how to I replace my index page witj new site name

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving

Elizabeth answered a similar question to Michelle two weeks ago and I have completed transfer of old domain to new domain but I am left with Home page of old site. How do I make my new site have the Home / Index page?  At moment new web  pages go to old Home page instead of new Home page.. 
Photo of Audrey1969

Audrey1969

• 1,922 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • Stressed

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 66,214 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
RENAMING PAGES: https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how_do_i_rename_my_website_pages
TO CREATE A HOME PAGE:
You are using SB+? If so, go to your new home page > Use Page Settings > name it: Index.html.
Delete the Index.html from your old home page.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 44,918 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I'm so sorry, I'm not understanding your question. You deleted the old domains, so only the one you want is left. Didn't you want this domain to take over the site you used to have with bedfordu3a? What are you trying to accomplish now?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

At this point, the site is not working because you've deleted your Index page. You have one named Indexnew but that will not work. It needs to just be named Index to work.
Photo of Audrey1969

Audrey1969

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Have transferred content from old site to new site, changed home page. I to new h....

Have transferred content from old site to new site, changed home page. I thought, to new home page but web pages still show old site name Also NOT secure
Was Bedford U3A .org now gobackagain.net. I followed Michelle's advice ant overwrote new web page with index page, deleted old home page but still all web pages with ref to old site
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

The reason your site isn't working is due to the fact that you don't have an index page. Use the instructions that were posted about to rename a page, and create an Index page.
Photo of Audrey1969

Audrey1969

I have done this but my pages still headed with my old site
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

What site are you wanting the domain to point to?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

That's the domain. What site do you want that to point to, if the site it is currently pointed to is not correct?
Photo of Audrey1969

Audrey1969

to all the pages I have kept from my bedfordu3a domain. I had hoped when I cancelled home page bedfordu3a  that all my bedfordu3a pages would show the new domain address eg ww.gobackagain.net/travel2.html
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

http://www.gobackagain.net/ is your website. You need to link your pages to your menu. 
ADDING A PAGE TO YOUR MENU:
You need to add new pages to your menu? If you don't, they will not be accessible. "Highlight" the site navigation menu by hovering your cursor over the menu and left click one time > The site navigation menu settings are on the right side of your monitor > Select Links > Select "+" > Browse your files and select the page you want to add > select the file and press OK in the command box > Scroll down to the bottom of the settings menu to insert "Page Name" > the new page element will be highlighted on the list > Move the new title to the desired position. 
Experiment with the Site Navigation Menu Settings tool. You can adjust font sizes and spacing.
ADDING A NEW HOME PAGE:
To install the new page as your home page, select the page > Page Settings > Page Name > enter "index.html" > save. Remove the page name from your previous page.
Next, you can add the new home page to your site navigation menu by selecting the menu > Use the Site Navigation Menu Settings > Links > + to add the page > follow the instructions in the command box to locate your new home page > select the page from your files > OK. Now, you can scroll to the bottom and edit the page title. Since you have only one page, it should now be the only page on the menu and it should appear with the page title you've chosen and it will respond as the home page.
Photo of Audrey1969

Audrey1969

Thanks Themieleman. Completely lost, but hope to get someone to help me this week. No idea it would be so complicated.. You have taken so much trouble to explain too.
In the beginning, I did register my 'newbsite' page with 'index' and it was successful. I thought all the other pages would get renamed with new site name but it seems from what you say that this has to be done page by page. Will struggle on!
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

Hello Audrey1969: You can do it. I started out the same way. I new nothing about website building. I suggest you practice using the editing tools. Experiment with everything. This is the pathway to success. Nothing you do to your website is embedded in stone. Anything can be changed, altered or deleted. Education is a process and the victory is in the struggle.
(Edited)
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

All of your domains were already pulling up the same site, before you deleted BedfordU3A.org. Deleting that domain would not have changed that. The domain gobackagain.net is still pointing to that site. It is pulling up fine on my end. If that isn't the page that you want to show as the index page, then you'll have to change that, but it is pulling up the site. I'm not understanding what you are saying isn't working.
Photo of Audrey1969

Audrey1969

Thanks Michelle and Elizabeth.You are both so encouraging. I feel like a wimp. I will set aside a few hours to try again. I want all my old Bedfordu3a pages to stop pointing to  www.bedfordu3a.org/travel2.html to www.gobackagain.net/travrl2.html in fact \all the pages still existing from old site
Photo of Audrey1969

Audrey1969

PS Just tried to get on site but an oops message 404 comes up when I tried several pages I have kept
Photo of Audrey1969

Audrey1969

I think I have two home pages. I made a link from Holidays index and it went back to bedfordu3a . I have done links loads of times but I cannot get the link from home page to holiday index and I  think this must be reason . But where the other home page is, I cannot solve. 
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Going to gobackagain.net/travrl2.html shows me exactly the same thing that is in the builder, which is a website under construction page. In the tab, it says https://u3asites.org.uk/bedford because that is what the Page Title is in the Page Settings. You can change this by going to that page in the builder, clicking on Page Settings and changing the info under Page Name/Description. I recommend you check all pages for this.

The bedford domain no longer works because it was deleted. You only have one Index page, but you have another page with the word index in the Page name.

You definitely have some links on your page that are not set up, so I do recommend going through those.
Photo of Audrey1969

Audrey1969

Dear Elizabeth
This morning starting with Home page I redid the links in Page Settings and same on the holiday section (Weston)  I was starting with. To my joy, both said gobackagain.net. This afternoon, Iwent in again to add some photos to the Weston page and it had reverted to bedfordu3a.homestead agian..The Bedfordu3a site refers to the new Bedfordu3a site which is nothing to do with me. What happened to make it revert again? For a few months after setting up new site, I had been redirectinbg everyone to new site. As far as I know, I have deleted those pages now/
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Hello,

I recommend you call to discuss this with a web advisor. I am not understanding where you are encountering this issue, as all pages I go to say "gobackagain.net"
1-800-710-1998
Photo of Audrey1969

Audrey1969

I have found a strange thing. If you go in with site name on Internet , all links work correctly in gobackagain.net but while I am in sitebuilder, all the pages are headed by bedfordu3a.homestead. I think I will just have to put up with that but it is still very odd.
If anyone else has an idea why this is so, always glad to hear it.Thank you Elizabeth for your patience. I cannot ring up, I am in UK
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Are you referring to what shows up in the address bar when you preview? That will always say the site name, which is the .homestead.com name. If it is working when you actually pull the site up on the internet, then that is all that matters.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.