gmail servers rejected domain emails

• Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving inactive content.

The past two days I am receiving rejection notices for gmail accounts. These are Order Confirmations sent from BC and we have not made any changes to any of those settings for years.

I ended up refunding one of the Orders based on the email rejection and apparently the recipient received the Refund Notice email through BC. I responded to them and the response (generated from my desktop did not get rejected).

This is the error explanation by Google for the rejection (for both gmail rejections):
"550 5.7.1 Our system has detected an unusual amount of unsolicited mail originating from your IP address. To protect our users from spam, mail sent from your IP address4 has been rejected/temporarily blocked."

Here is the actual info from the email source:
Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;mxxxxxx115@gmail.com
Remote-MTA: dns; gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
Remote-MTA: X-ip; [173.194.175.26]
X-Remote-MTA-smtp-greeting: X-str; 220 mx.google.com ESMTP x9si120270qkf.220 - gsmtp
X-Remote-MTA-helo-response: X-str; 250-mx.google.com at your service, [66.96.190.5]
X-Exim-Diagnostic: X-str; SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: 550-5.7.1 This message does not have authentication information or fails to pass\n550-5.7.1 authentication checks. To best protect our users from spam, the\n550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit\n550-5.7.1  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more\n550 5.7.1 information. x9si120270qkf.220 - gsmtp
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-5.7.1 This message does not have authentication information or fails to pass
 550-5.7.1 authentication checks. To best protect our users from spam, the
 550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit
 550-5.7.1  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more
 550 5.7.1 information. x9si120270qkf.220 - gsmtp

--1549121245-eximdsn-1768563126
Content-type: text/rfc822-headers

Return-path: <CustomerService@xxxxxxxxxxx.com>
Received: from bosmailscan10.eigbox.net ([10.20.15.10])
by bosmailout05.eigbox.net with esmtp (Exim)
id 1gpxCW-0001pw-HX
for mxxxxxxx115@gmail.com; Sat, 02 Feb 2019 10:27:24 -0500

I have temporarily changed the email in BC to send from Sales@mydomain but confident that does not correct the issue.

Although over the years I have not had any issue with Spam/Junk to my domain emails, lately I have which I had to filter in Roundcube.

BC offers a domain email address, should I be going in that direction?
Photo of S

S

• 6,760 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,936 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

The email is leaving our servers as they are suppose to, but being blocked by Google's servers. We don't have much control over this, but I will submit a ticket to see if we can change the IP address associated with your domain to one that is not being blocked.
Photo of S

S

That would be great since we do not send any bulk emails. So what is the alternative since most all emails are 'gmail'?

2nd part of my question dealt with creating an email within BC (at least for Order Confirmations) but admittedly that would cause some issue and confusion.

FYI - sorry for the delay in response, but did not get a notification that you had responded. This seems to happen periodically where I somehow get knocked off the notifications being sent.
Photo of S

S

As mentioned earlier I did change the store to generate notifications from the 'Sales@mydomain' email and as expected this problem persists obviously for all emails on this domain and it MUST be corrected. I have had an account at Homestead for over twenty years and CANNOT operate a storefront without providing Order Confirmations and Shipping Notifications to Customers.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,936 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately, as I mentioned, this is Google blocking our emails. We are requesting that they unblock us, but it is not on our end. The emails are sending from our server successfully. You would, for now, either need to choose a different email, not connected to that domain, to have for those notifications, or put a notice on your store that customers not use a gmail address when ordering.
Photo of S

S

Tell customers placing Orders not to use their gmail account? Really? How many mobile users would that perplex considering many only use a gmail account on their phones.

This is what I pay for? A domain and storefront with a connected email to have them send from block IP's? FYI, this actually happened several years ago with AOL emails as well.

Problem still persists and is creating chaos. Considering 80% plus users have gmail, it is hard to believe a 'web hosting' company is telling their customers not to use their own domain email!

Maybe what needs to be considered is 'why' HS IP's are being blocked - maybe tell your bulk mailer/spammers to use alternate emails or better yet block them.

Please advise when my domain has been moved to an IP that is not blocked.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Good morning. Are you still seeing the problem? It should have been solved by using your domain. BC specifically wants you to use an email that matches the store domain.

https://support.bigcommerce.com/s/article/Why-arent-my-customers-receiving-store-notification-emails...
We do not have bulk mail senders. Our servers limit the outgoing mail from an account by the hour and by the day.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.