Changing hosts

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I'm trying to switch from my intuit website to one at wix.com. I need to send an email to someone at intuit with an IP address. Who should it go to?
Photo of Julie4085

Julie4085

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

• 39,954 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Julie4085,

There is two ways you can point your domain name.

1. Nameserver Point: This is probably the more common way to point a domain. The only reason that you would not use this method is if you have existing email accounts. When you point your domain name via nameservers, it points the mail (MX) records as well resulting in your email not working.

2. CNAME Point: This is the type of domain point you'll want to do if you have email accounts created and do not want to move your email service elsewhere.

It sounds like you'll be doing a CNAME Point since you have an IP Address. You update your domains information from within your online account.

When you sign in, click Domains on the left hand side and click the blue Advanced DNS Settings link under listed under your domain name.

Update the necessary fields (sounds like A Records) and delete any existing records for which you're updating (ie if you're adding A Records, delete any existing A records).

Double check with your new website host about which records you need to update, A Records, CNAMES, or both.

I hope this info helps, let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks,
Ehsan

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.
Photo of Julie4085

Julie4085

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the detailed response, but I was actually looking to see if I could change hosts so I could do it without pointing. Can you please tell me the procedure for that?

Thanks,
Julie
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

• 39,954 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Julie,

Thanks for clarifying -

To transfer your domain to another host, log into your account and click Domains on the left hand side.

1. Make sure your domain is at least 60 days old (yours is)

2. Unlock the domain & Disable Privacy (if enabled)

3. Update the contact information with an email address that is not associated with your domain
*this is where the confirmation will be sent to approve the transfer

4. Email yourself the authorization code

5. Contact your new host and start the domain transfer with them

*all of the above can be done on your domains page (blue links listed under the domain)

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks!

Ehsan

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.