Email seems different....... Doesn't seem to behave the same as with the old hmail (Zimbra)

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Over all I am VERY happy with the spam filters and stability of the new server..... So a big thank you. Once I figured out the advance settings, I can now delete messages ( apple devices)..... So Yay!!! ( Thanks for posting that).

One thing I noticed is if I delete my sent and trash, from the server..... They are gone form my phone ( which I excepted), but also from mac mail ( which I didn't). I have always set up my mail as imap...... and I don't remember it being that way before..... Maybe it was and I didn't notice.

Finally, what should I have the settings set for on my phone/mac.
What I mean it how long should I leave trash/junk/sent on the servers? A week, A month, Never, Always? Does your trash/sent/junk count against my storage space (mail quota)? I don't want to keep them on there if they are going to be taking up so much space.... And my email gets locked ( can't receive/send).

Any feedback is appreciated!
Photo of Kelli5377

Kelli5377

• 654 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
When using IMAP you are always looking at the server folders. That is why we and you were confused as to why your Apple devices were looking locally.

IMAP is made for keeping all devices synced so you don't have to delete the same message on multiple devices. You could set up your computer as a POP and set it to delete from the server under certain conditions, but just realizing that 1 device deletes on all devices is usually more convenient.

Quota would be the only problem with IMAP. You can fill up the server. I am actually not sure yet if the trash and such count. I will check in to that for you. If you get close to quota you can always let us know and we can give you options.

In the new platform you have 2 limits that you can see in the bottom right. One is number of messages total, the other is disk space.

Drew
Photo of Kelli5377

Kelli5377

Yes, agreed. Thats what I want...... if i delete it off my phone/computer/ipad.... i don't want to have to do that several times!!!!

Please let me know, about the trash/quota. But how will i know if i am close to my messages/disk space???? I almost never check it on the server, almost always from my mac/phone.....
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Unfortunately, client software does not report that information to you.

I will let you know if they count as soon as I find out.

Drew
Photo of Kelli5377

Kelli5377

An email/txt saying we are 50%, 75% ect would be great..... is there a way to do that?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The old system did send a quota warning. I am working on the new system now to see what is going to happen.
Photo of Kelli5377

Kelli5377

LOL! I never received one so I must of never came close.......
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

All folders are included in the quota, including sent and trash.

Drew
Photo of Kelli5377

Kelli5377

Figured that would be the case...... Thanks!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

No problem.
Photo of Kelli5377

Kelli5377

Also, when I mark an email as junk on my iOS (phone/ipad) it doesn't take them to a "junk" folder......like the old system did, it leaves them in my inbox marked as junk..... is there a way to fix that?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I will have to research this tomorrow. I don't have an ipad handy.

Drew
Photo of Kelli5377

Kelli5377

Thanks Drew!!!!! It doesn't do that on my mac..... Spam/junk goes to spam/junk folder.... So its just an iOS thing. I don't even see a junk folder available in the advanced settings. I thought maybe it was an issue like the "trash" thing, so i went to advanced settings. I'm using IO7..... Not sure is this in an issue with older iOS software.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Thanks for the info. I will check it out.
Photo of Kelli5377

Kelli5377

Did figure something out... sorta. When you open the email, you can put it into the junk folder ( but it does not mark as junk).... But when you swipe it when you are in the preview section and mark as "junk" it marks it as junk, but leaves it in the inbox, as stated before. Very strange. The old system never behaved this way.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Kelli5377, after doing some researched we now understand this issue. It is a feature where Apple devices create their own set of folders rather than just syncing with the folders on the server.  This must be something new because there are a lot of discussion on the internet about many people having this problem.  Fortunately the fix is pretty simple,. We've created a help topic located here: https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/i_am_unable_to_move_messages_to_the_trash_on_my_ipa...

Photo of Kelli5377

Kelli5377

Yeah, I figured this out on Monday, but forgot to post back. The folder thing has always been there, just now it doesn't automatically sync to the servers. Which is a little strange but oh well.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Correct, For some reason the Apple email clients create their own set of folders. Then if you configure the account as IMAP, you have to do the steps above so that it connects/syncs to the proper folders.
Photo of Kelli5377

Kelli5377

Although this email is better than zimbra. Are you guys ever going to get exchange servers (Microsoft exchange email)? I know it behaves much better (stable) across the board on all platforms.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.