How do I disassociate an existing domain in order to point it to a new website?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: 7 days of inactivity

Hi,
I'm trying to point my domain to a revised website but I get the following error: "Domain can not be associated to the selected site.
The selected site already has a domain associated to it. WebsiteBuilder supports only 1 domain association for a site at a time. Please disassociate the existing domain and try again."
Couldn't figure out how to do that and didn't find anything in the help database that worked. I'd appreciate any guidance.
Thanks
Photo of Valerie3542

Valerie3542

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

• 6,768 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

To disconnect an existing domain you will want to change the site association for that domain. Then do the same for the domain you are trying to attach, connecting it to the desired site.
What domain are you attaching?
Photo of Valerie3542

Valerie3542

Thanks for replying. I'm trying to point my domain www.stonelakespta.com to my website www.stonelakespta.homesteadcloud.com. When I use the change site association option I get the error message saying the site already has a domain associated to it and I need to disassociate the existing domain first.
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

• 6,768 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thank you. That domain was the one already attached to it. Weird I know but the issue was that the domain didn't fully override the site url. I went ahead and got it connect for you though using these instructions. https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/fixing-the-website-builder-404-error 
You'll be good going forward.
Photo of Valerie3542

Valerie3542

Thanks so much for your help!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.