empty image boxes suddenly floating out of place

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

When I sell a product that cannot be restocked I remove the image in advance of updating the page. The white outline of the box has suddenly started to float out of place within the last hour or so. I have restarted the page and do not know what else to do.  It seems to be happening on all pages. Here is the page I was working on but I haave not uploaded any changes so I do not know what happened. 
 http://whatdidyoubringme.homestead.com/files/neckties/RealtorNeckties.htm
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

• 3,278 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 63,530 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Can you get a screenshot? or, a link to the page you're referring to?
(Edited)
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

http://whatdidyoubringme.homestead.com/files/neckties/RealtorNeckties.htm this is a sample page but any page that has removed images has the white outline where the image was. before the lines stayed inside the cell outline the former placement of the image. Now they have moved down and to the right ow where the image used to be. This shift is entorely new as of yesterday. I do not want to tease with an unavailable product so I remove the image when I sell a product that cannot be restocked; in advance of doing a full page update later when I add new inventory. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It looks like the images may have been removed via file manager, but not yet from the page in Sitebuilder. That is what it should look like if this is the case. The page thinks it still has an image, but the image does not exist. The display is the "broken image" look.
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

I have been online since 1994 and it has never looked like this before yesterday. The white lines usually are in the same place as they were when the image was preasent. Now they have floated out of place to the right and down. This is entirely new and looks horroble. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I'm sorry, the ones I saw were right in the middle of the box. Can you get a screen shot? This is how I see all of the missing images on this page.

Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

Your shot is what I expect it to look like. 
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Kathy I'm seeing the same thing as Drew - the boxes appear ok, just lots of missing images.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

It looks like you are using Chrome. I have tried both Chrome and Firefox and I see them as my image. Can you try the other to see if it is the same?
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

I switched to Firefox years ago when your e-mail provider did not work in  Explorer and then to Chrome as it saved passwords etc and it was easier to sign on to frquently used sites. Until yesterday Chrome worked fine on this machine. My site looks normal in Firefox and Explorer but is as the screenshot I sent in Chrome. What happened? 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

It doesn't appear to be on our end as my Chrome looks just like Firefox. Did you update Chrome yesterday? What version of Chrome are you currently on?
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

I have made no intentional changes to Chrome. When I downloaded Foxfire today they said it was already here and had me refresh it since I had not used it in some time. How do I look up the Chrome version? The only new thing I did yesterday was to start investigating my possible search penalty status and ran a SEO diagnostic test on one of my pages. Good to know it looks normal on your computer.
http://agency.matthewwoodward.co.uk/
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

To find the version, click the 3 dots at the top right. Then go to help > About Google Chrome
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

It says I am up to date.
Version 60.0.3112.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Have you tried rebooting and checking again? Maybe clear history too?
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

I restarted the compter before I even started this discussion. I just emptied the history and restarted but the problem is still there. When I want to check the location for an image I want to remove I right click and open inspection to find its location folder. Today there was extra info on that popup that gives "highlights of chrome 60 upgrade". I clicked on it but it no longer comes up when I open inspection. That inidcates they might have upgraded me with my knowledge.... ?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

It depends on your settings,  but they could have. I am on the same build as you and I still don't see it the way you do. Do you have another computer you can look from, or someone that can do so for you? I have tried all browsers on 3 different computers and still do not see the problem.
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

I think you just lit the bulb. I used the mouse roller ball + control button to make the screen image smaller and the box eventually popped back into place. Of course I can no longer comfortably read the text. In explorer there is an xbox with the alt text but no white lines. In Foxfire the white box is properly placed and retains the proper aspect ratio as it grows.  I guess this is a problem with the chrome site and possibly due to the new version if that just happened recently. Is there some html that I can use to make it scroll like the Foxfire version? Chrome is better about saving passwords etc to sign in to frequently used sites. 
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
In Chrome click on the three vertical dots at the far right of the screen. You can use the zoom option listed in there to increase or decrease your screen size. Might help.
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

No matter how you adjust the screen size in Chrome the white boxes do not keep the proper aspect ratio. Is there some way to remove the broken image white lines as in Explorer which only has an x in a cube? 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Unfortunately only by removing the image element from the page. I do not believe there is a setting in Chrome to handle this.
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

Thank you for all your help with this. It will be easier to live with the annoyance now that I know why it is happening and I could always go back to Firefox. Unfortunately my eyes aren't getting younger so I will need to keep the screen filled. I may just have to edit the page by emptying the cell instead of just removing the image. I just wonder why it changed so suddenly. Can I go back to version 69 of Chrome? Did they update it automatically? It was all so sudden and unannounced. 
(Edited)
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

Oh, and I know aspect ratio is not the proper term for what happened. What would the proper term or process description be for part of a page that did not enlarge at the same rate as the rest of the page? 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.