E-mail Notifications on BigCommerce

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Currently BC is set up to forward Order Confirmations to Admin - is there a way to also forward a copy of Shipping Notifications etc to Admin or other staff e-mails?

Since the change (just a couple weeks), I have received more notices from customers that they have either not received their Order Confirmation and/or Shipping Confirmation. I suspect it could be settings on their side as these notification e-mails are now sent in HTML rather than text (as in ProStores) - but at least if I have a copy on file, I can more easily forward it. (does not appear to be my e-mail settings as they are receiving my personal response via company/domain e-mail address.

One customer received the Order Confirmation, but not the Shipping Confirmation and he did not find it in 'junk/spam'.

Anyway, is there a way of forwarding a copy to us (or even adding as 'bcc')?

Thanks!
Photo of S

S

• 6,760 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I am researching this.

Drew
Photo of S

S

Thanks so much, Drew. I did search through the topics here as well as help on BC but could not find anything (not to say it isn't there...lol).

Thanks again!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Sure. I will let you know when I figure it out.

Drew
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,698 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Sally, Drew did research this and found that: "Only order information is sent to the store owner. Currently there is no way to have shipping emails sent to the store owner."
Photo of S

S

Mike / Drew -

Thanks for the update (needless to say, not what I was hoping to hear). I suspect there is also no way to have e-mail notices sent via 'text' rather than 'html'? I actually cannot remember an 'order or shipping notice' not being received by a customer before (except when they mis-typed their e-mail address - but then I received a 'non-delivery' notice and knew something was wrong.

Any suggestions on how to work around this? I notice there are settings 'Store Settings>Miscellaneous' that have SMTP server settings for e-mail - do we need to do anything there? It is currently set at 'default' but is that for BC customers or HS customers?

Thanks
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

There is a way to set up order notifications via text. Click here: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

For the SMTP settings, you'll want to leave it set to the default, since your email is through Homestead.
Photo of S

S

Thanks for the clarification on SMTP - but I think we're on different pages regarding 'text' - the set up you are referencing is 'mobile text' notification, correct? I was referring to 'the old fashion way' where the notification sent to Customers were in 'text format' rather than (pretty) HTML format.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Ooops! sorry I misunderstood. Thanks for explaining. Unfortunately there's not a setting to change the format.

Mike
Photo of S

S

No worries.....Thanks!
Photo of S

S

Just a further note on this subject. I received another customer inquiry this week about not receiving a Shipping Notice. Here is the deal on this subject....I have received more Customer Inquiries about this (since the switch on December 31st) than I have in probably two years. In fact, I cannot even recall having an issue (except when someone misspelled their own e-mail address which I was able to observe when the Shipping Notice sent was returned to me).

In the instances since the switch, it is not an error in their e-mail address (their inquiry matched the e-mail on the Order) and it also happens to both Customers who have created an account as well as checkout as guest.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Thanks Sally, I will contact Bigcommerce and see if we can see what is happening. It is only shipping notices? They do receive the order conformation and any other mail that you have set to send?

Drew
Photo of S

S

Good morning, Drew -

To the best of my observation, it has only been the Shipping and if it only happened once, there are so many reasons why it could be isolated (but now there are too many instances...imho).

I have figured out that certain functions (like message to Customer only works if the Order was placed by a registered Customer rather than guest. But as mentioned, the Shipping Notice inquiry has happened for both Registered and Guest.

Thanks so much!

(Happy puppy bowl!)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Ok. I am going to send you an email today, asking for a couple of specific orders. This will help us track if and where it went.

Drew
Photo of S

S

Sent it!

Thanks,
Sally
Photo of S

S

Drew -

I had forgotten until this morning but Order #1433 (in the e-mail sent) also claimed not to have received the Order Confirmation - and in all fairness, on this one I thought it was possible the e-mail was intercepted by the Company Server. I had received the copy to Admin so did not think too much of it (on the other hand, many customers may not think to contact us until they haven't received a shipping notice so therefore, I really do not know if there has been a problem with the Order Confirmations as well.)
Photo of S

S

Hey Drew -

I called BC direct today and thought I would update the post here. There unfortunately was no specific answer regarding this. The BC Rep did a test and of course it worked so I guess we will just wait and see (did not want you to double up - but still unexplainable).
Photo of S

S

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Order Invoice E-mails Sent do not reflect changes made to Templates.

Prior to opening the BC store for business (Dec 31), I removed the 'powered by' footer and customized the dialog. All my Order Confirmation E-mails have reflected that change until February 1st. It has reverted back to 'powered by....'. I went into the snippet (emailfooter) this morning and it still shows the text exactly as I had changed it.

2nd - I further added some text to the Order Notification E-mail (just prior to Feb 1st) and that dialog appeared on Order Invoice E-mail as it should until it also disappeared as of Feb 1st but still shows the changes I have made in the template (invoice_email.html)

This is really unacceptable - everything here is a reflection of our business and professionalism - I cannot have a customer seeing 'open your free website' on Orders - it is bad enough they think maintaining a website is 'easy peasy' let alone 'free'. The message that is now missing is all my contact information - my customers should be able to contact me (not bigcommerce) if they have an issue or see an error in their Invoice.

This situation just emphasizes my concern over not receiving a copy of the Shipping Notice that is sent to Customers (I don't even understand why that is not done). I am responsible for that Shipment and have always monitored them through my copy of the Shipping Notice (and that 'hard copy' is further documentation should there ever be an issue with either the shipping agent or credit card company).

Receiving a copy of the Shipping Notice (from a 'back end' business perspective) is probably more critical than receiving a copy of the Order (unless, of course, someone else is doing the Shipping - then they are maintaining the records).

Your assistance on this subject is greatly appreciated,
Sally

Additional Note: The variance in text/dialog is evident in these Invoice #'s -
#1442 (proper footer);
#1443 (proper footer plus added dialog);
#1452 (all changes GONE) - but still show in associated templates
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Sally, It looks like Drew is already working on this. Can you please keep related posts in the same thread, as it's more efficient for us to answer everyone's questions that way. Thanks
Photo of S

S

Mike -

I created a NEW post because they are actually two different issues. Drew is working on why Customers are NOT receiving Shipping e-mail notifications and this New Topic which is now merged actually deals with what has been changed in the templates.

Please fully read the post - because I don't want this to get lost in the shuffle. My Template shows one dialog and what the system has sent is different.

:)
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sorry for the confustion. We'll be happy to look into this.  If it helps for this issue, we have set up a support line just for some of the more complex Bigcommerce issues. If you call the number on the following page, it will probably be faster: https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/i_need_live_support_for_my_bigcommerce_storefront_w...

Photo of S

S

Mike -

With all due respect, imho this is a 'system issue' not a process issue (unless you are saying this phone # goes directly to BC tech support?) Based on what Drew asked in the previous issue, I have diligently itemized the Invoice #'s showing a trail of changes (all within a couple days) which I thought explained the issues well to be investigated.

This is a serious post with a serious issue and please it should not be lost in the 'shuffle' both for my records and if someone else is also experiencing the problem.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

This is why I would like you to call that number. The agents there are specifically trained to handle this type of issue.
Photo of S

S

I called and BC was extremely helpful - thank you, Mike - I did not realize it was a direct #.

Anyway, the above was 'an unexpected consequence' of an upgrade and corrected by changing the templates for Mobile (because the Orders in question were placed from Mobile devices.

Sally
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Ah.. thanks for the feedback. I'm glad they could help!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.