Dissatisfaction with Homestead

• Problem
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving inactive content

I have been a client of Homestead for at least ten years and had several sites listed but I am so dissatisfied lately that I have begun to search for a new web site host.  I have NEVER been able to download SiteBuilder Plus for Windows 10, no help provided from Homestead period. 

How can a company's server be down for since February 5th and this is now February 16 and still be down.  It sounds like this company wants to be out of business because it is damaging my business.  

Anyone else fed up with the poor quality of service from Homestead since they became part of Intuit?
Photo of mark1264

mark1264

• 70 Points

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Lynn1286

Lynn1286, Champion

• 5,070 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Sadly, it's more about the increasing incompatibilty of SiteBuilder with the new and more powerful operating systems.  SiteBuilder has essentially outlived its usefulness, like many other programs & applications that conflict with the newer technology.  I have been with HS for probably 15 years and reluctantly rebuilt the first time to Sitebuilder, then SiteBuilder Plus, then the complete rebuild into Website Builder.  I have rebuilt over a dozen in the past couple of years.  It is a little daunting to learn some of the new tools (more like WHERE they are) but it's not hard, the software works very well on laptop and mobile and I have been very pleased with the results. I really like that it simultaneously builds the mobile site. So I guess my advice would be to look at WebsiteBuilder and take the leap into the new world of how they are supposed to look and work.  Oh, and they are automatically PCI compliant with https security.  Hope that helps. 
Photo of Robert4145

Robert4145

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Don't know what to tell ya. 
Photo of Lynn1286

Lynn1286, Champion

I know it's frustrating and not fun to have to upgrade/change/rebuild. Just take a look at Website Builder through your account (use Add a website) on the log in page to see it.  You can cut & paste most of your content into a new template.  I wish you well.
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 64,822 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
mark1264 You don't need to download SB+ to your computer, it operates from the cloud. When you edit your site, you can choose to edit it with SB+.
Photo of Marsha4449

Marsha4449

• 1,878 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I agree with Lynn1286. I hated the idea of having to update to Website Builder but finally had to take the leap because I was having problems just like you. I must say I am over the moon (yes cliche) with the result. It took me around two days to rebuild and find my way around but sheesh.. the difference from my old SB website to this new one is phenomenal. I wish I could show you my old website to compare, but this is my new one.. www.kwaya.org I've had so much positive feedback about our new site. People say we now look professional. And I did it all myself! There are a couple of great tutorials there to guide you but most of it is intuitive if you've been using SB. I wish you well. If you run into any trouble I found the community here to be very helpful. IAnd I have always had great help from the staff. Good luck. :-)
Photo of Lynn1286

Lynn1286, Champion

Marsha, your site IS very nice and professional looking.  Great job you did!

Photo of Dave2696

Dave2696

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Very nice site Marsha... You have motivated me to look into Website Builder.  I have had my Homestead site...www.CrazyAboutTravel.com for more than 20 years.

Photo of Marsha4449

Marsha4449

• 1,878 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Good on you Dave. My old site looked very similar to yours. With Website Builder I just used one of their templates My site is not my own design from scratch. I just added the text from my old site and put it into the template. The best thing is you can keep your old site live while you work on the new one. When it's ready you just swap your domain name to the new site. Would love to see it when you have finished.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave2696

Dave2696

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Marsha... I will forge ahead.
Also with Homestead for over 10 years.  Was so happy with them (as was my employer). Here's the thing, I stayed with them for several years while they promised an upgrade to Sitebuilder.  4 years after the initial promise they came up with Website Builder and no way to utilize it unless you rebuilt your site from scratch.  Along with that was convoluted and almost nonexistent support for this rebuilding.  If I have to rebuild from scratch then I am going shopping since I have lost my trust in Homestead.  I did keep a smaller site with them but of course it has been static since the beginning of the month.  Things like this make me realize I did make the right choice.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,694 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
To address some of the concerns in this post:

Sitebuilder Plus is available to edit and work on your website online and is not a downloadable program. If you are needing to edit your site, you can log in at Homestead.com, navigate to Websites Manager, and then choose the option "Edit with Sitebuilder Plus". If you have multiple sites, you may have to select your website in a dropdown. 

Regarding Sitebuilder Desktop, it is not that our company servers are down, the builder that you are having trouble with has not been supported by Homestead in several years, and it is slowly becoming more and more incompatible. We are trying to keep it alive for customers who have so far refused to switch to Sitebuilder Plus as a recommended alternative, but there will come a time when we are no longer able to bring it back the desktop editor online.

I will provide a link to a post where a temporary fix was offered for Sitebuilder Desktop, but I highly recommend you consider switching off of that builder. If you have any questions about Sitebuilder Plus, or even Website Builder, you can get your questions answered here or by calling support.

As a company, we are aware that Sitebuilder as a whole has become a dated product, and we have since launched a newer editor to create new sites with, and that is Website Builder. At some point, it makes sense [as a company] to put more effort into a higher quality and modern product than to keep trying to update an old program that has rapidly become more and more obsolete. Please keep in mind, we are the only company that still has a desktop program available in any capacity, and the reason is because the world is moving further and further away from downloadable website editing products.

Here is the link to our post regarding Sitebuilder Desktop and if you look at the Official Response from Drew, you will see instructions that have helped several customers get back into Sitebuilder Desktop:

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/sitebuilder-desktop-le2fibfgkq0lm

In regard to the support available for Website Builder, I am not sure when you were looking for that information, but we have many instructional articles and have launched numerous Youtube Tutorial videos to help you with the newer builder. If you can't find the answer to any questions you have on the new builder, let us know and we will help you. As you can see from several customers who have responded above, Website Builder is a quality product that can help you revamp your website to be responsive, modern, and mobile friendly.
Photo of R.

R.

• 2,446 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi,

May I please inquire what will happen if Desktop Sitebuilder stops working. Will our websites freeze or completely disappear?

I have 5,000 pages on my website and I don't know how I could ever redo it considering my age and health issues. Is there a paid service with Homestead where someone could help rebuild a site on the new Website Builder?

Thank you and I appreciate your help and service.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
what is your site address?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,694 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
R.9229,

If Sitebuilder Desktop stops working permanently, the only way to update those sites would be to use Sitebuilder Plus. If you are unable to do so, then unfortunately, the site wouldn't be able to be updated.
We do have a design team that can get your website started in Website Builder. The good thing about that builder is pages can be duplicated if some of your pages have the same format. If you want, I can have someone from that department call you to discuss how many pages they can rebuild for you and the cost.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.