FTP Access

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Prohibiting FTP access should have been told to Homestead users before this was done. Especially since we are paying for a service that was there and is now gone.
Photo of Michael6815

Michael6815

• 340 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

• 39,954 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Michael6815,

Welcome to the community!

Email notices were sent out to all Homestead clients in addition to posts in the previous community informing everyone that FTP access would soon be discontinued before the service was closed.

I understand this is a paint point for a lot of users, this feedback has been passed along to our dev team - I unfortunately do not have an ETA for if/when ftp access will be reimplemented.

I apologize if you didn't see the email or community post notices and for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks,
Ehsan
Photo of Michael6815

Michael6815

Thanks Ehsan.

I am wondering of anyone else received this email alert you mentioned. As a 10 year Homestead customer who spends $70 a month, I read every email that is received from Homestead. This is not one I remember seeing.

Just let it be known, that this is a major function of a website developer, that is now gone and makes life a whole lot more difficult. I for one have to now decide which direction I want to take. Undortuantely, I cannot rely on your development team to implement changes. Decisions have to be made from your customers end, and I have to wonder if this was actually let known to them.

Do you have acopy of th eemail that you say was sent out and on what date was it sent?
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Michael6815,

I apologize for the delay in response -

I can't remember the specific date off the top of my head but I will look into that for you and see if I can find a copy of that email as well so i can forward it to you.

I completely agree and understand that FTP is a major function that a lot of web developers use and can make things difficult if they're not able to use it. Unfortunately we're unable unable to offer FTP access.

Thank you,
Ehsan
Photo of Michael6815

Michael6815

Can you please provide the info you said you would get back with me about? Does aANYONE "rememnmber" receiving such an email, as was mentioned?

Even GODADDY provides FTP access. What's the real reason behind restricting this access?
Photo of Michael6815

Michael6815

Ehsan Zaheer, you said you woul dattempt ro locate a copy of the email that wa ssupposedley sent out to Homestead customers, even though I or others on this thread do not remember any such email.

If this was such a major rollout and this email WAS sent, it should be pretty easy to find and present here on this thread.

Changing this service (stopping FTP uploads) was not mentioned to me ever, in any form and to suggest that one has to search this forum to find news about Homestead's changing service is ludicrous.

I'll be awaiting your reply about the email, which you said 20 days ago you would present here.
Photo of Erma6631

Erma6631

• 72 Points
I save a copy of every email I receive from Intuit in a folder on my computer. I do not have this email. I used homestead temporarily to create a website for my work, but my main personal site was written in HTML with CSS by me and I used FTP to upload.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Erma6631,

I'm not sure why you wouldn't have received this email. We had also posted a notice in the community to ensure that all of our users would see it.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused, however, as far as I know we will not be adding FTP access. If this changes, we'll be sure to let you all know.

Thank you,
Ehsan
Photo of Phil5720

Phil5720

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
No offense, but is Homestead providing services to professionals or to "grandma" who does not know a thing about computers?
We have businesses to run, what the heck is wrong with you?
Photo of Michael6815

Michael6815

I agree Phil. !00%. This is the only web company I know that is prohibiting access to FTP. That, along with their less that reliable e-mail service, which for the past week has been down, has me searching elsewhere.
Photo of ssalifou23438

ssalifou23438

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
they better figure out how to give FTP access to customers or otherwise allow access to files via export or something. BBB will be real glad to know about this. I would also suggest letting your local media(news) outlets know about this. I am sure that intuit will be real happy to find out about this. oh thats right. i live in fredericksburg va. i used to work at intuit. maybe they will find out. maybe posting to every blog that you can will also help put pressure on. Facebook Twitter linkedin pinterest. they all should be blown up about this.
Photo of Michael6815

Michael6815

Does ANYONE "rememmber" receiving such an email, as was mentioned?
Photo of Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I want to use my homestead service to upload a site from my iPad, I need to know the server address, the user name and password, ...?? Where do I find out about ftp stuff??

The website maker app is called, HTMLEgg

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
ftp Help.
Photo of rigdoninc7646

rigdoninc7646

• 648 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I never got any email about FTP.
Photo of David

David

• 60 Points
I subscribe to a service that is supposed to be able to "seamlessly" be integrated to any other website. This service offers tools that are of great importance to my potential clients for organizational as well as communication with me. My problem is that it requires PHP, can I integrate my Intuit site with this other service that I am presently paying a premium to use but is of no use if I cant have it available on my Inuit website?
Photo of Robin Evans

Robin Evans

this is very disappointing... Homestead used to be a great service but if they're going to continue to withhold ftp access i guess ill drift away and use services that do offer support... seems like they're cutting their own throats tho?
Photo of Hutke0849

Hutke0849

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
FTP Access is like access to food or water for a developer. It is a "must",
Photo of Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Is there are reason why Homestead dont offer it anymore???
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Robin,

I apologize for the delay -

As far as I know we will not be offering FTP access, if that changes we'll be sure to update you all.

Thank you,
Ehsan
Photo of Erma6631

Erma6631

• 72 Points
My next Google search will be Website hosting
Photo of Michael6815

Michael6815

Ehsan Zaheer, you said you woul dattempt ro locate a copy of the email that wa ssupposedley sent out to Homestead customers, even though I or others on this thread do not remember any such email.

If this was such a major rollout and this email WAS sent, it should be pretty easy to find and present here on this thread.

Changing this service (stopping FTP uploads) was not mentioned to me ever, in any form and to suggest that one has to search this forum to find news about Homestead's changing service is ludicrous.

I'll be awaiting your reply about the email, which you said 20 days ago you would present here.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Michael,

I'm really sorry for the delay - Below is a screen shot of the email was sent out.

We had posted a notice in the old community (before moving to this one) as well as sent the email you'll see below prior to FTP being discontinued.

Thank you,
Ehsan
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Official Response
Hi All,

I apologize for the delay -

Here is a screenshot of the email that was sent out prior to FTP being discontinued.

Thank you,
Ehsan

Photo of Anita8197

Anita8197

• 62 Points
So, I am out of luck unless I want to spend the day uploading all the files I would need for a Flipbook for clients to view, correct?

Will we get our FTP back or not?
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Anita197,

Unfortunately FTP will not be brought back as far as I know. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience, if anything with this changes, I'll be sure to update the community.

Thank you,
Ehsan
Photo of Donna1274

Donna1274

• 60 Points
I am a website developer i am currently redeveloping this website. Coming to learn that you no longer offer FTP access I am making recommendations to my client to have their services moved. Can you please provide instructions to transfer the domain and the website in its entirety to another hosting site like go-daddy that provide an FTP so that we can develop the website i was contracted to complete.
Photo of Ryan9669

Ryan9669

• 70 Points
I will be moving my websites as well. I need FTP. The problem with SiteBuilder is it will only let you select to Import one file at a time. If you have a hundred files to Import and Upload, this would take a considerable amount of time.
Photo of Ryan9669

Ryan9669

• 70 Points
FYI. I have been with Homestead for at least 5+ years
Photo of Bradley0839

Bradley0839

• 60 Points
Cancelling my account, this is BS!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Good morning,

We do understand that some people want FTP access. At this time it is not available, however, you may request access to the new editor, Sitebuilder Plus. Sitebuilder Plus' file manager allows you to select multiple files for uploading.

Thanks

Drew

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.