Good God people, just fix the email system.

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I was moved to the new email platform and continue to have customers angry with me that my emails are not getting to them, and theirs are not getting to me. I thought this problem was supposed to be fixed. No bounce back messages on either side, just missing email. I am at the end of my patience with Homestead on this. Also, since the new system, I cannot delete email on my IPad. Every time I try to delete something I get a message that says "unable to move message. The message cannot be moved to the mailbox trash." Please just fix the problems already, or my project for the new year will be to look for website provider.
Photo of Leslee5222

Leslee5222

• 792 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • Beyond frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 262,524 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Is this happening for both your domains or only one? Do you have an example of a message that failed? If you can I could use the sender address, recipient address, subject line, and the date/time sent.

It would also be helpful to have the original message. If you don't want to post it publicly, then let us know and we can send you an email to reply to.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Jody2535

Jody2535

• 60 Points
I have a number of websites on my account and am not having problems with all of them, but there is one domain that I can't even access. All the emails are getting lost in cyber space. Help! Anyone else having this problem?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,478 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
What is the domain, and we'll take a look? are there any more details or errors, anything you can provide?
Photo of Carolyn5206

Carolyn5206

• 434 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
www.gibsonasso.com and yes, I've had several errors this a.m. I tried to e-mail them to my personal account but it wouldn't let me. It times out sometimes and I don't really know it so then I'll refresh and see I had a bunch of messages come in...I haven't done the port thing as I'm not sure where that is to change it. Carolyn
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Carolyn5206, This page has links to instructions for the most popular email clients. If you have not done the updates, it is necessary.
Photo of Carolyn5206

Carolyn5206

Mike, Please put the link that I need to upgrade to in this reply as I'm not sure which link you are referring to...also, I do not use another email client...I just used HMail and now I just want to use this new system for my emails related to our company website...are you saying that I must use Outlook or Thunder as this new upgrade cannot just be used as is without getting errors? Carolyn
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you are not using Outlook, or Thunderbird and only wish to use the web mail client, then all you nee to do is go to www.homestead.com and click the WebMail link at the top of the home page. You can also use "email.yourdomainame.com" and that will take you to the login screen also.
Photo of Carolyn5206

Carolyn5206

Mike, That is how I've been logging into the new e-mail system and I do want to use the web mail client only but I've been getting errors and it also logs off by itself sometimes....when I get the errors, it gives me the option to e-mail the error messages but I don't know who to forward them to so you can see what the errors are....is there an e-mail address for tech support so I can send these error messages in when I receive them? Thanks again, Carolyn
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Carolyn5206, Sorry about the error messages and the log off problem. This a known issue already being addressed. There's no need to send us the error. Our email admins have advised us that there are several server software updates that they are pushing out over the next 1-2 weeks, which should resolve the issue.
Photo of Carolyn5206

Carolyn5206

Mike, Great, thanks for your message. I know new systems take some time to get the bugs worked out so it is fine. At least all messages seem to be getting to where they are supposed to and my clients are able to reply without any problems now. I do appreciate your support. Warm regards, Carolyn
Photo of Leslee5222

Leslee5222

It is mostly the largest lashes domain. I am missing emails from pflyinghi@ yahoo and pdoyal2@ gmail and both are missing emails from me. Also, all of a sudden I am missing an entire week of email from 12/9-12/14. I didn't delete those messages b/c I haven't been able to delete anything on my iPad since I was moved on 12/15. What in the world is going on? Please just tell me. These email issues have been going on since April and I have been more than patient. And I am tired of dealing with upset customers.
Photo of Leslee5222

Leslee5222

Also, sometimes when receiving email on my iPad it says "this message has no content."
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Leslee5222. It looks like there could be a few things not configured correctly. First, double check all of your settings here: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Second, If you can not delete emails check the steps here: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

As far as the missing emails from 12/9-12/14... did you have any other computer or device configured to receive emails for this account. If it was set up with a POP3 account it could have removed them from the server.

If those messages are not on another computer or device then we may have to re-open the old zimbra account and manually get them. Do you know approximately how many emails are missing, or is it everything in that date range?

The quickest way to help you may be to just temporarily re-open the account and so you can log in and get the data you need. Would you like us to do that?
Photo of Leslee5222

Leslee5222

Ok. I think I got the iPad to delete. The missing messages from that date range on my iPad are still on my PC. But what about emails not going through? I double checked my settings, some are coming/going, some are not. I don't know details of missing, just I have heard from both those two on the hotmail account I established that they are not getting mine, and I am not getting theirs. Am I blacklisted again? Can you see if my settings are not configured correctly? If I am missing something, please tell me.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

For any messages that your recipients are not getting...do you get any type of bounce/undeliverable message?

Also, for any messages that you are not receiving from other senders.... do the senders get any bounce messages when trying to email you?

We'll need those bounce messages to analyze if possible.
Photo of Leslee5222

Leslee5222

No bounce back messages on either side.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

When you send your messages, do they all show up in the sent folder? or do they stay in the Outbox?
Photo of Leslee5222

Leslee5222

They are in the sent folder.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If they are in the sent folder and you are not getting bounce messages, then the recipient may want to check their junk or spam folders or make sure they don't have filters or rules set up which place the emails in a different folder. Another possibility is that they could be getting auto-forwarded.
Photo of Leslee5222

Leslee5222

And why am I not getting their messages?
Photo of Leslee5222

Leslee5222

And yes, I've checked my junk and spam folders.
Photo of Leslee5222

Leslee5222

Since I communicate with my clients exclusively through email, how do you propose I let them know to check their junk folders? That's pretty simple, I think most people probably already know to do that. I have resorted to using a hotmail account, which doesn't look very professional, and having email is part of what I'm paying for.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You may want to just call us as there are are so many variables here that need to be checked. Without anything tangible as far as no bounce messages or us being able to see your email configuration its hard to troubleshoot. Give us a call at 800-710-1998 when you have time to stay on the phone as it will probably be best to have a live agent try to send emails back and forth with you while you are on the phone with them.
Photo of Carolyn5206

Carolyn5206

Thanks Mike...I'm on hold again now....waited 30 minutes on Tuesday and gave up thinking everyone must be on vacation...
Photo of Carolyn5206

Carolyn5206

Mike, I'm on the new system now and keep getting errors but do not know what they mean and do no know where to forward them....here is one for instance...I also get logged off for no reason...

1. 02-03-2014 05:20 PM GMT
Message could not be moved to trash folder on server localhost with login cj@gibsonasso.com (user=26, context=1988980696) (IMAP-2034, -525835590-1425704)
2. 02-03-2014 06:33 PM GMT
A severe error occurred. (MSG-1003, -525835590-1797372)
3. 02-03-2014 06:33 PM GMT
No access to mail folder INBOX on server localhost with login cj@gibsonasso.com (user=26, context=1988980696) (IMAP-2003, -525835590-1797371)
4. 02-03-2014 06:33 PM GMT
A severe error occurred. (MSG-1016, -525835590-1797398)
5. 02-03-2014 07:00 PM GMT
A severe error occurred. (MSG-1003, -525835590-1945260)
6. 02-03-2014 07:00 PM GMT
A severe error occurred. (MSG-1003, -525835590-1945261)
7. 02-03-2014 07:00 PM GMT
A severe error occurred. (MSG-1003, -525835590-1945493)
8. 02-03-2014 07:02 PM GMT
A severe error occurred. (MSG-1016, -525835590-1971400)

Date: Mon Feb 03 2014 11:02:43 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
Host: https://emailmg.homestead.com/ox6/ox....
Version: 6.22.0 Rev6 (UI), - (Server)
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0

Module: mail, View: mail/hsplit/unthreaded, Folder: default0/INBOX, Default folders: contacts=155calendar=154tasks=156eas=true, Landing page: mail, Tree: New, Expert: No, Language: en_US

Loaded modules: calendar, com.openexchange.eas.provisioning.ui, com.openexchange.extras, com.openexchange.group, com.openexchange.mobile.configuration.gui, com.openexchange.oxupdater, com.openexchange.publish, com.openexchange.resource, com.openexchange.secret.recovery, com.openexchange.subscribe, com.openexchange.upsell.multiple.gui, com.openexchange.user.passwordchange, com.openexchange.user.personaldata, com.openexchange.usm, com.openexchange.usm.eas, com.openexchange.usm.json, com.openexchange.wizard, contacts, folder, infostore, interfaces, mail, mailaccount, messaging, olox20, portal, tasks, themes, uwaWidgets
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Carolyn5206, I've alreaduy done some research on this error and our admins will be pushing out some server software upgrades in the next few days. If this problem is persistent and prevents you from using the email, you might try to configure Outlook or Thunderbird instead of using the web client.
Photo of Carolyn5206

Carolyn5206

Hi Mike,

Everything else seems stable so I am happy for the most part...I do wish this program had some kind of notifier so I don't always have to keep looking at it and refreshing it to know if I've received a message but I can live with that. At least my messages are coming and going without much delay and I appreciate that. I don't really want to have another program to learn like Outlook or Thunder just for that feature. Carolyn
Photo of Carolyn5206

Carolyn5206

I, too, am not receiving my messages and some people get an Undeliverable message back. Also, my sent messages come in 12-14 hours later. This is so unprofessional and I couldn't even chat or talk with anyone in support about it after waiting and waiting. I, too, am getting very close to going elsewhere for my website.
Photo of John5710

John5710

• 520 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
i've been a homestead customer for over 10 years. this new email just pushed me out to seek a new vendor. email is horrible beyond my imagination.
Photo of Carlos3296

Carlos3296

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Exciting news! As part of Homestead's commitment to continuously
improve ITS services, we are upgrading YOUR email (you may know
it as Hmail) to a new platform AND TESTING ITS reliability ON YOUR LIVE BUSINESS EMAIL!! AREN'T YOU AS EXCITED AS WE ARE TO SEE IF IT REALLY WORKS!!?
Photo of John5710

John5710

horrible, unprofessional .. the prior email system was crap but this new email is beyond a joke. time to leave after over 10 years as homestead customer.
Photo of Carlos3296

Carlos3296

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Drew, why are you asking her (Leslee522) all these questions. Sounds like you did not ask enough of them during beta testing...You know, that's making sure on YOUR end it ready for PRIME TIME. I feel for you if you are just an employee.

I have to agree with John 5710, I think I will use my waiting time to relocate my website. This has to be the last straw for me in string of disappointments, johnny-come-lately changes, and the deteriorating support.
Photo of Frank4969

Frank4969

• 350 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'm in the same boat as everyone else above. Some emails are going through and some aren't. I have had clients tell me they sent me messages but nothing is in my inbox/junk folders. Very frustrating ...
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Frank4969, We'll be happy to help you troubleshoot this but need something to work with. Does the sender have any bounce message or anything to show that they've sent the email? Also, depending on how you are checking your email do you have any filters or rules or forwarding options that could be routing the email elsewhere, thus not producing a bounce message?
Photo of Carolyn5206

Carolyn5206

I am not even on the new e-mail yet but as usual, Hmail hasn't worked for days with any kind of reliability....plus I was on hold forever on Tuesday until I just gave up...same with chat....worst tech service ever....was so good when I started but has just gone to hell the last couple of years.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sorry about the experience. Where they able to help you with your email or are you still having problems?
Photo of Carolyn5206

Carolyn5206

Hi Mike, I did talk with someone and he helped somewhat and took the bounced info. and said they would look into it and get back to me. I forward all my Hmail to my AOL account because it is so reliable and he said that I shouldn't forward to AOL anymore but I don't find that to be a great answer. I can't even send myself an e-mail to AOL to test from Hmail without it taking hours to come through. Plus, that doesn't explain why a client's e-mail to me never reached me through Hmail and why another person got an undeliverable message. I'm just hoping at this point that the new e-mail will be better but people are really complaining about it so I have to wonder.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sorry for the issue with the email forwarding problem. This thread explains why you will want to remove the auto-forward feature: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Once your email account gets converted to the new platform this problem will not persist and you'll be able set it up again.

Mike
Photo of Carolyn5206

Carolyn5206

Mike, OK, thanks for your response and the info. about this known issue. Carolyn
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You're welcome.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I understand everyone's frustration and don't mind at all if you vent or voice your complaints here, but our number one goal is to help you all out. We are still in the process of converting accounts to the new system. At this time both the old and new systems are working fine so if anyone is having a problem sending or receiving, then we need to look at something more specific at the account level.

First, you'll want to make sure you are using the correct configurations depending on which platform you are on. https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Next if everything is configured correctly, but you are still having problems sending or receiving, then please provide us with some details, bounce messages, error messages etc. so that we have something to research.

Thanks

Mike
Photo of John5710

John5710

new email system does not recognize email address from contacts as you begin to type. old email would recognize. for example type r and all email addresses with r in contact list or recently sent email would be avaialible option to select.

what is wrong?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

It can depend on your browser. Unless you have the feature disabled, most browsers and an auto-fill, or auto-complete feature that remembers data previously entered into a field. In most cases, after type the email address in the first time, it will remember it for the next time.

Mike
Photo of John5710

John5710

Okay, thanks. but not working like the old email system. no other system changes. also i get error messages then forced to close email and lose changes.

Are there any plans to change the new system in the very near future, Thanks
Photo of John5710

John5710

can we send emails via outlook using our homestead web site address. I know we can view emails received but can we respond to those emails received using outlook? if we had that your part of your problems may be reduced.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Yes... it's very simple to just change the server name in outlook and it will function like normal. This page shows all the email configuration options.

https://community.homestead.com/homes...

You can use the web client by typing in "email.yourdomain.com" and sending that way also.
Photo of Ana6300

Ana6300

• 96 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Extremely annoyed that a homestead is still dealing with this email nightmare. Clearly all of us using homestead services are in the type of business where we deal with customers in some way or another and email communication is huge. There has been a lot of business opportunity lost on my end as quick response to customer or prospects is what drives my business (I sell services not products, so you can understand). I have begun looking for a new solution. Its very sad that I have to spend my time on this tech nonsense now rather than managing other parts of my business.
Photo of Carolyn5206

Carolyn5206

I agree with you Ana...we sell service too and I forward my messages to an e-mail service that is reliable but now I can't and have to rely on Hmail until whatever the replacement system is and hope that it is better. If you find a better solution that is easy to edit like the web builder and has a reliable e-mail system with it, I'd like to know about it.
Photo of SalGonzalez1

SalGonzalez1

• 158 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yeah the web builder is the only reason I'm with Homestead, but the new email is almost enough to make me start over trying to find a new web builder / company.
Photo of Ana6300

Ana6300

• 96 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I find it funny how with all the customers' complaints about the horrifying email [lack of] service, the tech support tells me that there is something wrong on my end...

Can you explain why am I getting this message when I can't deliver email?

" Hi. This is the qmail-send program at gproxy5-pub.mail.unifiedlayer.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

:
2607:f8b0:400d:0c02:0000:0000:0000:001a failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 [2605:dc00:100:2::a5 16] Our system has detected that this
550-5.7.1 message does not meet IPv6 sending guidelines regarding PTR records
550-5.7.1 and authentication. Please review
550-5.7.1 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=ip... for more
550 5.7.1 information. 4si64456038qeq.17 - gsmtp"
Photo of Drew N

• 262,450 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I understand the frustration you are feeling. Most of the errors reported are not system errors, they are account specific and we have to research each one.

In your case, this might be on our end, but due to a change in the system of your recipient. This is the first time we have seen this particualr error. It is not possible to predict changes other companies make to their systems. We are looking into what needs to be done to fix it.

Can you tell me the recipient's email address?

Thanks

Drew
Photo of lbfarley-1

lbfarley-1

• 444 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This is what I am receiving also. Two different recipients from two completely different ISPs. See my message below.
Photo of Carolyn5206

Carolyn5206

I received this very same message when I tried to send yesterday also...tried it twice with same result and I know the e-mail address was good....don't you love the part where it says "Sorry, it didn't work out?" Like it is only supposed to work some time and isn't much of an issue....
Photo of Drew N

Can you provide me the email address you were sending to?

Drew
Photo of Carolyn5206

Carolyn5206

Hi Drew,

My message to a client bounced twice on Friday but went through today and today everything seems to be working well except that almost every time I try to send a message, I get a network error message with an X. But I just keep trying and then after one and sometimes two of those messages, it goes through. So, better today than it has been for a while. Carolyn
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you get the error message again, can you please post it here also?
Photo of Carolyn5206

Carolyn5206

Sure, here is the message I get almost every time I send a message:

Big Red X

A network service error has occurred.

Then two boxes to check that say:

Send Error Report and Show Details

I hit OK and then I can send on the second or third try. Carolyn
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you click the "show details" link, does it give you more information? We did restart a few of the servers yesterday which may have been the cause of this. Is it still persisting?
Photo of Carolyn5206

Carolyn5206

Hi Mike,

Here is the "show details" info. on e-mail I tried to send. Please note I removed the body of the message since the information is confidential:

A network service error has occurred.
detail: soap:Receiver
trace: btpool0-11818://mail11.homesteadmail.com/service/soap/SendMsgRequest:1389121362053:3443cf500ada6c80
request: Body: {
SendMsgRequest: {
_jsns: "urn:zimbraMail",
m: {
attach: {
mp: [
0: {
mid: "505847",
part: "2"
}
]
},
e: [
a: "kristyg1@mindspring.com",
add: "0",
p: "Kristy Gibson",
t: "t"
},
1: {
a: "cj@gibsonasso.com",
p: "Carolyn Johnson",
t: "f"
}
],
idnt: "99883fb1-2ea5-4e80-989c-7d79c87a255f",
irt: {
_content: "<136407675.1902324.1389120896115.JavaM...>"
},
mp: [
content: {
_content: "Sorry this is a duplicate...didn't look like AOL had the attachment on it? CJ

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: cj@gibsonasso.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:54:56 AM
Subject: Referral by Karen from LHH - Kristy Gibson

Hi Kristy,

Tiffani Lee "
},
ct: "text/plain"
}
],
origid: "505847",
rt: "w",
su: {
_content: "Fwd: Referral by Karen from LHH - Kristy Gibson"
}
},
suid: 1389121358446
}
},
Header: {
context: {
_jsns: "urn:zimbra",
account: {
_content: "cj@gibsonasso.com",
by: "name"
},
authToken: "(removed)",
notify: {
seq: 37
},
session: {
_content: 11469244,
id: 11469244
},
userAgent: {
name: "ZimbraWebClient - FF3.0 (Win)",
version: "7.2.0_GA_2669"
}
}
}
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Thanks for posting this error Carolyn5206 ,

I've notified the mail admins but this should be a temporary error. If necessary try sending the email again.

Mike
Photo of lbfarley-1

lbfarley-1

I am receiving, but can't reply. Here is the message I am getting on bounced emails. Hi. This is the qmail-send program at gproxy5-pub.mail.unifiedlayer.com.

:
2607:f8b0:400d:0c02:0000:0000:0000:001a failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 [2605:dc00:100:2::a5 16] Our system has detected that this
550 5.7.1 information. ko6si67206262qeb.9 - gsmtp

--- Enclosed are the original headers of the message.
Photo of Drew N

Can you give me the recipient email address please?

Drew
Photo of lbfarley-1

lbfarley-1

Interesting that it didn't copy over with the rest of the message. It's 4paws@chatmosscable.com. Had the same problem with gabig@cableone.net.
Photo of Drew N

Thanks. Both are hosted by Google. They seem to have made a change. I am in contact with folks to do what we need to.

Drew
Photo of Drew N

• 262,524 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
For anyone that was receiving this error, when sending to gmail addresses, or Google hosted email, today, please try sending again.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at gproxy5-pub.mail.unifiedlayer.com.

:
2607:f8b0:4002:0c01:0000:0000:0000:000e failed after I sent the message.
550 5.7.1 information. i24si1985514yhe.6 - gsmtp

--- Enclosed are the original headers of the message.

Let us know if you are able to send now.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of lbfarley-1

lbfarley-1

I just resent my two.
Photo of Drew N

No bounce?
Photo of lbfarley-1

lbfarley-1

This address still failed
:

The other went through just fine this time.
Photo of lbfarley-1

lbfarley-1

4paws@chatmosscable.com - is the address that failed again.
Photo of Drew N

Same error? Can you post it again? There might be a propagation time for Google's servers to recognize our fix..

Drew
Photo of lbfarley-1

lbfarley-1

OK, done. Will let you know.
Photo of lbfarley-1

lbfarley-1

It went through this time. Just got off the phone with the recipient.
Photo of Drew N

Glad to hear it.
Photo of Andrea8922

Andrea8922

• 286 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Wait, you have to call people to make sure they got your email? That seems a little cumbersome....
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

As long as you don't get any bounce messages or errors when sending, then your emails should be delivered. Did you have a more specific concern you want to explain?
Photo of lbfarley-1

lbfarley-1

Good job! Thanks so much for getting this straightened out.
Photo of Drew N

You're welcome
Photo of Andrea8922

Andrea8922

• 286 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Upgrade ...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.