How do I make a custom 404 error page for my website?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: 7 days of inactivity

I am trying to add a custom 404 error page to my website and have no idea where to begin...can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks
Photo of Painted2983

Painted2983

• 298 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 69,672 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
404 ERROR MESSAGE
https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/fixing-the-website-builder-404-error
404 ERROR:

404 page does not count toward your page allotment.
Per Google: https://www.google.com/search?num=30&site=webhp&source=hp&q=404+error&oq=404&gs_....
"The HTTP 404 Not Found Error means that the webpage you were trying to reach could not be found on the server. It is a Client-side Error which means that either the page has been removed or moved and the URL was not changed accordingly, or that you typed in the URL incorrectly."
Generally there's no need to make any adjustment. Removing the 404 page may disable your customer to be directed to your site. 404's may be produced by page name changes.
Photo of Painted2983

Painted2983

I am working on my website with SiteBuilder Plus.  I know there is a way to make a custom 404 page that will direct traffic back to my website, in the even someone clicks a link to my page that may be broken, rather than just tell them the page can't be found. I'm sure it is some secret to do that, but I don't know what it is.
Photo of Painted2983

Painted2983

I would like to clarify.  I am not getting an error 404 that I am trying to get rid of.  I am wanting to create the error page for people on my site, or trying to get to my site, that may get that error... I want to create a custom 404 page so that I may direct them back to my page instead of send them aimlessly to find their way back...lol

I did find my answer though...thank you.
Photo of Painted2983

Painted2983

I did it in SiteBuilderPlus just by naming a new page SITE ERROR 404
No... that other jargen was way too complicated for me...lol
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

That's what I figured. Hope your solution will work!
Photo of Painted2983

Painted2983

I tried it out by miss typing the link and it worked!  http://PaintedRockRanchTX.com/Tanning.html    
Photo of Painted2983

Painted2983

Problem solved:
I would like to clarify.  I am not getting an error 404 that I am trying to get rid of.  I am wanting to create the custom error page for people on my site, or trying to get to my site, that may get that error... I want to create a custom 404 page so that I may direct them with links back to my page, instead of send them aimlessly to find their way back on their own...lol

I did find my answer though.
I remembered that I had created a site error 404 page for one of my websites before. So I opened sitebuilder and found that page.  The Secret to creating that page is to SIMPLY:  Start a new page and name it SITE ERROR 404.  Then you can make it say whatever you want to.  I simply put a link back to the home page, then another link or two to other major pages on my site.

Thank you all for your help

Photo of Painted2983

Painted2983

Sample of my custom Site Error 404 page
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

Good work Painted2983!
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

• 28,812 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Great work. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.