Help with Windows 8 and Sitebuilder

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I recently purchased a new HP laptop with Windows 8. I cannot go to my website manager page, it just times out. Tried IE 10, Chrome and Firefox. Works OK on Windows 7 and XP. What can I do to fix this?
Photo of Richard1906

Richard1906

• 690 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of lbfarley-1

lbfarley-1

• 444 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Can you set me up for Plus, also. As I understand, it is best to use it will Chrome or Firefox, correct?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Have you published everything and exited the old Sitebuilder. Let us know and we will convert the account and then tell you how to login.

Drew
Photo of lbfarley-1

lbfarley-1

• 444 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yes. Everything is published.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Ok, you are changed. Log in at http://www.homestead.com and go to Websites manager and click Edit site.

Drew
Photo of Vijay4308

Vijay4308

• 60 Points
Please set my account to use SiteBuilder Plus. I've been trying all other remedies for over a year now - nothing works. I have Windows 8 on HP laptop. The SuiteBuilder fails to launch every singe time. I urgently need to do major changes on my web-site which I cannot do with the "light" version on-line. I have already suffered losses because of not being able to update my web-site properly. It's really urgent now. Thanks
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

It has been switched. Go to websites manager and click the edit site button and you will be taken to Sitebuilder Plus.

Drew
Photo of Penelope8671

Penelope8671

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have Windows 8 and the older version of Sitebuilder (I think). I'm having problems receiving form submissions with the information typed into the form. I only get a no reply e-mail from Homestead saying someone filled out a form on my website, and then the body of the e-mail just has a hyperlink to the blank form. I've tried everything and was on a chat for a very long time with Homestead with no resolution. I'm wondering if Sitebuilder Plus is the answer. What do you think?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,578 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Penelope8671, I responded to your other post, but yes, there is a good chance switching to SB+ could fix the issue. There are many features in which SB+ has upgraded code for the newer web browsers. Sometimes by just switching to the Plus version and publishing the site it can fix numerous problems. Let me know if you'd like to switch. Just make sure you have published all of your work from the Desktop version before you have us make the switch.

Mike
Photo of Penelope8671

Penelope8671

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes, I'd like to switch to SB+, and yes, my site is published.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Penelope8671, You account has been switched to SB+ per your request.

Thanks!

Mike
Photo of nancy2368

nancy2368

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Because this has your attention I would like to add this. I have recently been told that I can not use SB Desktop after an edit through SB+ due to new templates not being compatible with SB Desktop from SB+. I do alot of work on the computer and most of my work is desktop friendly, which I personally chose to have. I have been with your company for 7+/- years and have brought some websites to Homestead. SB Desktop is my premium choice of editing for various reasons. In the future, if possible, it would be great to sync the two, again. I have tried the online editing and personally, I don't find it to be as user friendly. I don't mind change and rolling with the punches, per se, but this particular issue has not been a good experience for me. While I am disgruntle about the particular product I can not complain about the service I have been given. I have stayed because you have great customer service, which is hard to find these days. Thank you for your time. Have a great day.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Thanks for your comments nancy2368, As you have probably seen, our company has been going through a lot of change the last several months. The future of the desktop application is a little uncertain. Most of the demand seems to be for the Plus, web based version, so it's probably no likely that the desktop version will be updated, however there has not been a final determination made. Your comments help though.

Mike
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
C'mon Mike let's be a little more honest about this Plus thing. It isn't that there is a demand for it 1. New sign-ups aren't told there are two versions and given a choice 2. Most of the folks switching to Plus are ones who have issues with Win 8 and nothing has really been done to help them so they switch out of desperation so they can work on their sites. 3. Customers with issues are often told by Tech Support that they have to switch to Plus in order for SiteBuilder to work. To me Mike, that is not demand, it's a rather backhanded way for Homestead to push Plus and eliminate the much better desktop version.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

The desktop version was actually designed many years ago and has not had any significant upgrades since Windows XP was the latest operating system. By far, cloud software is becoming more and more popular for almost every webhosting company. I actually don't know of any hosting companies that still offer a desktop application (I'm sure there are some somewhere). I realize that there is a learning curve and some people simply do not like the new version, but, it does have additional capabilities and is by far more universal than the desktop version.
Photo of cindy6423

cindy6423

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I would Like to switch to SB plus too..but can not figure out where you switch..Help Please..I can't work with lite version....too lite :)
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

cindy6423,

We'll have to make the change from our end, but, you will want to make sure any recent work you've done has been published. If it has, and you are ready to convert, just reply here and we'll make the change for you.

Mike
Photo of cindy6423

cindy6423

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
all published ..thanks :)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Great

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.