email quota getting ready to max out again for no reason

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

Drew...can't find the thread from a few months ago....but you fixed this problem then but it is happening again.  About to hit the quota max and it's not my emails doing it.  greg@greggofish.com.

thanks in advance
Photo of Greg6549

Greg6549

• 572 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,244 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
H Greg if you go to your profile it should have a copy of all your coms and replies... maybe its still there.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 248,180 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Greg, it does appear to be misreporting from what I can tell. I am working on it.
Photo of Drew N

Hi Greg. Should be fixed now. It is showing about 36MB.
Photo of Michael7617

Michael7617

• 70 Points
How can i archive  my email to keep my mailbox from going over the allotted storage space?
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

I have not had a problem with storage but I do like to keep everything neat and tidy and so I created a folder on my main ISP email site, named it website Correspondence andthen forward important emails I wish to keep to my ISP email address and store away. Then I delete them from my OX email.
Photo of Greg6549

Greg6549

This problem is happening again (3rd time)  Every time you clear it out it lasts awhile then fills right back up.  Is there anyway to see what the cause is so we can stop it at the source?  Or maybe raise the quota to a billion so it doesn't happen again??  Thanks in advance.....Greg
Photo of Drew N

• 247,954 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I am looking in to it again. Sorry for the trouble.
Photo of Greg6549

Greg6549

thanks....I got the email below but the problem is the only sent folder I can see has 401 emails and no where near 373mb.  The biggest two emails in there are 2.2 and 1.24mb's.....the rest are all under that.  Plus, after it was cleared the last time, it jumped up way faster than I am using it.

I have noticed that 'Sent' folder of the mailbox greg@greggofish.com has 373MB of emails. Following are the size of the folders inside the mailbox.

40k Inbox
16K     .2015 Reservations140K    .2015 Reservations.GC
28K     .C20K     .Drafts
16K     .Drafts.Bills
16K     .Seminar
373M    .Sent
9.8M    .Sent Items
16K     .Spam
15M     .Technical stuff
1.1M    .Trash

Please delete all the unwanted emails and check the mailbox size.

Please do not reply to this email, this is an unattended mailbox.

Sincerely,
The Homestead Websites Team
http://www.homestead.com/

Need help?: Get help 24x7 from our Homestead Community. Sign in to your account and click "Help" then "View Help" in the upper right of the window.
Photo of Drew N

I am sorry, I am trying again to get it fixed correctly.
Photo of Greg6549

Greg6549

no problem...I always appreciate your help!
Photo of Drew N

Hi Greg, there was an issue with it. Messages that are very large were not visible for some reason. If you look at the Sent Items folder under unified mail, there are a load of very large emails. Remove them and empty the trash. Then log out and in again and see if the quote is fixed.
Photo of Greg6549

Greg6549

accidentally deleted all of them and it worked, but that's gonna hurt...I could have used a lot of them.

Not sure why the unified email thing is even there...it's new

anyway, thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
Photo of Drew N

Unified mail is if you have your webmail checking another email address it shows all email in there. You can turn it off in settings > E-mail > E-mail accounts. Uncheck the box.

If you need to, I can restore the mail, but you would then have to delete the large ones again. Just tell me what time you deleted them and I will find a restore point prior to that time.
Photo of Greg6549

Greg6549

that would be awesome...I did it about 30 min. ago
Photo of Drew N

Take a look now. The box is showing at about 400mb again. You will need to delete the large ones from the sent folder. You can sort by size on the top right to make it easier
Photo of Greg6549

Greg6549

I saw them show back up and after looking decided to just delete them again, I did, but this time the quota didn't change.  Worked great last time.  Once we get it to work again, I will go in to settings and uncheck the unified mail box.
Photo of Drew N

Did you log out of email and back in again after deleting the messages?
Photo of Greg6549

Greg6549

yes....no emails to be found.  I deleted them and they are gone but quota same...so they are hiding somewhere
Photo of Drew N

Sorry. I am back at it. I will get this figured out.
Photo of Greg6549

Greg6549

Got this email this AM and logged out/in and saw no change.  Email asks me to verify it works but also say's don't reply.  So.....figured I would add it here.  Thanks.

Hello,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. I have removed the emails from the sent folder of the mailbox greg@greggofish.com and the disk quota is set fine. Please verify from your end.

Please do not reply to this email, this is an unattended mailbox.

Sincerely,

The Homestead Websites Team

http://www.homestead.com/

Need help?: Get help 24x7 from our Homestead Community. Sign in to your account and click "Help" then "View Help" in the upper right of the window.
Photo of Drew N

Sorry. I have put this in new hands to get it resolved correctly since the normal way is not working for you. There is something with this box.
Photo of Drew N

Greg, this should be correct now. I am sorry for the delay and hope they actually fixed the box this time, but if you see this again, definitely let me know.
Photo of Greg6549

Greg6549

OK...thanks a lot for the help.  Looks great.
Photo of Drew N

Happy to hear it.
Photo of Nate5605

Nate5605

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I have  the same issue.

Drew, can you please look into my account?

Nate

Photo of Drew N

Nate, I see quite a few large messages in your inbox. You have a folder called "Sent" which has big attachments. You also have a folder called "Junk" where ther are nearly 1200 messages. Try deleting some of the huge file attachment messages and log out then in again. If that doesn't clear space, then let us know.
Photo of Nate5605

Nate5605

Drew,

Can you tell me which email account you are looking at? I don't see a junk folder.

Do I need to delete emails in my outlook?

Nate

Photo of Drew N

Nate, I was looking at nate@zapconplumbing.com. How is your Outlook configured? as POP or IMAP? Usually it is easiest to log into Webmail and delete the messages there, then empty the trash.
Photo of Nate5605

Nate5605

Drew,

When I open my web mail through the open exchange server, all my folders show to be empty, and there is no junk folder. Should I be accessing my account somewhere else? My outlook is POP.

Photo of Nate5605

Nate5605

Just logged out. logged into homestead, then logged in to mail. All folders including trash still show empty. Quota is at 499.99 of 500mb.

Not sure why I can't see the old emails on my end.

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

HI Nate, Seen you post this issue a few times so had a long look through my OX email, deleted all emails in my folder and now show all emails gone.see pic

I have used Outlook express in the pasts and Outlook and did have some issues. I had selected delet originals from server but it didnt. Likewise with spam, drafts and sent folder. They were all saved on my mail server.. This was a few years ago when I stopped using it and access email direct.  Emails I needed to keep I copy and pasted into  word doc and saved them that way with contact details.  Just a thought that MAYBE Outlook is causing a problem. Not sure what folder Drew can see. A mystery without a doubt hope it gets resolved once and for all for you. Not in my email now but is there any settings to make them "Hidden" the same as computer files?  Just logged back into OX and couldn't find anything in settings etc. Sorry
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Nate, they are sub folders under your inbox. Click the little arrow to the left of inbox and you will see the folders.
Photo of Nate5605

Nate5605

Drew,

When I opened my webmail today, all those sub folders were visable, and I was able to delete the emails. I can't believe I overlooked something so simple...

Thanks!

And thanks to Brian for his help as well.

Nate

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Your welcome Nate and dont worry, I have spent an hour trying to access an email I have had for years only to realise I was putting in the wrong username...Dho!!!
Photo of Drew N

Happy to hear it!
Photo of Peter5955

Peter5955

• 60 Points
I have the same issue with my email peter.tang@elefantindustries.com

With IMAP outlook settings, the overall size is about 36MB only. However, when I login webmail, it's 328MB. From time to time I got the email telling me I'm reaching 80% quota limit. Please help!
Photo of Drew N

I logged in and looked around. You may not have subscribed to all the folder in Outlook. There are numerous sub folders under the Inbox. One of them had nearly 50MB in just 2 emails. Log in to Webmail and check all these folders as well.
Photo of Greg6549

Greg6549

Hey Drew,

So it is doing it again but I figured out why it is happening...maybe that will help to fix it.

I take pictures on my phone and then email them to myself using the mymail app.  When I have copied the pics to my desktop and delete the email containing the pics and then clear the trash, the email does disappear but the quota hike stays the same.  So, they are in a folder somewhere I cannot see apparently.  
Photo of Drew N

I'm showing it about 275mb used right now. I'm having someone look again. I will add the part about the images to see if that helps.
Photo of Todd6908

Todd6908

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Same issue. Clear boxes, quota about to max out.
Photo of Drew N

Todd, are you using a program like Outlook or a phone to check mail? If so something must be wrong in your configuration as it is really deleting many messages. Log in to Webmail and you will see over 2500 messages, many of which have a strikethrough, like they should be deleted, but are not. Delete every thing you can there and see what the quota shows you.
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

As Drews has said it will come down to a settings issue. Just to highlight something you may already know, using Outlook or other email sync programme requires a setting to be "remove deleted items from server" this means as you delete the email on your phone, outlook etc they will be deleted in the original email. With programes like outlook it also depends on how you set it up. POP mail will have the option to delet on server, IMAP however allows you to access mail from different devices but does not delete emails from server..
Photo of Nancy2676

Nancy2676

• 258 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Drew, I too am still showing 279.05mb in my email after deleted entire inbox, spam, and trash..... help?
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

I'm looking into this for you Nancy.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.