Explanation from Homestead?

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving inactive content

Is there an official explanation from Homestead regarding the train wreck I stumbled into today? I have been using Homestead for at least 10 years, I run a business with my site and confidence is shaken. Please advise.
Photo of Andrew9636

Andrew9636

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • concerned

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Andrew9636

Andrew9636

The apparent issue is cloud vs desk top versions of Homestead.  Is my current site safe and supported? Can it be transferred to the cloud version? I became aware of the issue when I tried to build a new site today and fell into a rabbit hole of frustrated customers while trying to learn what happened to the format I am familiar with.....seems like Elizabeth is on her own in trying to explain the issues. Remarkable break down of such a long standing service.
Photo of Les6064

Les6064

• 8,740 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Andrew:

Your current website is not  safe, and according to Homestead it is not supported anymore either. The only thing you need to do is contact the support team to receive an SSL certificate because your site is vulnerable as it stands now to get hacked.
This will help for now but ultimately I would advise you to start working on updating your website to the latest "Website Builder".
I have been with Homestead for twenty years and I also ran a business using the old "Desktop" version. I now use the new version of Website Builder and am glad I did. It offers much more and it also comes with an SSL certificate and a mobile solution and I use the same domain name without the cloud name extension.
Photo of Andrew9636

Andrew9636

Thank you Les.
I see the last system status entry was Feb 20th of this year.  Has there been some change that I missed?  My mistake, I have always logged on and quickly made changes or created a new site, it seems that I missed some call to upgrade or change my status.  Any insight you can offer is greatly appreciated!  I am hoping to not have to learn a new system and move everything to a new platform.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Andrew, the new Websitebuilder program has a much more modern look and feel. The sites it makes are made mobile automatically and when you register a domain it should secure the site automatically as well.

You have been using Sitebuilder Plus it looks like and you can secure your sites by using a 3rd party. You can see how in this topic.

If you do a search here in the community for Site Spotlight, you can see some examples of customer built sites using the new Websitebuilder.There is a bit of a learning curve, but most people do prefer it once they get the hang of it.
It is possible for me to convert the site so that you can use the old program, but you will be better off in the long run if you used the new program.
Photo of Andrew9636

Andrew9636

Thanks very much.  I checked out the new program and it looks like I can come up to speed quickly.  Am I correct that replacing my current site will involve re-directing the domain to the new site?  My site links to a reservation system that will also need to be re-integrated, I will need to coordinate so we are dark for as short a time as possible.  Thanks again, I panicked when I saw all the chatter about trying to use the old program.  
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You can leave your old site running as is until the new site is fully completed. Keep in mind it is best to make sure you use the same page names when possible. Once you have the new site completed, it is a simple matter to move the domain to the new site. This will minimize the "dark" time.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.