HOMESTEAD STATS

• Question
  • Updated 5 days ago
  • Answered
For four days this week the Homestead Stats for my website have show ZERO.  Either my website is tanking or there is a problem with the Homestead Stats. Anyone else having this problem?  Thanks in advance for your answers.
Photo of John8467

John8467

• 630 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • Confused

Posted 7 days ago

Photo of Doniqua3225

Doniqua3225

• 606 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I am having this problem to. I think everyone is. Sadly homesteads answer is to jump through a few hooops and fix it yourself. But only if your homesteead plus? I get lost and am unable to figure it out on my own. I am hoping they fix it soon. I mean we are PAYING for this service and I feel like customers are not getting all we pay for. :( 

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 40,032 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

If you are still using the old desktop program, I do recommend you no longer use this. That program hasn't been supported for several years. It is using software that Microsoft no longer supports and it is very outdated. You can use the online version of this builder, Sitebuilder Plus, and then you would be able to secure your site. Securing your site is something that should be done in general for your site, not just to get stats working.
If you are having trouble with the instructions, you can certainly call and have one of our web advisors walk you through the process. If for some reason you still choose to use the older builder and don't secure your site, we are working on getting the stats issue resolved, but I don't have an expected resolution date for this. If you need to view your stats more immediately, you can use the free program Google Analytics.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 40,296 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello John,

We were experiencing an issue, which we were able to resolve, where the "View Stats" button wasn't redirecting to the proper URL and https visits weren't tracking. With those updates, it seems that there is now an issue with the stats on non-secure sites. If you follow the process to secure your domains through Cloudflare, your stats would start functioning:

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/can-i-secure-my-homestead-website-with-https

We will continue to troubleshoot this on our end.

My other suggestion would be to use a free program like Google Analytics,which is a more advanced and more updated tracker than is available in Sitebuilder Plus.
Photo of John7810

John7810

• 332 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
and another question is why aren't sites on homestead secure? 

Also The sitebuilder has so many bugs these days.   You'll type in text and it will erase or it will delete entire paragraphs.
(Edited)
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 40,296 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The Sitebuilder program that you are using is old. That is the simplest answer I can give. We tried to incorporate the ability to provide an SSL to domains on this builder and it was not possible. We are offering a better tool for our customers that does allow us to provide this function.
Photo of John8467

John8467

• 630 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This is not acceptable.  You have to resolve this problem on your end. I will not go back to Cloudflare because of too many problems with them. I have been with Homestead for 15 years and I never expected something as simple as Stats would be such a big problem. Please fix it. I thank you in advance.
Photo of John7810

John7810

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I agree with you.  I am beginning to think this is homestead trying to back door us over to the Mobile site program.  Homestead expects us longstanding customers to just rebuild years of website work.   Which is not an easy task. Especially when I have more than one site through them.   So I have been pricing out other website hosting companies.   If we're being forced to rebuild then I am going to look at all the competition and most likely will move to a more highly rated company in the near future.   
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

John8467, as you'll see from my answer above, we will continue to troubleshoot this on our end. This is not something we are saying we will not fix, just that if you want a quicker resolution, you can secure your site. I understand that in your case, you will not because of issues you had with Cloudflare.

John7810, Homestead is not doing anything to "back door" anyone into switching programs. We will continue to suggest that you use WebsiteBuilder, because it is a better program, but ultimately the choice is yours.
Yes, we do expect that many people would choose to rebuild in WebsiteBuilder to get a better product. It is recommended (not just by Homestead, but in general in the world of web design) that you completely rebuild your site every 3 years to keep up with competition and keep your content fresh. Your newest site is a little more than 3 years old. Your oldest site was originally built in 2008 and last modified in 2016. So, yes, I highly recommend you look into this newer and more updated product we are offering to you at no additional cost. You can keep your old sites up and running while you rebuild the new ones. Then, when you are ready, the domains can be switched over.
(Edited)
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

There is no issue with the stats in WebsiteBuilder, you have save history, a mobile site editor,  DDOS protection, and we are able to offer a free SSL without you having to point your nameservers through Cloudflare. Overall, switching would be beneficial. It would just take some time. We have plenty of informational articles and a number of Youtube tutorial videos to help you through that process.
(Edited)
Photo of John7810

John7810

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'm sure switching would be beneficial for homestead.  

My oldest site goes back to at least  2004.  That's  when you had a older program and you then switch to the format I am currently using . All data and webpages transferred to the new and improved site builder,   So upgrading back then was easy.   
Now you are talking about an entire overhaul, including uploading old archived files.   Which will take months if not years to completely move. So I'm forced to look at everything available on the market.  

As far as changing a website every 3 years.   That's some made up number.   Sites like facebook have looked basically the same for years.  They may have changed up some functions. but that was more to collect data then it was to give a fresh look.   But, I'm sure you're the expert and I am a nobody who's only been creating sites for over a decade.   Don't worry about responding.   Since you are telling me to start over I'll weigh my options.      

p.s.  I've been a loyal customer with no issues for all these years and you are basically telling me "Tough Cookies,"    
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Although we definitely recommend you switch to WebsiteBuilder, you doing so doesn't impact Homestead negatively or positively. When we recommend people switch, we are sincerely looking out for the best interests of our customers. It will ONLY benefit you. We are giving people a free site JUST so they can rebuild their sites in this new builder, if they don't have sites available in their package. That doesn't benefit us financially and we could definitely charge people for it, but we honestly think it will be better for you to switch so we are trying to make it as easy as possible.

In regard to changing the website every 3 years, that is a pretty consistent number that you'll find if you research the subject, but instead of putting a timeframe on it, lets look at some bullet-points your site should hit:
  1. Is my website mobile friendly?
  2. Has my business stayed exactly the same since my last website launched?
  3. Does my website look modern?
  4. Does my website function well on all technologies (browsers, screen sizes, devices, etc.)?
  5. Is my website better than the competition?
  6. Am I seeing steady growth with my current website?
  7. Do my customers compliment my website?
  8. Does my website align with my current business goals?
  9. Am I proud to share my website with potential clients or employees?
  10. Do I like looking at my website?
For at least 3 of these questions, the answer has to be no because of the builder you are using. Your site cannot be mobile friendly because the builder is not compatible. Sitebuilder cannot create modern looking sites because it is not a modern builder and the program is not responsive. Lastly, sites built on Sitebuilder don't function well on all technologies. Just with those 3 points, you are losing a considerable amount of potential traffic due to the negative affects that has on your SEO. Google recently has started penalizing sites that are not secure and not mobile friendly. In no part of my message am I putting you down or insinuating that you are "nobody", but it is my job to provide you the information about this so you can make the best and most informed decision.

Also, in no part of my message am I saying "Tough cookies" or anything like that. I am saying we are looking into the stats issue. It is actually currently the highest priority because it was caused by a fix for a different issue. However, we do not have a date when this will be fixed, so if you need a more immediate resolution, you can use Google Analytics, which is a free program and quite good OR you can start rebuilding your site in WebsiteBuilder. If none of those options sound like the right choice for you, then unfortunately it will just take some time for us to resolve this issue.
(Edited)
Photo of R.

R.

• 2,296 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Thank you for explaining this issue so thoroughly, Elyzabeth. It makes sense that technology changes and companies have to keep up with those changes. It's encouraging that Homestead is doing so, and at the same time trying to help its customers gradually adapt and take advantage of the new technologies.

Some of us are resistant to change and some of us (like myself) are unable to change for various reasons. It's encouraging that Homestead hasn't abandoned us and that you're trying your best to accommodate everyone. Thank you.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 40,276 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I appreciate your comment and yes we will continue to help people make this transition and accommodate everyone for as long as we can.