How come some pictures are displayed upside down on Apple mobile phones and are ok on Android and Windows

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving inactive content.

Some pictures on my websites appeared up side down on Apple mobile phones but they are correct on Windows or Android mobile phone
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

• 1,386 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 20,324 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello Andre,

This means that these images were taken in portrait mode and Apple phones cannot display them properly. These images would need to be rotated outside of the builder in a photo editor, re-uploaded to the builder, and placed on your website.
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

Thanks.  I will try that solution.
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

I checked the pictures and they seemed ok.  Nevertheless I edited them, rotated them, redemensionned them and they still show up side down.  Can you check the page http://www.curlingvg.ca/Sturling.html  with an Apple phone for me.  Only some of the photos on the page have this problem.  I do not have an apple phone, so I cannot check it myself.  Thanks
(Edited)
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Hello Andre.

The pictures that I see are still not upright are the 4 images on the bottom of the page. I can see that you rotated them, but they are now completely upside down. It seems they were rotated the wrong direction. My recommendation would be to re-edit those images and rotate them 180°, then reupload them. They should display properly after that. I understand this is difficult if you do not have an iphone to test it on. 
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

I tried to rotate them the best that I could.  My friend that has an Apple iphone says pictures are still upsidedown. Wow!!! If I rotate them again but this time at 180° as you are suggesting then they will be ok on Apple but up side down on Windows and Android.  What is the point?????... I am feeling very frustrated!  This is another annoying drawback of  Sitebuilder that noone is able to solve at Homestead.  I am not going to spend another minute on this because off all the many ackward elements that I asked to fix in the past not a single one was solved.
I will just add it up to this long list of unsolved items by Homestead.    I will replace the pictures by this message:  Homestead is not able to display this picture! Sorry!
You can close this ticket.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

No, if you edit the images again, they will not be upside down in other devices. If you look at those images in your file manager, they are upside down.

When I go to add a new image and add one of those 4, it displays upside down. If you rotate them to show the correct way in the builder, Android phones and computers can read that change. Apple phones cannot. This is not a builder limitation, or it would happen with all devices. It is an incompatibility on Apple devices alone. Download the images, edit them to be upright. Re-upload them and place them on your site and you will have no further issues.
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

I have just spent the last hour working on img_1482.jpg.  Using Photos I rotated it in many different ways, saving it and resaving it many different ways and reimported it every time.  The results are always the same.  It shows upside down whatever I do.  However, one final test, I rotated it sideways and it worked.  I tried the same process on the other ones, no success.  Please give me a solution that works.  Thanks
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

You could try duplicating the image or taking a screenshot of the image, to get rid of any formatting that has the image show sideways or upside down normally.
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

This a total waste of time.  Duplicating or screen shot... I tried many different ways using other photo software, nothing works.  Even worst, if I upload the file under a different name it is ok.  But when I rename the file to its previous name, it returns upside down.  Amazing!  Here is one of the file that keeps popping up upside down­.  Can you fix it?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

It is not giving me the same trouble as you describe. The original file name for this image was IMG_1488. I re-uploaded this image and renamed it, and it didn't turn upside down. There is nothing for me to fix. I would recommend taking some time to preform some maintenance on your file manager, and get rid of any duplicates. It is possible that is what is causing the trouble for you.
If for some reason it is still giving you trouble when you rename it, simply don't rename the image.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.