How can I fix a "page not found, 404 error code?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

Photo of Scott5673

Scott5673

• 660 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated!

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
A 404 error code (and broken hyperlinks) throw many people for a loop, but once you understand what they are, they are easy to fix. First, a 404 error code appears when you have a broken link on your page. This generally occurs if you have deleted a page, renamed a page, forgot to publish a page, or have your home page named something other than "index", but the hyper-link is still trying to direct the visitor to that page.

1) First take note of the actual page name you are trying to link to.

2) Next from the link List select the link that is broken, then click the Edit Link button

3) The following window will appear. Make sure the spelling is exactly the same as the page you are linking to.

4) If the spelling does not match you can guarantee a correct link by clicking the browse button in the previous window, then scrolling down and selecting the correct page from the list of pages as shown below.

5) After you publish the page, the link should be fixed. You can verify this by looking at the URL in your browser (published site) to make sure the URL matches the page name.

Photo of Carl-Erik5701

Carl-Erik5701

• 156 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
what is a broken link and what can I do to fix it?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
broken links.
Photo of Rebecca

Rebecca

• 62 Points
i want to access my site but its not working.
something about the url site 404 error

when i click go to my website-it says the url is messed up.i can edit any of my pages because it says sight cannot be found-plz.help.
Photo of Tia8168

Tia8168

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
When the changes were made last night it appeared to publish everything. When I checked this morning it reverted back to previous content.

This sucks!!!! what else do I need add to this to get assistance. I just want my page to do what I am paying to have it do. Why do I have to write a thesis!!

I've made numerous changes to my page and when I preview the changes are there but it is not publishing the changes. Why is this happening?.
I am ready to publish my website but there is a site error 404 listed as a page and I cannot delete it. I think I need help from someone that knows this software more than I.

site error 404.
Photo of Catrena9670

Catrena9670

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hello,

I finally published my site and the fourth page is not appearing on the web. It appears on the preview and I have definitely saved it; however, it's not showing up on the web. The message I get is that it can't be found and for me to try other links. Help please.

Should I search the Lost and Found for a missing page not showing up on the web? Smile..
Photo of albertainc1776

albertainc1776

This is the error message I get:

Page Not Found
We apologize for the inconvenience. The page you have requested does not exist or has been moved. Please check to make sure that the URL you entered is accurate.

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the Why wont my photo gallery work? It says it is won't load and is unavailable. topic.

Page not found, error message..
Photo of Connie4724

Connie4724

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
3 pages of my site come up with an error message sorry page has been moved! I have uploaded, published etc still get error on 3 out 12 pages. I cleared my browser cache etc.

page not found.
Photo of Mitch6534

Mitch6534

• 184 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I created a 'new page' I titled it, I added a lot of stuff to the page, I changed the 'title' and now the link takes the person to some not available page..

my edit page, has my hard work still sitting there in a page somewhere.. but I cannot get it linked on the navigation bar.. any suggestions? ..

it was a lot of work... I just need it linked to the navigation bar... or i could just start a new page.. and re do all of that crud! yikes lol HELP..

Mitch bensel..

Work unable to get link to on navigation bar!!.
Photo of tony

tony

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi,
I had a problem with my website not loading up and was told the reason being my Home page had not been saved as the index page. This was corrected yesterday and everything was working fine but now when browsing through the other pages and then return to HOME, the contents do not appear again and just get:
This domain is hosted and managed by Intuit.
You can get your own personalized web address at Intuit.com,
Other times I get lines of html?????
Any idea what is causing this?
Many thanks
Tony

Comment

good answer!

Website page loading.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

• 39,954 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Tony,

The above instructions will help resolve the issue - I've also responded to your other comments as well.

Let me know if you run into any other issues, thanks.

Ehsan
Photo of jmstegmeier2021

jmstegmeier2021

• 62 Points
I just published my website and one page is not showing up.
when I click on the tab for that specific page, I get a message stating that "Page not found","We apologize for the inconvenience. The page you have requested does not exist or has been removed. Please check to make sure that the URL you entered is accurate". I went back in and republished that specific page again without results. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

One Page On My Website Won't Publish.
Photo of Trenda2709

Trenda2709

when I leave about page.. or contact page and want to move around.. the link isn't there.. tried on my on... but failed.. thanks

I can't get pages to link... help.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Trenda, I took a look at your site and as of now, you have some broken links which is why it's displaying the "page not found" error. Follow the steps above to fix the broken links.

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike
Photo of Trenda2709

Trenda2709

My links don't work.. Thanks for the help...
Photo of Earl8719

Earl8719

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hey Mike F. i fixed the site error 404 issue. THANKS!!!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Great! Glad it's working!
Photo of Charles1904

Charles1904

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Blog not showing up on site.

I have just added a blog to my site, it said it was published , i saw it on the preview but when i went to the website later it said the page could not be found. please help me.
www.csboag.com
Photo of Randy4967

Randy4967

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Creating a new web page.

I have created a new web page and I cannot get it to publish.
When I view the website the page has information that I did not write.
Please let me know what can be done here.

Randy
Photo of Charles1904

Charles1904

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
unlin ked page.

When i went to link my blog with the page it had xpf following it instead of html please help
Photo of crejinfo5189

crejinfo5189

Photo of Marjory7627

Marjory7627

"Page not found" message.

I recently updated my site and added a new page to it. When I publish it, the page shows up in the preview, however when I log onto my site and go to that page I get the error message. I've tried the F5 thing and it hasn't helped.

Any other suggestions?
Photo of Steven2964

Steven2964

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
My patience, sanity, day and website were saved!.

I'm not that great with names, so my apologies in advance. Still, I want to thank the gentleman, Esfahan, who gave me some very commonsensical advice and seemed to joggle some workablility to the editing function of my website. Sorry I didn't get back sooner and as a result couldn't find the original post with his reply. Pass along my praises. Back in business, website pretty cleared up, save for a way to figure out how to kill of a fourth page I can't afford now and really don't need; not to mention killing off " error #404" that keeps popping up and won't go away. I'm very confident it'll be solved.
Photo of Timothy5680

Timothy5680

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

See step #3. The page name you are linking to does not exist.

Mike
Photo of Loren9473

Loren9473

Navigation Menu Problem.

When I publish my site the navigation menu works ok except when I try click back to the home page. It says page not found. How do I correct this. on my web site. I have tried rebuilding my Navigation Menu .
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Follow the steps here. Your "Home" link is pointing to a page called "home" which does not exist and is the cause of the error. You need to direct your "Home" link to "index.html" (see step 3), instead of "home.html".

The index page is the home page of every site.

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike
error 404/ linking issue.

I have a site 404 error in a link. I recreated the link under the appropriate page name, but need to just delete the page with the error. How do i do that? Second, the site was just published and none of the addtional pages are linking. How do I fix that. The site is beamninflatables.com
Can someone help me please?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You'll want to start by creating a navigation menu. Right now your site just has some standard text boxes, but the text isn't linked to anything. Visit this thread. https://community.homestead.com/homes... If you still have problems let us know.
I have tried a hundred times to get the pages published that I've saved, and instead, they just publish the default pages or they give error messages on the pages. There is no link button to fix on my website. Only option it gives is to change the color, but not the address or linking. This is crazy-making
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I see you just closed your account. If you would still like to get a site online we'll be happy to help you. Feel free to give us a call if you would like to reopen the account.
Photo of Norma2375

Norma2375

I changed a name of one of my links. I published. Now when I go to the website and click on it, it says the page cannot be found. Help!.

I don't know what other info you would need.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

This thread will show you how to troubleshoot and fix broken links.  You may not always get the site error 404 message but the steps are still the same.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.