effect upon search engine ranking of naming pages in 2 languages, i.e. naming a page to show a translation in a language other than English?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

What effect upon SEO/search engine ranking would naming my pages in Spanish and English have- for example: http://www.aboriginalartsllc.com/hand...? Would changing this page name to http://www.aboriginalartsllc.com/hand..., (for Google USA/English speaking searchers) have a positive effect upon search engine ranking. Note: both the Spanish and the English translations of "handcrafted bracelets" are, in fact, bonifide keywords. In the larger picture, how important is page naming in the overall scheme of search engine ranking?
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

• 784 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Page names are relatively important. Optimizing a website is like putting together a 200 piece puzzle and page names are just one of the pieces. By themselves they don't really matter but if you do a quality job naming pages, crafting appropriate page titles, descriptions, page content, etc. it all starts to add up. Having a site in two different languages will not likely cause you any problems, It will most likely help overall traffic. However only Google really knows the impact, but they are very secretive about their algorithm.
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

• 784 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Yes, offering pages in more than one language helps. And yes, I feel sure that it's the effect of all the steps of SEO, and not any one of them, that may add up to a high page ranking.

My question, however, refers to the use of page names in two languages: Could I derail my overall page optimization efforts by, for example, naming an otherwise well optimized page in such a way that search engine spiders identify some anomaly between my page name, and the content of my page? For example, if I have done good keyword research and optimized a page accordingly, providing good content, interspersed with a proper percentage of keywords- but in addition to naming the page (itself) with the English keyword for which it is optimized, I (also) included the Spanish translation of that keyword: for example:

www.aboriginalartsllc.com/handmade bracelets

versus

www.aboriginalartsllc.com/handmade-br...

Okay, so only Google knows their algorithm. Anyway, do you think that the difference between these two page names would be significant to the optimization of a single page?

Certainly, if I were repeating all the steps of your publication "SEO 101" (as I have done), I would opt for the simplest possible page name, that is, I would opt for www.aboriginalartsllc.com/handmade-br..., and not www.aboriginalartsllc.com/handmade-br....

Now, not having achieved the SEO results I hoped for, I am wanting to uncover the reasons- what have I left out... what should be changed... is it something beyond my control, such as the fact that sitebuilder's (in general) generate code that is not as proper as individually, professionally designed sites... is there something else about homestead sites that search engine spiders do not like?

I know that I lack back-links, and that they can be important. However, I see sites that are new, founded in 2013, at the top of organic search results, such as www.wayuutribe.com; they are not extensively linked, and they have little domain authority- someone said they were using social media effectively-- just exactly how do you do that?

Can you provide links to excellent how-to discussions for using social media pages such as FB and Twitter?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Regarding the page names in two languages, I honestly do not know. Google does not disclose those types of details.

Google does admit they like sites that are organized and have clean code, but there's really know way to tell the impact of using a tool like Homestead SiteBuilder or any other site builder program. The best advice I can give would be to look at all the articles here: http://www.homestead.com/blog#.Uvv5so...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.