Domain Forwarding Question

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

I know how to point a domain that I own to a specific site on the Domains page in the Homestead dashboard, but what I'd like to do is point a domain to a specific PAGE on a site.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is make editing less time consuming by avoiding switching sites.  

If I were able to essentially house my sites under one "master" domain and then point each individual site domain to a particular page that is designed specifically for that site, based on previous experience forwarding domains with Homestead, the sites should still appear to people that they are looking at the domain they typed in, even though it's being forwarded.

Make sense?

Is this something Support can help with?

Thanks.
Photo of Joshua2161

Joshua2161

• 3,994 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
  • ?? inquisitive

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I suppose I am a little confused. If a domain is going to a separate site then you should be able to point as normal. Homestead does not offer domain forwarding as it is not a method preferred by search engines.
Photo of Carol Berg

Carol Berg

• 462 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I am confused as well. Do you want to link your website to another website. Or do you want to link your website to a specific page on another website? If you want to do the second, create an anchor link on the page you want your website and include it at the end of the url on your computer.

You will find creating anchor links on the same page as the other links. If this is not what you want, will you please restate your question. 

I find it difficult to explain a website problem in writing. I also find it difficult to answer!
Photo of Joshua2161

Joshua2161

When someone types in corunnanow.com I want it to bring up the page durandnow.com/corunna.html.

I may have used the wrong terminology..sorry.

Currently, in the "Domains" section of Homestead, I can tell the domain corunnanow.com to point to the site durandnow.com, but it defaults to the "index" page.  I want it to go to a specific page that is not the index page. 

Make sense?
Photo of Joshua2161

Joshua2161

PS - This is just hypothetical... don't actually do it yet.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
a domain always points to index. Unfortunately we can't change that. It might be possible using the subdomain option to redirect the www. to the page, but if they didn't use www it would go to the original domain. Let me ponder this for a bit longer.
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Never tried Joshua but the first obstacle you will have is that all websites MUST have an Index Page as the home Page. Now, as  Carol mentioned you can redirect a visitor to your Home page to another specific page by links etc but you seem to be asking, if somone types in a specific page title to be directed there? Where would this person type in the name, say corunnanow.com, would they by typing it as a URL, WWW.corunnanow.com and you want them to be sent to durandnow.com. IF this is the case then you could purchase the domain name durandnow.com and point as required. Thats the only way I can think of. 
Photo of Joshua2161

Joshua2161

The whole thing I'm going after is avoiding duplicate work.  

I can copy and paste content/elements from one page to another within the same site but I can't do it from site to site.  I have multiple sites that share some of the same content but each site still needs to have its own identity.

So I'm exploring the possibility of actually housing all my sites inside one single site, but having their respective domains point to specific pages within the site.

If you have a better suggestion, I'm all ears!

I work with some sites where the shells are static but the page content can simply be shared from site to site with the press of a button.  ("Crossposting" in Wordpress.)
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Ahhh, now I get your drift...Does each site have its own domain or are youthinking, (I believe) of pointing to that pages particular URL..? I dont have an answer for you but its a very interesting question and I will follow the thread with interest. ( and have a deep think in the meantime).. HOw many websites are we talking about?
Photo of Joshua2161

Joshua2161

Currently, 5 sites.  I already have the domains and the sites already exist.  But they are all independent of each other.  corunnanow.com, owossonow.com, perrypulse.com, durandnow.com, upshia.com.  

What I want is for a visitor to type in www.corunnanow.com (with or without www) and actually have it load durandnow.com/corunna. Or to type www.perrypulse.com and have it load durandnow.com/perry.  www.upshia.com would go to durandnow.com/upshia... etc...
Photo of Carol Berg

Carol Berg

Can you do that on software other than the Homestead editor? I have tried to figure out how to do that, but I cannot do it. I think I understand what you want. For example, if I type in:  www.wabashfirstumc.org, you might want it to open up at: www.wabashfirstumc.org/sermon_player.html   Is that correct? If so, I cannot get mine to do that. I can link the first to the second only from the index page. 
(Edited)
Photo of Joshua2161

Joshua2161

Basically, yes.  Same thing.
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

OK ...currently your home page is corunnanow.com..... if you open durandnow.com/corunna. and save it as durandnow.com, could you then point the domain name corunnanow to that page. Would that work?
(Edited)
Photo of Carol Berg

Carol Berg

What would happen if you saved the entire second website as a file? Could you download it to the first website and link through to it that way? Can this be done on other software?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.