It would be great to have subcategories in Simple Store

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

I need to be able to sub-categorize my items.
An example would be:

Little Italy
-pizza
--cheese
-- pepperoni
-calzone
--cheese

Does anyone know if I can do this??
Photo of elitedeliveryncllc

elitedeliveryncllc

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • confused and anxious

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

• 28,258 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi elitedeliveryncllc,

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately the SimpleStore doesn't have the capability of having subcategories. However it is a great idea. I've turned your question into an idea to see how many other people would like to see this functionality. I've also passed this on to our product and development team to further look into having this functionality.

For that functionaly, you could take a look at our full ecommerce platform call Storefront. That platform does allow for categories and subcategories. If you like I could send you some examples so you could take a look.

Thanks!

Chris

elitedeliveryncllc

I do have ecommerce, but I guess it is not full ecommerce. Thank you Chris! I will try switching to see if it fits my needs. I have spent 5 weeks building this website and I wanted to add online ordering. If I can not find the feature I need it will be a great let down. I hope the full ecommerce will solve the issue!
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi elitedeliveryncllc,

Sorry for the inconvenience. If you like I'd be more than happy to add the Storefront platform to your account so you can try it out free for 30 days. It is definitely a lot more advanced compared to the Simple Store and therefor will take a little bit more time getting used to. Let me know and I can apply the proper credits.

Thanks!

Chris

elitedeliveryncllc

I would love that! Thank you

elitedeliveryncllc

I upgraded to Storefront, but I am still paying for Simple Store. Do I need both? If not instead of adding storefront, can you deduct the simple store monthly charge.

Thank you so much by the way! You have been amazingly helpful!
Photo of danamarie6377

danamarie6377

• 70 Points
Would you recommend the Storefront over the Simple Store? Any advice?
I can't even get the website down.
Thank you
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Elitedeliveryncllc,

How's this sound. We can leave everything on your account for now, but push out the billing for 30 days. This gives you time to play with the Storefront and if for any reason it just isn't working for you, you still have the Simple Store with all your products. In a few weeks once you decide which platform you prefer, we can then remove the other package so you aren't paying for both.

Thanks!

Chris
Photo of danamarie6377

danamarie6377

• 70 Points
I am only a beginner, but I have looked at this Website for hours, and I think that I am really for interested in the Simple Store or the Storefront. I am wanting to
sell my products with something to help me in that way.
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi danamarie,

Welcome to the Community!

A couple questions to see which product may be best for you.

How many products are you selling?
Do you need subcategories?
Do you know any html?

The SimpleStore is definitely easier to use, but the Storefront comes with a lot more ecommerce features.

Please let me know and I'd be more than happy to set you up with a trial to test them out.

Thanks!

Chris
Photo of Wil2545

Wil2545

• 1,246 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hello Chris!  I realize this thread is 3 years old...  I've been with Homestead for a long time now and have several websites.  I'm starting a new one and I need to integrate online ordering.  Were there some example websites I could take a look at first hand?  I am building a website that allows customers to order online and upon checkout be able to choose delivery options (that I can customize, because we will be setting up time windows for delivering our products right to our customers).  Also, can customers make an account so that they will have an easier checkout if they want to reorder something regularly?  I really appreciate any example sites if possible.  Thank you!
Photo of William S

William S

• 18,878 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

We do have a couple example websites for both of our stores. The example Storefront is here, and is a demo of one of the many templates of the store. Not every feature is on display in the demo, but it is a fairly complete site. Customers do have the ability to create a log in when making a purchase and can see their previous orders and their order status. An example of our SimpleStore was provided by a member of our community, kountrykrafts.net.
Photo of Wil2545

Wil2545

Hi William!

Thank you for the reply!  Was there another example site for the simplestore?  The kraft one is really wonky...the next button doesn't work and there's no pictures of the products?  Thank you!
Photo of William S

William S

Sure, Found another example of a customers site. With pictures!

http://www.doggonebows.net/~shop/main.html
Photo of Wil2545

Wil2545

Hi!  Thanks so much for the link.  Hmm...  the checkout page, is it fully customizable? I attached a picture.  For instance, my business is organic juices made on order (online) and we deliver to the customer's house.  So am I able to re create that checkout information form completely so it can say "delivery information" and customers can be able to click and choose from a set of delivery time windows or if they'd like to pick up.  Also, is paypal the only merchant I can use?  Thank you so much!!
Photo of William S

William S

With our simple store, you would not be able to customize this screen, or change it to have delivery time windows. You can accomplish this with our Storefront feature though. Simple Store has only Transfirst and PayPal as supported merchants. Storefront has 30+ available merchants.
Photo of Wil2545

Wil2545

Hmm, so its probably storefront that I'm looking at then...  one other question was if there is an option to input say a minimum order amount of $40?  So a customer can't put an order through unless they place $40 worth of product in the cart.  Additionally, is there an option to input if a customer spends say $70 in their cart, they get free delivery.

Specifically what I want to do is require customers to have $40 worth of product in their cart as a minimum, however they still need to pay a $5 delivery flat fee.  If they spend $70 in their cart, then the delivery fee is waived.  I hope that makes sense!  Thank you again!
Photo of William S

William S

Yes, that makes sense and you would be able to do all of that with the Storefront.
Photo of Wil2545

Wil2545

I already purchased a domain for my new site (that I'm planning on using storefront for when I get my business details organized).  How does storefront work... Do I need to already have a site built and then add storefront (I think I saw that simplestore looks like a link that you place in the navigation bar, is storefront the same thing or is it an entirely different thing)?  Thank you!
Photo of William S

William S

Storefront is a completely different website platform. You would log into a separate area and build a new website. This can be your main website, or you can use this as the store section of your main website. We can help with your domain when that time comes.
Photo of Wil2545

Wil2545

Cool!  Is it possible to get set up for a trial?  Also, would the $30 package have all the full software features?  How should I go forward with this?  Thank you again.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 262,524 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately, we do not have a trial with Storefront. The $30 package has most of the features, but not all. The main one is called the abandoned cart saver. This will allow you to automatically send an email to people that abandon cart without checking out. This can help to increase your conversion rates
Photo of Wil2545

Wil2545

Hey drew, hmm the most important features i would need are the ones i mentioned above:
- ability to customize checkout page (instead of asking for the customers shipping info, i need to ask for their delivery info because we will be delivering our juice to the customer)
- we're currently only delivering on mondays and thursdays, can i have an option during checkout for the customer to choose which delivery day they want?
- ability to set a $40 spending minimum and automatically adds $5 delivery fee, but spend $70 and delivery is free
- i can set an automatic 13% ontario tax on the order
- ability to have coupon codes inputted upon check out

Would the $30 package have those features? Im looking forward to getting started :) thank you for your time and help!
Photo of Drew N

Customization can be done. Sometimes it is within the program manager,
but sometimes it would require finding and editing the code, which is
allowed. The shipping/delivery section is quite extensive and can be
configured to do a great many things. If it would work exactly as you
want, I am not quite sure at this point, but I suspect you can get it to
do what you want. Is there anything else about shipping that you
require? Do you only deliver? I can check to make sure.

Taxes should be configurable for both PST and GST ff required and coupon codes are supported.

Photo of Wil2545

Wil2545

Hey drew, we would only deliver at this time because the juices are unpasturized and the shelf life is only 4 days. So we make the juice on order (when someone orders online) and ideally id like the checkout page to have an option where the customer can pick their delivery dat of either monday or thursday and then input their delivery address,etc. i also need to be able to set an$40 order minimum plus $5 delivery fee and if customers spend $70 delivery is free.
Photo of Drew N

Ok. I will get confirmation on that. It likely won't be until Monday though. Is that ok?
Photo of Wil2545

Wil2545

Of course! Thanks drew! Im happy ur still helping us out especially after all the craziness from last Christmas hehe :p
Photo of Drew N

I'm here. I think I'm the only one that wants to work weekends.
Photo of Wil2545

Wil2545

Hey Drew!  Hope you had a great weekend!  Any word by chance on the storefront features?  Looking forward to getting started :)  Really hoping the $30 package will do cause I'm just starting out this new project :S
Photo of Drew N

Unfortunately, it looks like this delivery issue may require some significant customization via the code. I am checking to see if there may be a 3rd party application that can make it easier.
Photo of Drew N

If you aren't an expert coder, then maybe you could ask here if someone would be able to do it for you. We are not recommending them, just a site we came across while searching. There may be more as well.
Photo of Wil2545

Wil2545

Hmm, is there a number I can reach you at Drew?  I think I may be able to explain easier on the phone.  The checkout page can be like the one above (the picture) but instead of it saying "shipping information" I need it to say "delivery information."  moreover you know how the site builder has an option to create a form where customers can select options, would I be able to just simply add that into the checkout screen?  I've attached a picture, but it'll still be easier to clarify on the phone lol...
Photo of Wil2545

Wil2545

ya Lol I'm not an expert coder haha
Photo of Drew N

I work exclusively in the community and social media, unfortunately I don't have a phone log in. I am sure we can easily change the wording, it is the function that would be more difficult. Sitebuilder and Storefront are 2 unrelated programs. Storefront does allow for adding some forms, but not at checkout. That would likely need to be added via code. It should be possible, but it would require customization.
Photo of Wil2545

Wil2545

Hmm ok.  I'd really like to try it, I'm just concerned of signing up for it and finding out it won't work :S
Photo of Drew N

I do understand the concern. Perhaps do some Googling and try the 3rd party freelance coders to see if it can be done and how much it would cost. Maybe that would help the decision
Photo of Wil2545

Wil2545

Would I be able to add text easily without coding to the checkout page at all?  I'm thinking maybe I'll just have a disclaimer for customer saying that we only deliver tues and fri and if their order is placed before 5pm the previous day, their order will be processed for the soonest delivery day...  lol does that make sense?
Photo of Drew N

That could work. You may find a number of ways to make it suitable to your needs. The checkout page text will almost definitely need to be edited in the code, but simple text changes we should be able to assist with. When changing function, we can't involve ourselves.

Photo of Wil2545

Wil2545

okay!  I'd like to give it a try.  How does it work in terms of signing up and payment?  I already purchased a domain through homestead a while back.  I'm currently on a 6 month plan for my other sites, but can i get storefront monthly just in case (am i able to cancel?)  thank you!!
Photo of Drew N

We can't have different billing cycles on our system. We have no contract on Storefront, so you may cancel whenever you wish and we do pro rate a refund. You can also switch the account to a monthly cycle if you want to for the time being.

Keep in mind that phone representatives are not really supposed to assist with coding, so if you have coding questions, please ask them here in the community.
Photo of Wil2545

Wil2545

okay cool, should I call in to get set up and work out billing?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.