Duplicate website for different languages

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: 7 days of inactivity

I would like to have a website in two different languages (Dutch and English). I suppose the best way to do this is to make the site in one langue and then duplicate the website. Only the text changes, but the lay-out-design, pictures and site navigation will be the same. How can I duplicate the website? Or is there a better way to make a website with two (or more) languages?
Thanks in advance for your answers and help!
Photo of Gaby den Held

Gaby den Held

• 512 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 47,896 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

I suppose it depends on whether you need separate domains for separate languages. If you do, then they would need to be individual sites. Unfortunately, Website Builder sites cannot be duplicated, so the second site would just need to be rebuilt to look like the first.

If you do not need separate domain names, you can do this all on one builder. Create a landing page that asks which language the person would like to use, then create two "Home" pages, one for English and one for Dutch. Use buttons to create a separate navigation menu for each language. You'll be able to create a page in English, then duplicate the page and change the text to Dutch. Does that make sense?
Photo of Gaby den Held

Gaby den Held

Thanks Elyzabeth, that makes perfect sense! I try the one builder option. Greetings, Gaby den Held
(Edited)
Photo of Gaby den Held

Gaby den Held

Trying now to make it work, but unfortunately, it's not that simple. I wanted to make a menu in the header for the English and the Dutch site, but both menu's keep appearing on all pages. It's a total chaos. How can I make a (mobile friendly) menu only for the Dutch pages and a menu only for the English pages? Thanks for all the help in advance. I think your answer would help more people who want to make a website with different languages.

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 47,896 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes, that is why I recommended using buttons for the navigation menu. Unfortunately, Website Builder can only create one navigation menu.
If you have too many pages for buttons to work on mobile, you can look for a 3rd party HTML that provides a menu like that. Another option is to find code to put a Google Translate option on your site to switch from English to Dutch.
Photo of Gaby den Held

Gaby den Held

Oh, that's a pity. Because you definately need more than one navigation menu when you make a multiple language website. I also tried the buttons, but the result doesn't look very professional and buttons also keep appearing on all pages when they are placed in the header. Google translation isn't a real solution, and the 3rd part HTML isn't either. I have to make a whole new website from scratch I'm afraid :-(. Well, anyway, thanks for your help so far.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.