ,   Follow the steps on this thread.  You need to make sure the spelling in the url you are linking to matches exactly, the spelling of the actual web page.  
Photo of tawanacamille9699

tawanacamille9699

Page not showing up on site.

I can't get my fit bodywrap page to show when you visit page. Says page not found. I have deleted and tried to start over and nothing works. Suggestions?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You have a broken navigation link.  The link is pointing to a page name that does not exist. You can use the example above as a guide to fix the problem. However I see you are using regular image links, rather than the actual navigation menu, but, the link process is still the same, The page you are linking to must exist in the file manager ( or under the View Page button). 

(Edited)
Photo of Cathy5945

Cathy5945

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
edit the pages link.

I added a new page to my website and lost the link to my gallery page. I can see the gallery on the back side, but the website shows a 404 error. How do I fix?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Take a close look at the actual name of the gallery page, and following the steps above, make sure the link name is the exact same as the page you are trying to link to (including the".html").  
Photo of Cathy5945

Cathy5945

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you.  I couldn't remember how to get to that location.   I worked with it and found the name did not match and fixed.  thanks for your help!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

OK. great. Glad that worked. Let us know if we can help again. 

Mike 
Photo of Tricia3807

Tricia3807

My clicking on one of my pages online it will not direct to the Job Listing page.

When online clicking the "Job Listing" page does not bring up the profile page it is attached to.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

That link, is not connected to any page file. Follow the steps on this thread as a guide to fix the link. 
Photo of Alan0144

Alan0144

• 304 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I have created a new page on my website, but when I try to open it, it comes up "....

I have created a new page in Sitebuilder Plus, but when I try to open the website, it comes up "Page Not Found".  What am I doing wrong?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Alan0144 ,  That means you have a page unpublished, or a broken link. Use the steps on this page as a guide to identify the broken link. 

Mike 
Photo of Joan4684

Joan4684

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I don't have the menu on my screen that includes "link," "style," etc. So I can't make the changes you suggest.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You have to select the menu in the editor, then you will see the links tab on the right.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.