Coming Soon: Homestead Website Builder with responsive design

• Announcement
  • Updated 2 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We are archiving this topic and closing it to new comments as the new builder was released some time ago and this topic is outdated.

We hope you’re enjoying online success with your Homestead website!
Now, we have some BIG news to share that will make your site even more successful...

We’ve been listening to your feedback, and are pleased to introduce Homestead Website Builder, a powerful new platform that delivers everything you need for your website:

Drop Down Menus & Mobile Responsiveness

Plus...

Modern Templates
    Modern/Advanced Image Sliders
    Interactive Blog Features
    Responsive Web Design

While templates from your site will not migrate to the new builder, this will be your opportunity to create an updated site with best-in-class functionality and your choice of thousands of mobile-friendly designs.

While we continue to do all that’s possible to maintain low fees, this list of all-inclusive service improvements necessitates a small $2/month increase. Payments processed on or after November 3, 2016 will reflect this updated pricing.

Warm website wishes,
The Homestead Team
Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 42,266 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Patti9584

Patti9584

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
when will this be available?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,646 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Patti9584, I don't have an exact date yet. I'm told by the end of the year.
Photo of Patti9584

Patti9584

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
well i hope its before the extra charges.

Photo of Chris8611

Chris8611

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This needs to happen like yesterday... I was just considering leaving Homestead for SquareSpace... Will any of the new designs be parallax web sites?
Photo of Chris8611

Chris8611

So I guess only certain comments will remain in this "Community" because it seems as tho my last comment was removed... #NoBueno
Photo of Don I.

Don I.

• 158 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
@ Chris8611, yeah, my response to your comment was removed too :(
Photo of Chris8611

Chris8611

#CommunistStateOfWebDevelopment lol
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Don I and Chris8611, This is a support community for Homestead products and services. Any post related to those things will be left up as long as the conform to our posting guidelines. Post not relevant to Homestead products or services will be removed. I am sorry for that. Many people come here for information on their websites and these posts make it harder for them to find the information they see.
Photo of Chris8611

Chris8611

Thanks for that clarification Drew...

So to my initial question: Will any of the new designs be parallax web sites?
Photo of shrek30941495

shrek30941495

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am only using the template and I like that then you tell me there is a $2 increase because you installed something I do not need? I am supposed to just accept this $2 increase and not be involved in building anything new? I do not like that the increase is not just geared to those who use this EXTRA service but everyone will be paying for it....is it possible to not have that $2 increase?
Photo of Karen6788

Karen6788

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I agree, Shrek!  The last time they "improved" the site, I found it very difficult to work with, and never was able to do as much as I could many years ago when I signed on.  Now, I'm threatened with another "improved" model.  Forget it.  I'm shopping for another host for our sites.  Homestead has been great in many ways, but this is the straw....
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Chris, sorry missed that. I do not yet know details on all the templates available. Do you have specific functionality in mind?
Photo of Chris8611

Chris8611

No worries Drew... I understand, you have a lot of questions coming at you from many unhappy customers.

Here is an example of the type of site I'd love to have with a Homestead template: avenirclinic.com were there's a picture or color in the background that is static but the whole site scrolls over it as you go down. In addition, I've been limited with my sites on Homestead where you can't fill the whole screen from left to right with a picture or background color. Lastly, for whatever reason, Homestead templates have a grainy feel to them...In this HD age, it would be nice to have sharper images and shapes with the templates.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I haven't seen all the templates, so I am not sure about the scrolling. The new templates are much more modern looking and fully responsive, so it should fill the browser based on the visitors resolution and size of their browser window.
Photo of Kathryn Primm, DVM

Kathryn Primm, DVM

• 434 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This is a wonderful change that I have been waiting for!
Photo of David0589

David0589

• 574 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
so will the responsive website over ride the DUDA that we can't, and no one can tell us how to get rid of feature?
Will the desktop Sitebuilder work for both old version of site while we re-build the new one?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Yes David, the new builder eliminates the need for Duda to be mobile friendly. Did you want to disable Duda now on the site?

While you build the new site, the old site can be kept up until you are ready. You will be able to edit it with Sitebuilder.
Photo of Maurice2103

Maurice2103

• 1,276 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I'm would think around Nov we should be able to get a look at the new builder. I hope they are going deep functionality with this new builder. I want that ability to really make my sites, my sites. I'm going to be comparing it to something like Weflow (which is what I was looking at as a Homestead replacement) but switching to webflow would be a heck of a learning curve, so I'm glad I stuck around and I'm really glad homestead is taking this leap into the future. I just hope it has easy of use and that ability to get in there and make my sites very uniquely  mine. Looking forward to seeing what you folks have come up with.
Photo of Maurice2103

Maurice2103

• 1,276 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I'm would think around Nov we should be able to get a look at the new builder. I hope they are going deep functionality with this new builder. I want that ability to really make my sites, my sites. I'm going to be comparing it to something like Weflow (which is what I was looking at as a Homestead replacement) but switching to webflow would be a heck of a learning curve, so I'm glad I stuck around and I'm really glad homestead is taking this leap into the future. I just hope it has easy of use and that ability to get in there and make my sites very uniquely  mine. Looking forward to seeing what you folks have come up with.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I can't say for sure when, but there is a pretty deep feature set. You should be able to make a really nice site very simply, but also have the ability to get more complicated if desired.There will be a learning curve with this as well, but hopefully no too steep.
Photo of Lee2991

Lee2991

• 88 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I'm assuming we'll get notified via email when this is ready? I've been preparing to do a complete site overhaul [including adding Storefront/Bigcommerce]. It sounds like this new software will be just what I'm wanting. Will Storefront/Bigcommerce still integrate with the new software? Looking forward to trying it, NOT looking forward to all the migration work! ;)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Lee2991, all I can say for sure is that I will post it here. If you stay subscribed to this topic, you will receive an email. There may also be a general email, but I am not yet sure, as I do not know if the roll out will be all at once or in groups of accounts.
Photo of William Cox

William Cox

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I don't have a 'store' site, mine is a simple little eleven or twelve page 'family' site. I understand I DO NOT need to worry about making any changes?  I do wish Homestead had not messed with the communications, messaging that was so great, now no one can leave messages on my site! I even tried and there were just "too many hoops" to jump through - no body wants to go through all that just to leave a comment on my site!  Sad - it was great contact for family & friends!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

William, I am not sure exactly what you are referring to. Can you show me an example on one of your pages? The new builder may do it better, or I may be able to offer an alternative for you.
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

• 3,296 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I have about 650 pages on my main website.  Would a web-scraper help in making the new site?  Copy & paste would take forever.

Also, will the new builder be retina-ready?
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

If you choose to use the new builder, you would need to rebuild the site, but you will be able to keep the existing site and edit it using Sitebuilder.
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

Do you recommend using a web scraper to make it easier to copy?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I have not used a web scraper. You could try and see what results you receive. If the scraper pulls code, then you may see some problems with the differences in the 2 builders.
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

Thanks, I have never used one either...just trying to figure out how to make the transition as easy as possible.  I think most scrapers just pull content, but not sure.

Anyone out there have any ideas?
(Edited)
Photo of wscummins6993

wscummins6993

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Can we build a new site offline with the new software while keeping the old one up and running in the interim and then moving over to the new site when its ready?  This is a huge decision for businesses who wish to keep the transition smooth and seamless.  There should be no down time to the site.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

wscummins6993, You will be able to leave the old site up and running while you build the new site. You will also be able to edit the old site using Sitebuilder.

The new builder is an online builder. You will not be able to build it offline.
Photo of wscummins6993

wscummins6993

Ok, but what do I need to build the new site online?  Will this be live or just a virtual version until ready to publish?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Just like now, you will be able to build the new site and save without publishing. You may also publish and we will provide a URL that allows you to look at the site online. When you are done with the new site, then you may move the domain to it. You old Sitebuilder site will stay as is, until you decide to move the domain to the new site. Does that answer your question?
Photo of wscummins6993

wscummins6993

Ok, that works.  I just did not want to create an entire other domain or pay for another domain to host the new site.  Hence my first question, can I build it inside my builder without publishing until ready, but preview and test it?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Yes, you can build it privately while the old site stays public. I will start posting topics on the new builder tomorrow(time permitting). If you have interest in seeing them as posted, you are welcome to watch the new category. You can hit the follow button to see when I post each topic, but you will also get emails for any questions or comments.

Websitebuilder Category
Photo of Marcella7180

Marcella7180

• 484 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have just down grade my website so I can't create another website.
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

When we copy and paste, I assume it will be copying from the sitebuilder editor and not the published pages as seen by site visitors, is that correct Drew?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Gloria2691, You can try both. Personally I think I would use the published site as changing pages is quicker online than in the editor, but copying text from within Sitebuilder does place it in the clipboard, so it does paste over.
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

Well, I tried copying and pasting from the published site  (I have a blog on Wordpress) to my Wordpress blog site just to see how it would work.  When I copy from the published site it does not copy the various internal and external links on my site (it copies them, but they do not function)  Hope I am making myself clear.  

However, it does copy the functining links when I copy from the editor, as you can see here.  Unfortunately it also copies some stuff I don't want as well.

Many of my pages have links, so that will be an important factor.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I get it. I will see if I can get some testing done for you. Unfortunately it has been a busy week this week and I have not been able to grab much time.
Photo of Joe1290

Joe1290

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Drew, I have been reading and trying to keep up. Can you at least share a few screen shots of what it might look like or maybe an idea when we can start using the platform? I thought it would be in November. Is that even close? I really don't want to spend a lot of time on the site and then need to rebuild it.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Joe, I only have a few simple topics up so far, as it has been pretty busy this week. You can look at the new builder category, https://community.homestead.com/homestead/categories/homestead_websitebuilder.

Any topic with the avatar , is a how to on the new builder and has screen shots of that particular subject. There are only a few, but yo can start to see some things. I don't have a date yet, but the builder is fully functional. We are integrating it and testing back end functionality. It should not be a very long time until ready.
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

speaking of Avatar, will the new builder allow us to put one on our site?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Do you mean a favicon for the browser tab? If so, yes. It should be a square image, and about 70x70 pixels to work better on all devices.
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

Yes, that's what I meant.  Thanks.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You're welcome
Photo of Rich4833

Rich4833

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Looking forward to checking it out. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Soon I will begin to create new help topics here for it, so you will be able to see some screen captures and how tos as I am able to add them.
Photo of Don I.

Don I.

Here's what customer support has to say about the actual availability date:
Photo of Robert6980

Robert6980

i DON'T WANT TO REDESIGN MY WEBSITES.  wILL THE EXISTING sITE bUILDER STILL WORK?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes, Robert, your current site will still be available and functional until/unless you decide to switch to the new platform.
Photo of Pat6546

Pat6546

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
If I don't want to redesign my website, and keep it as it is then it will still work, right?  Will I still be charged an additional $2 if I don't use the new platform?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Yes Pat it will still work and yes, you will be charged the additional $2. That unfortunately looked like it was tied to the new platform, but it is actually an increase for everyone.
Photo of Kari2477

Kari2477

• 188 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Will I be able to copy and paste all of my other website into the new platform?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Kari you will be able to copy/paste the text from your existing site and import your images, but your current site template will not move over. You will either need to rebuild the 'look' or use one of the new templates that will be offered.
Photo of Patricia4360

Patricia4360

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Please get this out soon!  
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

I'm sure everyone is excited and anxious to try out the new builder. I know I am! But I also know that the team is working fast and furious to get it out ASAP without any glitches. I'd rather they take their time and get it right.  :)
Photo of Judith8424

Judith8424

However, for those of us who canot wait because Homestad's Sitebuilder is simply not cutting it, when can we actually try out the new program-- one of my clients has asked me to find another provider.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Unfortunately, we can't do this. The developers are currently working on the integration to the accounts. This is still being programmed and tested.
Photo of Robin3586

Robin3586

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Does this mean we have to redesign our entire website when this change takes place?
Photo of Don I.

Don I.

YES. At least for those for which you'd like to use the new Builder. To quote Homestead, "While templates from your site will not migrate to the new builder, this will be your opportunity to create an updated site with best-in-class functionality and your choice of thousands of mobile-friendly designs." However, they also state that the previous SiteBuilders will continue to be available for those sites you don't mind leaving in those platforms.
(Edited)
Photo of Patricia4360

Patricia4360

I don't get it.  Our templates will not migrate but we can keep our same website as is?  Isn't that a contradiction?  Migration involves leaving one space for another.  We absolutely HAVE to be able to keep our websites functional if we have to rebuild.  It took me a long time to build my site, and frankly, I'm worried.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Patricia my understanding is that your existing site would remain online and you would be able to continue to edit while you are building the new site with the new builder. Once you are done the old site would be replaced by the new, but until then your old site would still be up and running.
Photo of Patricia4360

Patricia4360

I appreciate your comment, Susan, but I have not heard from anyone at Homestead that our current website will stay up while we are working on a new website.  And I'd like to know if there is a time limit on building the new site.  Drew has said that the website can remain as it is, but the statement from HS is that our templates will not migrate.  It seems that no one really knows the answers that we need to have.  I hope it's not to keep us around longer when some may choose a new company.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Let's see if I can unmuddy the waters here. Drew has stated somewhere in this mass of posts that your old site will indeed remain up while you build a new site.
To my knowledge there is not a time limit. The new builder will be there if/when you should decide to switch over.
The template you are currently using will NOT move over to the new builder. You will need to either build a new one if that is what you did with your current site OR you would be able to choose from all the new templates that will be available.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Susan is correct. Your old Sitebuilder site will be available for viewing and editing no matter what. There are no plans currently to eliminate the old sites or old Sitebuilder programs. You may continue to use them.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Patricia, I am with Homestead and your old sites will not move from Sitebuilder to the new program, but you will still be able to edit the site using Sitebuilder. You may choose to create a new site with the new program, but the old site will still be there and usable as always, until you delete it. Those are the current plans.

Photo of Douglas0507

Douglas0507

• 60 Points
Will we still be charged the extra $2 per month if we don't migrate to the new site builder?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Douglas, yes the fee will be an increase for everyone regardless if you migrate to the upcoming new sitebuilder or not.
Photo of Judith8424

Judith8424

My problem is this: I wanted to try the new offering, but the moment I put in my web address, the stupid thing said I could not.  So, I don't know if the new program will suit my client or not.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

If you have specific needs, I can answer questions concerning those needs.
Photo of David2353

David2353

• 60 Points
When I start building the new site am I going to be charge while I am building it?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You existing website will continue as is until you switch it and yes the account will be billed as usual.
Photo of Bryon7394

Bryon7394

• 912 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have 300+ pages and I have to rebuild every one ?Do you know the time commitment of this? It only took almost 3 years for drop downs. Go back and check old posts.
Photo of Robin3586

Robin3586

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Do I have to rebuild my whole website when you do the upgrade.???.

Do I have to rebuild my whole website when you do the upgrade.??? I just received an update stating you've designed a new builder and my templates will not transfer over. So does this mean that I have to design a whole new website? While i am no expert this has been a process to say the least with updates and changes on my side. Are you stating I'll have to start over from scratch again and redesign a whole new website? AND your charging more for the extra work I will have to do??? 

When is this taking effect? 
Photo of Patricia4360

Patricia4360

I'm right there with you.
Photo of Melinda0687

Melinda0687

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm with you, too.  I just finished website number 3 and I'm sure not doing it over, as it took a long time!  If I was forced to do it over again, I would go to another company.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Melinda0687, You are not going to have to rebuild. Your old site will be unaffected and you can continue to edit it as always. You will have the opportunity to look at the new builder and then decide if you have an interest in trying it. If you decide to, then you would need to rebuild, but in any case, your existing site is safe and will still be something you can maintain.
Photo of Judith8424

Judith8424

But, how do you do that?  I tried to start a new website to see about the new platform and it wouldn't let me use my web address.
Photo of Kari2477

Kari2477

• 188 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
What is hurting ALL of us is that our websites are not keeping the people with the smart phones because they can't easily view nor navigate them.  I get complaints all the time so I am now looking at other sites.  I have been with HOMESTEAD for over 15 years but sadly if I have to learn a new program, I will likely learn it elsewhere.  It has been TOO long that they didn't get us updated sooner.  The good thing is that Homestead will pay you back for the amount you are not using, if you request it.
Photo of Patricia4360

Patricia4360

Do you mean pay us back for the yearly cost not used?
Photo of Bryan8159

Bryan8159

• 294 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Homestead is just now getting to where most web builders were 2 years ago with responsive design and drop down menus. Thank God I was forced to learn Wordpress two years ago and have switched over almost all my client sites to WP. If you build on Homestead you will always be a "renter" of your website, and not an owner.  You do not own your own work, because it is tied to the Homestead proprietary platform (same with WIX et al btw.)  If I am ever dissatisfied with my website host, I can simply pick up my WP files and database and move. I own the work I put in years to build. Like some of you, I have been a Homestead customer for nearly 15 years, and have gone through all the corporate take overs, crappy service and email fiascos. I am working overtime to get my clients' sites off Homestead, and onto something that lets them keep the work they've invested in over the years. At my hourly rate, the $2 per website totally misses the value of our time building and maintaining these things. I have just looked at the new website builder. It is very cute and pretty, but only shows desktop and phone views of the screen. With over 50% of traffic coming from mobile, responsive means adapting to every possible screen size including tablets as well. I am beyond angry to find out that I can't even get my clients off my account and onto their own, without entirely rebuilding their sites in their own accounts. I might as well take them all over to WordPress.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Official Response
Your existing sites will not be affected and you will continue to be able to use Sitebuilder desktop and Sitebuilder Plus for those sites. If you wish to use the new Homestead Website Builder then you will need to rebuild the site. Unfortunately there is just too large a difference in the change to be able to convert the old fixed templates to new responsive ones.
Photo of Patricia4360

Patricia4360

I think Homestead should rebuild our sites since you are charging us.  Why don't you create a re-design and let us approve it since you know the new Website Builder?  Now THAT would be worth the extra money.
Photo of Colleen3803

Colleen3803

• 60 Points
Will I be able to continue using my old site forever, or are our old sites going to be phased out eventually?  If so, I'll start looking for a new web hosting company right now. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You will not be required to rebuild your site unless you want to take advantage of using the new builder. You will still be able to use the Sitebuilder on your sites. Unfortunately, the price increase is to provide you with new and better tools for you website. We are still a do it yourself host. We will not be able to rebuild sites.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Colleen3803, there are no plans to phase out the old sites or programs, but forever is a word I can't use.
Photo of Judy3224

Judy3224

Will the new Website Builder be interactive with our existing website?  i.e., drop down menus?
Photo of Kriss8603

Kriss8603

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
SO if we want to use the "new and Improved" we have to 'rebuild our site' anyway, We might as well look for another web hosting and platform at a lower rate. This is ridiculous. We have to pay more no matter if we move or not. 
Photo of Doug9376

Doug9376

• 696 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Couldn't agree more, Kriss. I'm tired of the archaic functionality of the current Homestead builder. I think this is the time to bite the bullet and find a cheaper and more functional website builder. Our current monthly charge is over $52/mo US! Squarespace is 1/2 that.
Photo of Peter0895

Peter0895

• 1,656 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Have you actually built a site on Squarespace???? It's a major PITA in comparison. I gave it a wholehearted try and build a site but building/managing it was to much of a pain. I think if you don't have something constructive to say about this particular subject............ you should clam up and go pick on some political party.
Photo of Doug9376

Doug9376

Hmmmm... I'm just trying to figure out if $52 US a month for Homestead is a good value. Maybe that isn't constructive, but 18/mo for annual payment is very appealing for a 5* rated builder such as SquareSpace, where Homestead is rated 1*.

A new Homestead web builder sounds great - has anyone thought of the possibilities of BUGS in it? Another thing, will this new web builder be a one-time offering or are there plans to update it occasionally (something that has not happened with the current software)?

There needs to be a lot more information re: functionality, etc. for everyone to decide whether to stay or go! If we have to rebuild our entire website to take advantage of the new functionality, now is the time to decide.

Just saying.....not meaning to rile anyone.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Doug I can only address part of your questions. As far as "bugs" go I'm betting there will be some as there always is with new releases - just look at Microsoft! That's why I am taking a wait and see attitude. It's not like we have to immediately jump in the moment the new builder is launched. 
Looking forward to the posts Drew has said he will make about the new builder and its functionality.
Photo of Nicola J6598

Nicola J6598

• 206 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Will this new website builder function on Windows 10 ... still can't get the old program to work properly so I keep an old laptop with windows 8 but none of my current pictures or files are on that computer. Major PITA. Homestead is a dinosaur of a site builder and if I have to rebuild my entire (extremely large) website then I may just go with WIX or Weebly.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Sitebuilder is an old program. This is why we are not updating it and we can't migrate sites. From what I have seen of it so far, I feel it is at least as good as any of the other builders I have tried.

It will work on Windows 10. Like Sitebuilder Plus, it is browser based, but will be more stable.
Photo of Doug9376

Doug9376

Herein lies the crux of the matter. Drew states "Sitebuilder is an old program. This is why we are not updating it...." I can only wonder where Homestead and Sitebuilder would be today if they had updated Sitebuilder along the way, in a similar fashion to most, if not all, software developers.

To not upgrade the software for years, then announce a major new release with supposedly new and better functionality but only if YOU rebuild YOUR site(s) (and pay extra for it) makes me angry.

What else gets my goat is that the new Sitebuilder is announced with no firm release date, no real firm list of functions and features, etc. 
Photo of Doug9376

Doug9376

Herein lies the crux of the matter. Drew states "Sitebuilder is an old program. This is why we are not updating it...." I can only wonder where Homestead and Sitebuilder would be today if they had updated Sitebuilder along the way, in a similar fashion to most, if not all, software developers.

To not upgrade the software for years, then announce a major new release with supposedly new and better functionality but only if YOU rebuild YOUR site(s) (and pay extra for it) makes me angry.

What else gets my goat is that the new Sitebuilder is announced with no firm release date, no real firm list of functions and features, etc. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Doug9376, I understand. I did not look to see your history, but Homestead was purchased by Intuit in 2007. Intuit chose not to push much development in Sitebuilder as they considered a website to be an accessory to Quickbooks. In 2013 Homestead was sold by Intuit. We are now part of a dedicated web services group. They recognized the shortcomings in Sitebuilder and knew it needed to be updated. After much review, it was deemed that a brand new product would be far superior than trying to update the old program, so that was the incarnation of the new builder. Unfortunately it takes time to complete the builder and then integrate it to the accounts.
Photo of Michele9155

Michele9155

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I appreciate this response and while I understand it, the ONE thing the original desktop version had over ALL other web building is that there was NOT a need to be online to create the site. For many, especially those of us in rural areas where a dedicated Internet is not readily available, this was essential.  
Like many who have posted on other threads, I am a web designer who doesn't code and have found Homestead to be the best platform to use. I am thankful for it.  I love the desktop version.  Still have never seen an improvement in the online version.  There isn't a single feature on it that I can't implement on the desktop version.
That said, I'm looking forward to the new version where drop down menus and image slideshows are available!  But, I wish it was sooner.  I have a site that could benefit from both right now but they want to roll out by the 15th of this month.  :(
Photo of Tim5862

Tim5862

• 1,774 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
A+++ to Homestead, Drew & the entire crew. We have about 50-60 sites of our own and have been with Homestead since early 1999 and we got our latest account back in 2008. Anyway, I will keep quite a few of our older sites, but will also be working on all kinds of new ones with the new responsive site builder. We have two websites that actually sell websites and they're both presently ranked #1, 2 or 3 on Google, Bing & Yahoo and my point is this. Homestead has always had a great product which allowed us to do what we do and be ranked #1 so they've definitely been doing something right. This company has made us a few hundred thousand dollars over the years and I welcome the new software. I think it will be fun and probably be very easy to use?

Anyone who's not excited about this new improvement must be off their rocker? Please consider that there's no limit to what you can do with your own creativity and this new tool will allow you to reach many more people with your creativity. From what I understand, you don't have to delete your old site or sites so why not keep those and then build some new ones that are even better?

Kind of like competing with your old work to make your new work even better. Heck, you can even place a link on your old site to a newer version of your new responsive site Just keep your old domain for your old site and buy a new domain for each new site you create? Good heavens, your only cost is just the cost of a domain. To make it even easier, simply use the forwarding feature from godaddy, wildwest, maddog or whoever to point the domain to your homestead url? Then use good content and meta tags and get ranked on the first page of the search engines for your targeted keywords and phrases? I assure you that anyone can do this if you're patient and apply a little creativity.

Building websites for our customers is all we do and that's how we earn our living and we're always trying to learn new things. Please don't be discouraged or complaining about a New Site Builder that's mobile friendly because it can only be a very positive thing?. I really think it will help everyone in the long run? Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be as good as I think it's going to be? Thank you Homestead, Drew and the entire crew for this excellent news. I'm really looking forward to it.
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

The problem for many of us is having to completely copy our old site to the new one.  I sounds very time consuming (I have 650+ pages on my main website).  I look forward to seeing the new builder but also am looking at Wordpress.
Photo of Muddd

Muddd

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Will there be a transition period when both the old Website builder and the new one are available? Your anticipated "first of the year" roll out falls right when I will be faced with the maximum number of changes to our site and I really don't have the time to redo all 25 pages plus deal with a learning curve.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Frederick9299, there are no plans to force you to change your site(s). Existing sites will still be accessible using Sitebuilder desktop and Plus. Once integrated, new sites will be made with the new builder. At a later time you can decide or not to change the old sites to the new more modern ones.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Will the increase be for all sites or just ones built with the 'new and improved'?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Susan, it will be on all accounts.
Photo of sweetmomma

sweetmomma

• 540 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
So... we all have to pay an extra $2 - even if we don't want the inconvenience of rebuilding our website? Honestly - not wanting the hassle of starting over has been the major factor in not moving to a new host. 
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

So I now have the thrill of informing my clients that they are either going to have to pay an extra $24/year for their current builder OR they are going to have to pay the extra $24/year AND pay me to rebuild their websites with the new builder.
I'm sorry Drew, that just doesn't seem right. Sure, charge the extra for using the new builder, but why penalize those who choose not to?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Susan I am sorry, but it is not meant to be a penalty. Costs are not stagnant. We have been fortunate that price increases at Homestead have been quite rare, but they do occur.

Photo of Cathy0274

Cathy0274

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I agree that it is a double whammy to have to rebuild one's website from scratch to take advantage of new features, and at the same time get hit with a $24/year price increase (regardless of whether we migrate to the new platform). For a small non-profit like ours, with a small website, $24 is an almost 20% increase in cost.
Photo of Doug9376

Doug9376

Interesting...."price increases have been quite rare....." yeah just like updates to existing functionality. So if I chose not to upgrade, why do I have to pay $24/year extra??
Photo of Doug9376

Doug9376

Any additional information as to when this is going to happen or what the new system's functionality will be? Or in other words, what benefit(s) will I receive by upgrading??
Photo of Peter0895

Peter0895

• 1,656 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
GOD forbid............ $24!!!! Added to an inexpensive product to begin with......  Get a grip!!!! It's $24..... a beer in a pub is $6!!!
Photo of Doug9376

Doug9376

$52 US per month or soon to be $54 US per mo ain't cheap ($71 Cdn) for us Canucks! Go buy Donald a beer!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

We are working to get it done as quickly as possible, but I don't have a firm date yet.

Unfortunately as you know, prices on virtually everything go up sometimes. I believe it has been 3 years since the last increase. The new builder will represent a big upgrade in functionality and features.
Photo of Cathi0232

Cathi0232

So, we will have to pay the increase whether we are going to use the new builder or not? And take the huge amount of time to rebuild if we choose to use the new site? I need to shop around.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Cathi the increase will be universal regardless if we use the new builder or not and yes, for some it will be a huge undertaking to rebuild a site or sites (insert a groan), but I'm in the wait and see mode. I want to see what this new platform does before I consider a possible change. I've looked at some of the other web builder programs and haven't been terribly impressed - hoping Homestead's new and improved will be awesome!!
Photo of wscummins6993

wscummins6993

What I am having an issue with is that you have started charging site owners across the board for something that is not released and are collecting funds in advance of the release with no firm release date.  I think most of us are wondering...why am I paying for something I have no access to?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am sorry for the confusion. The $2 increase is on the hosting package. We do not charge for the builder(s) offered. They are included on all accounts. We did want to let you know that it is coming soon. It might have been better done in 2 emails.
Photo of Rocco0045

Rocco0045

• 60 Points
Will I be able to copy and paste from the old site builder to the new one?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Rocco0045, You should be able to copy/paste text from on to the other, but you will have to upload images and media files separately
Photo of Dana2783

Dana2783

• 70 Points
So, I can start creating a new website in the new program and continue using the old until I feel comfortable in moving over?
Photo of SEEN1011

SEEN1011

• 742 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
yes. all should be happy that there is finally a new update towards the new market mobile trend. I hope that this builder keeps updated and does not become outdated like the other builders did. I this is also offered as a desktop version I will deff stay.
Photo of Robin3586

Robin3586

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Do I have to rebuild my whole website when you do the upgrade.???.

Do I have to rebuild my whole website when you do the upgrade.??? I just received an update stating you've designed a new builder and my templates will not transfer over. So does this mean that I have to design a whole new website? While i am no expert this has been a process to say the least with updates and changes on my side. Are you stating I'll have to start over from scratch again and redesign a whole new website? AND your charging more for the extra work I will have to do??? 

When is this taking effect? 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,636 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You will not have to rebuild existing sies, unless you wish to take advantage of the new builder.
Photo of Don I.

Don I.

But if you DO want to take advantage of the new builder, you DO have to rebuild your site.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Don I., yes. There are just too many differences to be able to convert the old sites to the new builder.
Photo of Daniel6929

Daniel6929

• 682 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It should be your next challenge!!! to convert old sites to the new builder! It might take time but ...
...those having tens or hundreds of pages already built with Sitebuilder Plus will not rebuild them. That's for sure!
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

It's good that folks have a choice of either going with the new builder or not.

Personally, I would rather see Homestead focus their resources on upgrading and updating this new builder as time goes on. Trying to get the old sites to sync with this new one would be a huge undertaking and I'm not sure it would even be possible.
Photo of Ann7916

Ann7916

• 320 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled When will the new sitebuilder be available?.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Don I There is no official date of release. We are now making sure agents are not setting unrealistic expectations. The best I can say is end of year at this time.
Photo of Michele9155

Michele9155

Why did they feel it necessary to announce a new program but not have a firm release date before doing so?  What bothers me is that "the end of the year" could be the 1st of Nov or the 31st of Dec. For those of us who design sites for others, asking them to wait for an indeterminate amount of time so we don't have to do the work twice, it's difficult to give them answers and make them wait.  Unfortunately, I have a client NOW who would benefit but I cannot ask them to wait until the end of the year.  :(
Photo of Matt3174

Matt3174

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Right.  I am needing to build a new site for our new business.  It needs to be done by the end of October.  When will the new sitebuilder be released.  We are all running businesses, so we deal in hard dates so that we can make decisions.  

Thanks
Photo of Neil7148

Neil7148

• 384 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
If I want to rebuild my website, should I click on the "Add New Website" link, give it a placeholder domain, then migrate my domain over to it when it is finished? What is the most efficient way of doing this? 
Photo of Don I.

Don I.

For those who don't wish to rebuild their sites, Homestead says you can continue to maintain them in the existing SiteBuilder. However, for those who want to use the new Website Builder, you'd have to rebuild from scratch. Homestead says, "...templates from your site will not migrate to the new builder," and, "this will be your opportunity to create an updated site..."
Photo of Neil7148

Neil7148

Thanks Don. I am more curious about migrating my existing domain (longrangellc.com) to a newly designed webpage  
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Neil7148, Are you wanting to build a new site with the new builder? It is not yet available.

If you want to do it with Sitebuilder, then you may add a new wedsite and build from Sitebuilder.
Photo of Neil7148

Neil7148

OK. Yes, I want to rebuild our website with the added features. When will the new builder be available and how will we migrate the domain over to the new site?
Photo of Don I.

Don I.

Oh, okay Neil7148... You might also try going from the DOMAINS tab and selecting the option to "Use a Domain You Already Own."
Photo of Neil7148

Neil7148

The email I received about this is very vague and misleading. It is "introducing" this new website builder, yet it is not available?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Neil7148, There is no set date yet. Once we have one we will post it.
Photo of Bruce2944

Bruce2944

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
No one answered the second part of Neil's question.  Do I build the new site with the new builder under a placeholder domain name as Neil suggested?  Then will I be able to redirect my public domain name to the new site when ready?  What's the plan?
Photo of Todd H

Todd H, Social Media Specialist

• 20,594 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Bruce2944, yes you would be able to create a generic site with the new builder under a temporary file name and you would be able to assign a domain name to it afterwards when you are ready.
Photo of Jim4187

Jim4187

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'd like to update my websites, but hate to pay for the increase for an additional website, while I build a new one.  It would be great if we could develop a website, or update an existing one, without having to pay for an add-on.  If I did increase my fees for an additional site, and then went back down after making a new site to replace the old?  Seems like a lot of monkeying around.

If we go to the new site, will we be able to upgrade the new site on the fly vs. during the old one and starting again?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Jim4187, I do not know the answer to that yet. I will need to try to find out.
Photo of William2374

William2374

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Jim4187's question is important. Whenever the new site builder is available (I don't like the uncertainty about that), I would like to use it to create a new site while leaving my old site published and available without having to pay an additional fee just to create the new site. Will that be possible?
Photo of Patricia4360

Patricia4360

I agree.  VERY important consideration of staying or going.
Photo of Michelle

Michelle

• 60 Points
I agree with William2374. If I understand correctly, our fee will go up $2 a month but we don't know when we will have access to the new software? So will Homestead not bill us the fee until the software is ready? I know $2 doesn't sound like much but I have over a dozen other website fees per month, including a fee for the new site I am building with another company. I just need clarification...thanks!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The increase is on the hosting fee, it is not a charge for the builder. The builder is provided free with a paid account. The increase will be reflected on the first bill after November 3rd, 2016. Unfortunately, I don't have a date yet for the release, but everyone is working to get this done as soon as possible.
Photo of Judy3224

Judy3224

Will the the new Website Builder have a complete blog feature?
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Judy3224, the new builder does have an improved blog feature. I do not know what you mean by complete, and don't have a full feature list on the blog yet, but as I am able, I will begin posting topics here in the community.
Photo of Retha7741

Retha7741

• 60 Points
I basically designed our site with texts boxes and such.  Will that migrate?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Unfortunately there is no migration, but you can copy/paste the text to the new builder. The code side of the 2 builders is just too different to be able to conver sites from one to the other.
Photo of tamlynarabians0933

tamlynarabians0933

• 156 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
well that sux! I am 65yo and it took me ages to build my site. Now you tell me I have to do it all again and pay you for my work???? maybe you will have to find a way to link the two!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

tamlynarabians0933, You do not have to rebuilde it. You may continue to use your site as is. We have no plans to discontinue your old site or builder. You may keep it going as is, or for however long it takes to rebuild in the new builder.
Photo of Steven9528

Steven9528

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Will we be able to create a new website with the new website builder while our old sitebuilder site is still up.  It is going to take quite some time to build a website from scratch.  I just want to make sure I am not out of business for awhile. 

Also, is the new website builder associated with the BigCommerce Storefront you currently offer.  I am in the middle of building one of those sites too. Thank you.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Your old sites will still use Sitebuilder. Once integrated to the account, new sites will use the new builder. Old sites will continue to use Sitebuilder.

This builder is an in house product, it is not associated with nor will it affect your Bigcommerce store.
Photo of Steven9528

Steven9528

Thank you.
Photo of William2374

William2374

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Sorry, Drew N, but you haven't fully answered Steven9528's question. I understand that the old site can remain available while we create a new site, but will we need to pay for two sites in while building the new one?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Steven as you can imagine Drew has his hands full at the moment trying to respond to all the questions. Give him a bit of time to play catch up. Perhaps Homestead could use the extra fees to get him some help when there is a surge like this!  :)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

It depends on the account William. If you have an account that allows for multiple websites at no additional charge, you will still have that. If your account allows for only 1 site, then just as now, you would need to pay for additional sites, which is $2/month for 2 additional sites.
Photo of walt0940

walt0940

I am not using any templates. will I be able to copy and paste from my old Site Builder?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Yes you will.
Photo of Michele9155

Michele9155

@Walt0940 & @DrewN:
What do you mean you are not using any templates?
I use the build from scratch feature but am not using html coding.  I'm confused as to how I could copy/paste but others wouldn't be able to do so - unless Walt0940 is using html solely?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Michele I believe that what Drew meant is that we will be able to copy/paste files and text but for those who use templates they won't be able to transfer the template itself over.
Photo of Michele9155

Michele9155

@Susan2829,
That doesn't answer my question.  Or perhaps I'm not understanding "copy/paste files".  I understand being able to copy/paste html codes but I'm not understanding how we could copy and paste files.  ie:  jpgs can't be copied/transferred and if we're not using html to create a website, then it would be simply jpgs and text, correct?
Photo of SEEN1011

SEEN1011

upload the files.
Photo of Jeffrey8056

Jeffrey8056

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Please verify, is the $2/month increase on our entire account once per month or per domain name that we have with Homestead? (10 sites = $20/month or 1 account = $2/month)??
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Jeffrey8056, the $2/month affects only the website hosting package. If you have a $20.99 Gold package, it will be $22.99. Add on services will not change at this time.
Photo of Cathy0274

Cathy0274

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
If we choose to migrate to the new platform, will our original site still remain available to the public while we build the new site?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Yes and you will be able to edit it as needed using the Sitebuilder program you currently use.
Photo of Chris8611

Chris8611

Drew, I never got a reply from you about the paralex templates
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I do not know yet. I am trying to find out. As far as I know it uses only pre-made templates. You can't import templates, so they would have to be built in.
Photo of Don I.

Don I.

Me, personally, I am less concerned about the $2 increase than I am about the quality and functionality of the new builder. Homestead was once my go-to content management (template-based web design) system. But with the growing importance of mobile-responsive sites and java script-based features like drop-down menus... I've needed them to step their game up for quite some time now. @ the moment, I just need a good reason to stick around and not bail altogether. What's important to me is upgrades WORTH a price increase.
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Don I, I will start getting topics with screen shots up as soon as I can so you all can see them. I will be adding a category here called Website Builder when I begin.
So will I be able to have the new site builder and the old site builder on my computer at the same time and just work on a new version of my website when I have time? I have tons of page and images and it would take me quite a while before I would have it ready to publish on the new site builder.

In other words would I still be able to do small routine changes to the website on my old site builder if I also have the new site builder on my computer at the same time?

I would not publish the new version until it was completely finished and during that time I would probably have to do routine changes to the old version is what I mean.

Hope that makes sense.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Yes. Your old site will be unaffected. You will be able to have it live and edit it until ready to switch to the new site.
Photo of Stella5352

Stella5352

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Will I still be able to use to current Sitebuilder to edit my current site "as is....
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Stella5352, yes you will be able to.
Photo of irene9041

irene9041

• 70 Points

Hello Drew , I am happy to learn that responsive design is available at lenght . I still have an old subdomain  subdomain.homestead.com : I never switched it to a www.domain.com as you always refused me the permanent 301 redirect . I was a total newbie when I started my website on 2001 and when I discovered I could not make a correct redirect for Seo I was heavily deceived . I have neglected the website for many years by now and revenues have dropped since , of course . But I'm willing to refresh it , if the work is worth it . To make a long story short :

1) Have I to get a www.domain.com in order to start a responsive website ? I understood I can copy texts and this is fine . I am not willing to lose the traffic coming to my actual subdomain type website , although it is not high as it was in the past . Is there any means to get the subdomain.homestead.com  redirected  to my future www.domain.com?

2) I have a gold package and I have been paying expensive for just a subdomain ! I have a www.domain.com registered with you which I never used . Can I register a new name for the responsive website instead of the one I have which I ' d like to drop ?

3) If I want to start a second responsive website for another activity , what is the additional cost per year ?

Thank you for your time ( we Italians talk and write too long :-)

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

1) The only way to redirect the traffic would be to simply have an index page with an HTML redirect to the new site. Search engines will likely figure it out rather quickly and your customers may never notice.

2) Yes. You can delete that domain and register a different one when ready.

3) I believe the function of the current packages is remaining the same at this time, so Gold allows you to make additional sites at no additional charge, unless you wanted a domain. I will double check that.
Photo of irene9041

irene9041

• 70 Points
This means I would get html links from a junk website with no content ( my old one )  to my new responsive one containing the texts I would copy ... Double content is no good for SEO . I guess that bad quality inbound links are better to be avoided as I have been asked by some webmasters to delete  links from my website to theirs ...

Only a page by page html redirect can be taken into consideration anyway . Are you going to redirect it page by page ? If the html redirect only concerns the index page , I ' m not interested . I'll just drop Homestead and pay some portal fee : I avoid new website work and expensive fees for what I get .
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

There would be no double content. You would remove the content from the old site and redirect the page(s) desired to the new site with the new content. It is the only way to redirect on Homestead. Search engines are much smarter than they used to be and understand this is sometimes done.
Photo of SEEN1011

SEEN1011

Look at google webmaster for redirects which are SEO approved.
Photo of SEEN1011

SEEN1011

use a google seo preferred method
Photo of Michele R.4628

Michele R.4628

• 478 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Greetings,  No one has asked or mentioned,  Re: Impact on the Newly Launched Website's Google/ SEO Ranking.  When we launch the  new site, what will happen to our Google ranking?  I rank #1 in several categories.  While my website is tired and dated looking, I hate to lose my excellent ranking.  Thank you so very much!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Michele R.4628, You can never know how a major change in design will affect your rankings. Sadly, it always causes an initial drop of at least some. That being said, everything the new builder does is more in tune with today's guidelines for web design as relating to SEO. The code is cleaner, the designs are responsive, mobile friendly is built in. You can control page titles, descriptions and all that stuff. Any initial loss should recover more quickly because of that.

You can also keep the old site, but but watch your traffic closely as some of the things Sitebuilder does not do may also cause a decrease in the future.
Photo of Chip1643

Chip1643

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This new mobile-friendly platform is a step in the right direction! Homestead needs to beta test and beta test and prior to public release, the last stage of testing should involve beta test sites outside of Homestead for feedback from selected volunteer customers. Just don’t rush the release date.

Photo of Richard 9529

Richard 9529

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Amen!  Test, Test and Test some more! Getting it right is more important than meeting the date.  
Photo of SEEN1011

SEEN1011

It is great that well have responsive sites, but the increase in charges should only be set once this is launched. I personally want this, but I can see many people leaving Homestead, who do want the responsive,+ the increase before launch date, which is still not know.!
Photo of wscummins6993

wscummins6993

So Far, I've been told 3 different things regarding the price increase. 1, The charge increase was for hosting, then the letter I got via email, and the information at the top of this topic, contained below.

So, which is it and why were increases made before the software was ready?

"We've been listening to your feedback, and are pleased to
introduce Homestead Website Builder, a powerful new platform that
delivers everything you need for your website:

Drop Down Menus

&

Mobile Responsiveness

· Modern Templates

· Modern/Advanced Image Sliders

· Interactive Blog Features

· Responsive Web Design
While templates from your site will not migrate to the new builder, this
will be your opportunity to create an updated site with best-in-class
functionality and your choice of thousands of mobile-friendly designs.

While we continue to do all that's possible to maintain low fees, this list of
all-inclusive service improvements necessitates a small $2/month increase.
Payments processed on or after November 3, 2016 will reflect this updated
pricing."
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

wscummins6993, We have 3 base packages at Homestead. There are also some additional services that will add to the cost of the base package. Site building tools have never been an add on service. They are included with your hosting package. I am sorry for the confusion.
Photo of wscummins6993

wscummins6993

The header of this thread states that the reason for the increase is the increased features of the new site builder, not the hosting package.

"We've been listening to your feedback, and are pleased to
introduce Homestead Website Builder, a powerful new platform that
delivers everything you need for your website: "

All the things that come after that refer to the website builder, not hosting.

given that the software is not ready, why are we being charged for it?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Think of it like this. The writer of the email or the marketing people or somebody, screwed up. There should have been two emails. One informing us of the increase and the other, one that ideally should have been sent at a later date than it was, informing us of getting a new site builder.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The wording is unfortunate, and I agree 2 emails would have been better. My explanation above still holds true. Our packages have always included the builder at no additional fee. All costs rise over time and it is not just the new builder that necessitates the increase. 
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

Poor Drew....everyone is picking on him.  Maybe he needs to find a "safe space".  Everybody just calm down....it was poorly handled but hardly that big a deal.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Haha! Thank you Gloria. Fortunately or unfortunately, I am from a generation before safe spaces. Well before.
(Edited)
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Like when Moby Dick was still a guppy.  hee hee
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

HA! Well, maybe not THAT before. That would be my great grandfather, possibly great great grandfather. Somehow I feel a little young again.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

LOL  See? It's all relative or about relatives. Young is as young does. Never pass up the opportunity to play in a puddle.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Photo of Nicola J6598

Nicola J6598

• 206 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
does anyone know the release date... how soon is soon? thanks
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Drew has stated that the exact release date isn't known at this time.
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 63,214 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm exited about getting started. Will the new software have word wrap?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The text boxes word wrap. Is there a specific context you are looking for?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Will we still be able to design our sites or will we have to use one of the templates?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I haven't looked for a start from scratch option, but I haven't yet found something I am unable to delete.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Anxious to kick the tires on this new builder!! :)
Photo of Vicki6380

Vicki6380

• 62 Points
I too, want to totally rebuild my site. I don't mind the extra cost, but would like to have the program before the cost goes up...
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Vicki the cost increase is for everyone regardless which builder they use and begins with November billing. There hasn't been a release date given yet for the new program, but the estimate is a couple of months so it's doubtful you will be able to have the program before the cost increase.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

This is correct. You can lock in the current prices if you are on a 1 or 2 year plan, plus get the savings of longer terms. The increase will be reflected in the first billing after November 3rd, so if you just paid for 2 years, then you will not see the increase for 2 years.
Photo of Rich9430

Rich9430

Almost 20 years, uncountable websites, god help me!!  But must of us vets have already added drop down menus, and sliders, (CSS sliders work the best with homestead).  I hope it's worth it, but homestead is SO outdated compared to everyone else.  I believe it was PC magazine somewhere around 1998, named Homestead the best site builder on the market, and I believe it was free!
Photo of Michele9155

Michele9155

The price is effective in Nov but the proposed rollout isn't until the end of the year?  
I think someone dropped the ball in marketing.  Perhaps a price increase announcement should have come first, just because, well, there was a price increase.  Deal with it.  But then announce the roll out of the new sitebuilder.  People will complain about a price increase but they are complaining more now bc they're getting charged for what appears to be something for nothing - and before it's even available.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

You are 100% right Michele. And I'm still chuckling a bit over it and wondering who on earth was so obtuse as to not see what the reactions would be. Perhaps it was just a case of excitement over having a new and improved and updated version. Who knows! :)
Photo of Lori9932

Lori9932

• 1,916 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
i just told someone on chat - that someone in marketing really got this wrong - and to me the email is very misleading - price increase and a responsive web design well we r getting an increase but no responsive design - and she said end of the year but that isn't true is it?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Lori everyone will see the increase and there is a new web site builder coming ... it's the when that seems to be a bit up in the air. Soon I hope!
Photo of Lori9932

Lori9932

• 1,916 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
yes - i get it - but i have to go somewhere else - product launch web site that i really was excited about building with homestead but ah.... not available
can't launch a product without mobile/tablet etc... not in 2016
thanks for responding Susan
Photo of Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller

• 1,394 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This really is a let down.  I have been with Homestead since around 2002.  I have three business websites that I have built with it that are current, but I have built more.  I just finished rebuilding my main one. 

Homestead is EASY to use and that is why I have stayed with it, but if I have to completely rebuild my sites to use the new responsive site, I think I will be moving on.  At the moment, I am building a WordPress.org site and have found that the learning curve is about the same and the the overall product is far, far superior.

Perhaps Homestead will come up with a way to make the rebuilding process easier than building from scratch.  If not, it will only be a matter of time before I leave my old friend Homestead.com
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 63,202 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You don't like the new software? Did you try it?
Photo of Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller

Not yet.  I am building another website at WP and I am stuck in the final phases of that.  I had heard this new change was coming and I was ready to do it, but I didn't realize I had to completely rebuild my site.  Have you used it?  Did you build a new site or rebuild? 
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

• 6,264 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Your current sites still use the old builder, but any new sites use the new platform. I built an entire 10 page site in MUCH less time on the new platform. There are so many more options, and gives you the ability to do much more professional things.
Photo of Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller

I wonder if the old builder is going to be updated, or simply phased out?  Do you need a Dudamobile site with the new builder?
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

• 6,264 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
No need for the dudamobile. The site is automatically built mobile. You can also edit the mobile view by switching the views. Very easy.
Photo of Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller

If I have to rebuild my old sites, which are all on the first page of Google and the other major search engines, I might as well do it with a more up-to-date platform like WP.org.  I basically don't even use the HS themes any longer, just the shell and completely customize it.

We'll see how it goes, but I am leaning towards departing.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

J2096 perhaps you should at least give the new builder a try. You can click on Add a New Site and then name it something like Practice and play around with it a bit to see all it offers. There is a bit of a learning curve, but spend some time with it and it gets easier as you go. Doing this won't affect your current sites, they will still remain on whatever version you are currently using.
The builder is responsive so it will render across all devices - no need for adding a mobile as it is part of the website builder. You can view the mobile version right on the editor. It might require some adjusting, but you do that independent of the desk top version.
I've used Homestead for many years. Loved the original desktop version, loathed SiteBuilder Plus, but this new builder seems to be pretty darn good. Yes, you have to rebuild, but you can copy/paste content from current site to the new builder. Easily done by just opening your site in the browser and copying from there. You will have to rebuild the 'look' of the site, but that is simple as well by using one of the many new templates or you can choose a blank one and build from scratch.
Since you'll have to rebuild regardless what direction you take I'd say kick the tires on this new builder. I think you'll like it.
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

Like J2096, I wonder if it will be worth giving the new builder a try.  If I have to copy and paste 700 pages, why not use WP.org?  The only thing is the re-directs for each page if I switch after moving to WordPress  Apparently Homestead will do this automatically now...anyone know for sure?
Photo of Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller

Well....I have given it a try.  I can see why you can't migrate your old site to the new one.  IT IS SO MUCH BETTER!  Kudos to you guys for FINALLY doing this.  

Now, most of the new builder is intuitive if you know the old one.   Still, it is new and I am so accustomed to where everything is in the old site builder.  Can any one point me to a tutorial or a basic "here's how the new builder works?"
Photo of Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller

Well....I have given it a try.  I can see why you can't migrate your old site to the new one.  IT IS SO MUCH BETTER!  Kudos to you guys for FINALLY doing this.  

Now, most of the new builder is intuitive if you know the old one.   Still, it is new and I am so accustomed to where everything is in the old site builder.  Can any one point me to a tutorial or a basic "here's how the new builder works?"
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Rather than giving you a list of individual post addresses you will be able to find some relevant info here:

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/categories/homestead_websitebuilder

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/likes-and-dislikes-and-wishes

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/in-the-new-website-builder-how-do-we

Drew is working on getting some additional tutorials, but at this time it's pretty much limited to answers to questions.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.