How do I set an expiry date or a maximum age in the HTTP headers for static resources?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive.  If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it.  You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

When Google analyzes my sites it is telling me to an expiry date or a maximum age in the HTTP headers for static resources. Can you tell me how and where I can do this?
Photo of Leisa

Leisa

• 396 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Leisa,

What analysis are you running the provides this message? 

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Leisa

Leisa

Google analytics
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Ok.  We are looking into it.
Photo of Leisa

Leisa

Thank you!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You're welcome
Photo of Leisa

Leisa

How's it going on this topic?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,718 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Leisa,  I just finished looking into this as Drew is off today.  They did reply back to him but unfortunately, the way our system is set up, there's really nothing that can be done at this time. Because of the way our Sitebuilder and hosting system works, there are certain things that are blocked and there is not access for what you need. This was forwarded to our developers for consideration of making changes in the future but we don't have any eta and can't promise any changes.  

Mike 
Photo of Leisa

Leisa

ok. On another topic. Why is sitebuilder so slow to save and update?...it's maddening at times.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Leisa,   There are several variables that could cause slowness in the SiteBuilder, so here are a few things to check. 

Browser addons/pluggins:  If you have too many addons running in your browser try disabling and/or completely removing any pluggins that you don't need.  You can also try a different browser.  Generally Firefox or Chrome work the best.
How can I remove 3rd party browser plug-ins, add-ons, and extensions from my web browser?

Your internet speed/quality: Speed and quality are two different things that can affect performance of the SiteBuilder.  Sitebuilder depends on both upload and download performance, whereas most other websites are primarily depending on download speed.  You can test your upload & download speed and quality on several sites such as, http://freeola.com/line-test/  or http://www.pingtest.net/

Upload speed can have a big impact especially if your site has a lot of images or other media files that it is uploading and saving.  If you have any images that are in excess of  1Mb they are probably too big.  

If your run internet test and it shows any packet loss, then there's a definite quality issue where information is being lost and can cause a variety of problems. 
If your test shows any packet loss or SiteBuiilder seems excessively slow you may want to run a Trace Route report to identify any possible problems somewhere in the network. 
How do I run a Trace Route (tracert) ?   If you see any lines in the trace report that say "timeout" then it's likely an internet/network issue. 

Security software: Uncommon but possible.  Try temporarily disabling your security software/virus scan/firewall program. 

(Edited)
Photo of Leisa

Leisa

Not a lot of plug-ins just some adware and pop-up blockers. I tried to run the ping test on both sites but the configuration of the laptop I was using didn't allow it. It's a business computer confiugred to run on a network, so it was probably in the admin security settings. I switched to my personal computer. The results for the test was
Packet loss 0%
Ping 39 ms
Jitter 8 ms
Grade=A

The results of the speed test varied depending on the time of day.
Midday at about 2 pm my download was between 11-41 to 16.63 mbps and upload was 1.28-1.35
at 4:30 it my download was 3.6 mbps and my upload was 1.39

I'm going to try it on my personal computer for awhile. Thanks!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You're welcome. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.