How to stop photos from being copied.

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

Any way to stop "right click copy" my photos?
Photo of Gordon9014

Gordon9014

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 64,136 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You can watermark images: https://www.umarkonline.com/
Photo of Gordon9014

Gordon9014

Any way to do the whole page. Too many pictures to do each one.
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 64,126 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You need to watermark each image prior to uploading and posting.
Photo of Gordon9014

Gordon9014

Too late for that. Way over 1000 pictures.
Thanks
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You can find code to disable right click at www.dynamicdrive.com however that really isn't a deterrent as there are multiple ways to copy an image. Watermarking can be somewhat successful, but anyone who is good with image editing software can remove it.
The old saying is, "if you don't want it copied, don't put it on the internet". Sad, but true.
Photo of steve4468

steve4468

• 1,704 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
You could simply use a border (designs and link elements in desktop SiteBuilder) to cover the photos or pages you want to protect. Change the fill color to "none" and make sure the border is at the top of the layering. Then size the border to cover what you want. You'll need to address the border color and size if necessary as I haven't seen your site. Understand that this method will not allow any search engine to index the content under the border. If you do it correctly when someone tries to download a photo all they'll get is a blank page.

You may want to keep a solid border fill color until you've sized and placed it then change the fill color to none.
Photo of Laura4138

Laura4138

• 310 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This is a super method that I use also. I cover my images, but not the titles. (I keep those as links outside the border....or on TOP of the border. (bring them forward) That way you have links on your page for search engines also. If you want to see it in action you can go to my site http://www.lauraregan.com . I have left the border as a "frame" on my home page. Try to copy and paste the image.....or save it to a file. It won't cooperate! Here is an example of another border over an image that I made "invisible" simply by bringing the thickness to 0. http://www.lauraregan.com/GreetingCards-RoughRider.html   You can't see the border, but it is just around the outer edge of the white card. It's MUCH better than water marks as those are not foolproof. Unfortunately anything that you need to do to protect your images takes time.....but it's worth it. I've had way too many of my images stolen in the past. Good luck!
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

That method will discourage the novice, but not the many who have figured out how to bypass it. Lovely art work!

(Edited)
Photo of Laura4138

Laura4138

Thank you for the compliment, Susan.....but mostly for the warning! This is so frustrating! Looks like I have some work ahead of me.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

It is frustrating Laura as there is no foolproof way of protecting images or content. Some folks think that if it's on the net it's fair game, others know it isn't and take it anyway.

If you put that code on one page let's see if I can grab an image.
Photo of Laura4138

Laura4138

OK...I put it on my index page.http://www.lauraregan.com  It seems to disable the right click ability. Can you try it? THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help! Technology gets me every time....I just paint the pictures! :-)
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 64,126 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No it doesn't. Try it yourself.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

I'd rather be able to paint!  lol

Sorry, but I can pretty much grab any content as can others who have know-how. The code and the border will definitely dissuade users who aren't particularly savvy, but won't stop those who are and it's a dirty shame.

Photo of Laura4138

Laura4138

You are clever....even if you can't paint! lol!! Well, I think I'll still put this code AND the borders on the pictures, then one at a time, I will load LOW res images. Thank you again for your good advice! 
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Good idea to use them because it will prevent some folks from grabbing them.

You have a brush attached to your hand and I have a computer, but in my next life I'm trading for a brush. 

Best of Luck out there!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,796 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Gordon9014

Gordon9014

Thanks, Drew. I think this did the trick.........
 ( Place this code in the head section, under Page Settings > Advanced

<body oncontextmenu="return false;"> )<br id="null"><br id="null"><br>
Photo of Laura4138

Laura4138

Drew, do you put this on every page with images?
Mine is the butterfly image above....and I never thought far enough in advance to how it can still be ripped off. Looks like I've got some "updating" to do!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,796 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yes. You would need to put the code on each page. Just keep in mind that if they want it, they will get, you can only make it more difficult. For this reason, a watermark is a good idea, and also resizing to a lower quality. This helps page speed and makes it less desirable to take.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.