How to add downloadable hi-res photos in Website Builder?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: archiving for 7 days of inactivity

I want to have downloaded hi-res photos on my website.
Can I do this?
When I add the hi-res photos to a photo gallery, when you copy them they automatically reduce in size.
I want them to stay in their original size.
These are free downloads.
Photo of David8429

David8429

• 524 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of steve4468

steve4468

• 3,048 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
The problem is screen size. Hi-res pictures can be well over 5 megs or more in size and 3000 pixels or more in width. If the browser size maxes out at 1300 pixels wide your visitor will not be able to view the entire picture. However if this doesn't concern you you could always create a separate page for each photo. You would need the exact size of the photo as it is on your desktop. You can find this by right-clicking on the picture file on your computer and getting the size properties. Place the photo on the page and re-size it to the original size. I don't know how the re-sized picture quality would be as the building software might not allow it. 

The page with the full sized picture could be linked to the smaller version to allow a visitor to download. You also could do this by uploading the photo as a stand alone file. However I don't know if Homestead is set up to allow a visitor to download a file from the website.
(Edited)
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

• 13,758 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

The builder will upload images exactly how they are saved in your computer so if it is a hi-res image it will be uploaded as hi-res. If you are uploading images into a photo gallery the images will resize to a thumbnail when initially displayed on the site but once you click on the thumbnail in the gallery to enlarge it, it will show as the original image. As mentioned above if the original image size exceeds the browsers max pixels you may see something different than expected. If you can provide the site and page this photo is on I can look into it deeper. 
Photo of David8429

David8429

• 524 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Thank you for your reply.

The site is currently on the Wix platform (www.peterwhitesspeedwayworld.com/free-downloads) I am wanting to move it to my Homestead account.

On the existing Wix site visitors can download the photos by simply clicking on a 'download icon'.
The image stays in the correct size.

In the site that I am constructing with Website Builder, the image is uploaded as 2455px x 1637px
but when you 'save it', it reduces to 1920px x 1280px.

Uploading and viewing the photos is not the problem, it is downloading it from the website that is the problem.

Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

• 13,758 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I do see the difference there. If you add the images to an image gallery and your customer opens the image and right clicks and does a save as it seems to keep it the same size. Unfortunately I could not get it to reflect exactly the same by just downloading it. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.