How do I download SiteBuilder?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: 7 days of inactivity

I follow the instructions which say, "Install: Follow the step-by-step instructions within the Install Wizard. You may be prompted to download the Microsoft .Net Framework, which is software necessary to run this version of SiteBuilder." No Install Wizard appears. 
Photo of Stephen6130

Stephen6130

• 70 Points

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

• 14,408 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

I would strongly advised against using the downloaded version, you can upload all your current files to the online software by selecting upload from the file manager in the desktop builder. This builders accessibility may be permanently removed in the near future so please consider moving over soon. However, you can attempt to install it by logging into your account at homestead.com and go to websites manager then download Sitebuilder. You may need to run the fix in these articles to get it to function properly. 
https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/windows-10-and-sitebuilder-desktop-axe9sy82c33rk 
https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/sitebuilder-desktop-fix-oqmscj7tjibxu
(Edited)
Photo of R.

R.

• 2,546 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hello Michelle,

You wrote:

"This builders accessibility may be permanently removed in the near future so please consider moving over soon."

Could you please elaborate on this issue if possible? Has a date been set?

I've been using the old desktop version since 2002 and absolutely love it. I know that technology changes and Homestead has to keep pace, but I'm sad to see the desktop version of Sitebuilder go.  It has worked like a charm for me all these years. I won't be able to rebuild my site on your new website builder as I'm too old and so is my computer. I wish that Homestead would allow us old-timers to continue using the desktop version, even if it's not advertised, but I understand if not.

That being said, I want to thank Homestead and all you great representatives over the years who have worked so hard to keep us all happy. You provide a wonderful service and I have no complaints whatsoever, just praise and gratitude. Thanks a million Homestead -- no, a billion. :o)

Signed,

A Very Satisfied Customer

(Edited)
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

Thank you so much for the kind words, we definitely value your feedback. In regards to a specific date, that has not yet been provided to us. I know it is a topic of conversation and we will inform all of our customer with any updates or set dates on this action. 
Photo of R.

R.

Thanks, Michelle. Please feel free to pass along my comments. It's been a real joy working with Homestead. I'm so glad that I found you. :)
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

I sure will thanks again!
Photo of Richard8447

Richard8447

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have been a Homestead Sitebuilder customer since about 2002. When I first began using Sitebuilder, the Customer Service support was EXCELLENT !! However, as the years came and went, Homestead's quality of Customer Service began to deteriorate.

Many, MANY years ago, Homestead's Customer Support had eroded to the point where I quit calling Homesteads Customer Support because of unacceptably long 'hold' times', rudeness and limited knowledge of the product by Customer Service representatives as well as conflicting information being given out by Customer Service Representative with varying degrees of knowledge about Homestead's Sitebuilder program.

My 'problem' is NOT with Homestead's Sitebuilder; it is with Homestead's supposed Customer Support. As stated previously, I have been using Homestead's Sitebuilder program since about 2002 and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that program !! It's capabilities coupled with my 16 or 18 years of working with the program has resulted in a Webpage (which I invite EVERYONE to visit) that has received literally hundreds of positive responses.

My Website, 'built' ENTIRELY using Sitebuilder (develope dby Homestead in the late 1990's-early 2000's) is www.thedeltashow.com

The entire Website, including all of the accompanying Webpages, was designed, by me (a 'lay' person) pending literally THOUSANDS & THOUSANDS of hour over the last many years making my Website the very popular and informative Website that it has become today. 

Resumed 09-17-19 11:30AM

Sorry, I got interrupted while writing this post.

A few days ago, I saw a post from a Homestead Customer who was obviously very upset because of the overall 'tone' because of his vulgar-laced tirade. However, in his defense, while his vulgarities were inappropriate, his negative sentiments were well founded; based on my 'experience' with Homestead.

It is, indeed, when you need assistance, there is no one knowledgeable or caring enough who you can call at the company and speak to that appears to have any interest ij your issue at al.. But it wasn't always that way.

I think my last telephone contact with anyone at Homestead was about three or four years ago when I was told that their Sitebuilder program (the one that I began with and am still using today) was no longer going to be available and wouldn't be 'updated' because of the new SitebuilderPlus program that was available.

I asked if it was possible to 'convert' my existing files, images, audio files, sound clips  and Webpages to the 'new and (supposedly) improved' SiteBuilderPlus program; I was told it was NOT possible, ALL of my Webpages would have be to 'reconstructed from scratch' and ALL of the Webpages, images, audio files, etc., would HAVE TO BE 'RE-CREATED' and UPLOADED AGAIN !!

Now, try to understand what a MAJOR UNDERTAKING that would be: I currently have a total of 360 actual Webpages (all made with Homestead Sitebuilder and OVER 3,000 files consisting of images, pictures, graphics, sound clips, eyc., that Homestead expects me to re-create and upload to their 'new and 'unimproved' Sitebuilder Plus program.

Ain't gonna happen.

When I stumbled upon the 'Homestead Customer Community' quite a while ago, I suddenly realized that there were as many irritated and frustrated Homestead Customers who were 'disenchanted' with Homestead, and their very poor customer service as I was. But fortunately, I had been using the Sitebuilder program long enough that I virtually KNEW MORE about Homestead's Sitedbuider program than those I talked with whenever I called.

ASs everything stands today, I am totally happy and 'comfortable' with the original Homestead Sitebuilder program that I was first introduced to in the late '90s or early 2000's ! If you've visited my Website, www.thedeltashow.com, you've realized that there virtually isn't anything that can't be done when constructing a Webpage.

There only three or four (very insignificant) features I'd like to see Homestead change on their original Sitebuilder program: First, on my Webpages with multiple audio clips, Internet Edxplorer is the ONLY browser that doesn't cause ALL of the audio clips on a Webpage to play simultaneously when the Webpage is opened.

But I've addressed that problem by advising visitors to my Website and related
Webpages, to use the Internet Explorer browser when visiting my Webpage.

The second 'feature' that is desirable is the ability to add video clips to my Webpages, but that's not a 'big deal' either. Another 'feqature' would be to make the original Homestead Sitebuilder compatible with windows 8.1 and Windows 10. (It's NOT really compatible! Even though some Homestead people will tell you that it is.)

Trust me; I KNOW !!

In my view, Homestead's original Sitebuilder program was (and still is) an EXCELLENT 'product' !! Homestead shouldn't have tried to 'reinvent it's wheel' or tried to 'fix something that isn't broken'.

Instead, the 'high up muckity-mucks' at Homestead should realize that they had an excellent product with their original Sitebuilder program, but were somehow 'conned' into believing that the Sitebuilder Plus program was be far better.

They were wrong; it isn't.

Simply look at all of the negative comments about SitebuilerPlus that hundreds, thousands (maybe even more) Homestead Customers are expressing about their experiences.

And also, look at all of the Homestead customers that are turning to the 'Homestead Customer Community' in desperation when they can' reach, or get an 'answer' from Homestead !! In any cases, it's very evident that some of the 'people' responding to other customers 'concerns' know no more than those inquiring; which exasperates the problem even more !!

Well over 50% of the 'spam messages' that I receive are from comments left on the Homestead Customer Community Webpage; that tells me a lot about the frustration level of Homestead's customers.

While I'll probably never live long enough to see it happen, the people that hold the purse string' for Homestead need to re-focus on their totally and deploreable  'Customer Service, totally forget about Sitebuilder Plus and 'put all of their energies' into resurrecting their original Homestead Sitebuilder program to the great program that it really is.

Meanwhile, if anyone using the original Sitebuilder progarm has any questions How to add something, how to modify something and/or anything else you'd like answered honestly & without a lot of B.S., please e-mail me at thedeltashow@gmail.com.

And PLEASE REMEMBER, I am NOT AFFILATED WITH HOMESTEAD; I'm just a guy, probably like you, that enjoys building, modifying and working on Websites. But, like a carpenter 'needs the correct tools', so do those of us that work on designing Websites. 

Unlike Homestead's Customer Service department, I'd like to help you with designing your Website, to make it informative, attractive and popular.

Like www.thedeltashow.com is.

Thank you !

Richard Odoms
Hamburg, Minnesota 55339
(Edited)
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

Hello Richard,

First and foremost I want to apologize for any poor customer experiences you have encountered since becoming a Homestead customer. It is never the intention of our support team to leave such a negative outlook about our willingness to help. We do strive to provide the best support that we can. Our agents are trained and knowledgeable on the products and services we offer, but unfortunately there is not much support provided for the Sitebuilder Desktop program.

This program, as you mentioned, was created in the 1990's. So much has changed since then, especially when it comes to websites. Unfortunately, at this point, the program is very outdated and no longer compatible with updated browsers and operating systems today. We have not set any plans to discontinue Sitebuilder Desktop because we do understand that this program is what many of our Homestead customers know and are familiar with. However, when it comes to creating websites that fit today's standards, it doesn't do what we need it to. The site cannot be made responsive or mobile friendly without extensive HTML knowledge and cannot be made secure, even through a 3rd party system. These are incredibly important features to search engines like Google. It isn't just that we were unwilling to update this program. The software from Microsoft that Sitebuilder Desktop was built with has been discontinued and is no longer supported by Microsoft itself. We are actually unable to update it at this point. Unfortunately, there is nothing that we can do about this. We have provided workarounds whenever possible that have fixes to run on your computer to get the program to work on windows 10:
https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/sitebuilder-desktop-fix-oqmscj7tjibxu 
https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/windows-10-and-sitebuilder-desktop-axe9sy82c33rk

Our best suggestion is to switch to using Sitebuilder Plus. This is actually just the online version of Sitebuilder Desktop. You do not have to rebuild your site in this builder. You can simply select all files in the file manager within the Desktop program and select "Upload". This will bring all current files into the online program. The builder you are referring to, our newest builder Website Builder, is a completely separate builder, which is why it needs to be completely rebuilt. So, we absolutely offer an option that doesn't include you having to completely rebuild your site. 

I am glad you have had such success with Sitebuilder and if you want to continue to use it, you are more than welcome to for as long as we can offer it. We have made necessary changes and adjustment to stay competitive with modern builders and hosting companies. If we neglected to implement improvements and remain competitive, we wouldn't have been able to remain in business for as long as we have. Again, I am sorry for any poor experience and we will definitely work to make sure our support agents are properly coached in customer service expectations.
Photo of R.

R.

Dear Michelle,

I forgot to mention my gratitude to all the phone operators over the years who bent over backwards to try and answer my questions and help solve my problems whenever I called in. They were all super helpful and polite.

And kudos to the technicians laboring in the background who have kept things running so smoothly, and who also worked overtime when technical problems inevitably arose from time to time. They exhibited much grace under pressure.

Other may not agree, but my experience with Homestead has been one of the highlights of my life. Thanks again!

Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

Thank you so much, that is greatly appreciated! 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.