edit header title and description for each product

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive. If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it. You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

Good Morning Drew and Mike...Barbara again :) You have both been so helpful to me so far since the switch over. Thank you in advance for helping again. Here's my issue. When I pull up a live page and I look at the source code (right click) the page title and description and keywords are not what they need to be to help particular items show in search. For example, when i google quilters dream wool batting i don't show up til like page 9 even though my page was well optimized i felt. until i looked at other sites source codes and that explained a lot. How can I make each product page have the correct page title, description and keywords in the header. I tried changing some code using the design mode after reading in the big commerce manual that the design mode will edit the page you are viewing, but that was not the case. I ended up editing the header for every page and had to redo that...can you help? or have I been confusing??

thanks again, barb
Photo of Barbara9750

Barbara9750

• 552 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,796 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Barbara9750,

I did that Google search and got you on page 5 out of more than 14,000 results, so it's not bad, but maybe we can find a way to make it better. Are you speaking of product pages? or pages you added?

Drew
Photo of Barbara9750

Barbara9750

Hi Drew- I was referring to product pages.. I have tried editing the titles and meta descrp., and keywords under other details section, but that doesn't change anything for the quilt battings..Does it have anything to do with the structure of those items..i.e. one product with options?

looking forward to any help :)

barb
Photo of Barbara9750

Barbara9750

Hi again Drew, In an effort to help clarify...the header remains the same on all my pages (unlike on other sites), but with the exception of the quilters dream battings (true for entire category) all the pages have a section that looks like the one below-I below this helps drive them in search...

the batting pages do not have this section of code and I cannot figure out why or where to add it..

thanks again

barb
Photo of Barbara9750

Barbara9750

forget that last comment about the code not being there..it is on the actual product page, it's the category page it isn't on..
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You are changing in the right place. Whendid you make the changes? Google will not immediately update. There needs to be another index of your site.

Drew
Photo of Barbara9750

Barbara9750

Hi Drew, Maybe I was asking the wrong question. According to Google Webmaster tools I have over 300 duplicate title tags which is really hurting my ranking..all of my pages have the exact same title tag in the header. The canonical tag is specific to each page...What am I doing wrong? I have edited every product in the other detail page..

any ideas?

Barb
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Barbara9750,

Without logging in, I can't say for sure, but it looks like someone hard coded the title tag.  Have you done any HTML editing of the template pages, specifically the HTMLhead.html. Go there and look for the title tag. It should be a variable, <title>%%Page.WindowTitle%%</title>

Drew
Photo of Barbara9750

Barbara9750

Hi Drew, In an effort to fix a previous issue that's exactly what I did...I fixed that and the titles are fine :) Can you point me to the correct coding string for the meta description..I changed that too :(
Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 42,506 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Good morning Barbara9750,

That would be the meta description. It's also in the HTMLhead.html. It should look like this,

<meta name="description" content="%%Page.MetaDescription%%" />

Drew

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.