Creating "m" subdomain/Homestead-built (NOT Duda) mobile site

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive.  If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it.  You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

I built a duda site a while back.  It didn't work for me.  What I'd like to do is create m.(my site) as a subdomain and target a specific page that is more mobile friendly.  I took all the necessary steps and the chat "help" person confirmed that all the steps I had taken were correct and that it would take up to 24 hours for the subdomain to kick in.

Well, sitebuilder says it could take up to 20 MINUTES and currently I'm getting what appears to be a duda "page not found" when I go to m.(my site).

I am clearly impatient but partially because I'm not convinced "help" gave me accurate information.  My guess is that a setting needs to be changed to that when the "m." subdomain is accessed, Homestead knows to look for the Homestead subdomain, NOT a duda-built site.

So, in short -- am I just impatient and need to wait the 24 hours?  Or, has anyone else done this and were there additional steps that need to take place.

(I've created several subdomains throughout the course of time without a problem and none have ever taken more than 20 minutes to become active.)
Photo of Joshua2161

Joshua2161

• 3,994 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Joshua2161,

I am not sure which site you are working on, but the m. in our system is a CNAME record on your domain. You can either edit that to point to the correct page, or you can remove it and use the subdomain option. If you have any questions, please ask and provide the domain name.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Joshua2161

Joshua2161

m.corunnanow.com  -  i already create the subdomain as i have created others before, but this one has not become active
Photo of Joshua2161

Joshua2161

it has been 12+ hours
Photo of Joshua2161

Joshua2161

so, it sounds like there IS a step that has to be taken that is different than with any other subdomain.  
Photo of Joshua2161

Joshua2161

attempting to change cname... hoping everything doesn't blow up
Photo of Joshua2161

Joshua2161

"It appears that our partners are experiencing some technical difficulties, so we were unable to submit your A Record, CNAME, MX and TXT Record changes at this time. Please ensure that the records you are attempting to submit are valid and try again later." i got that error.

was trying to point m.corunnanow.com to corunnanow.com/m.html
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Ok, the CNAME is a DNS entry and take precedent. Since you already created the subdomain, that is probably why there was an error. I just removed the CNAME, so in a while it should propagate and work using the subdomain

Drew

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.