changing the "A" record on twocows.com

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving inactive content

Our client has a site on homestead and we've built a replacement.  Since they have existing emails on homestead, we're going to move them over to G Suites but will have to migrate all the old emails first.  While we coordinate that, we'd like to point the "A" record to our servers.

It turns out that the client has the domain on GD and it's pointed to Twocows name servers.  Is it possible to get login credentials on Twocows to change the record?  Or could I have somebody at Homestead do it for me?  It appears that Twocows does all the actually hosting of websites but there is no mention of it or a path to it on the dashboard.

Thanks in Advance,

Vic Hardy
CWR Digital
Photo of Deke7856

Deke7856

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,936 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

Your domain is registered through Tucows, but hosted through Homestead. You would log into the Domains tab on your Homestead account to change the pointing on your domain.
Photo of Deke7856

Deke7856

Thanks for the quick reply.  The "A" record does not show in the domains page, and there is no way to change is as far as I can see.  In this case the domain is registered through Godaddy and we control it, but it currently points to nameservers on twocows.  The "A" record on the twocows name servers must point back to your servers.  In any event, there is not a place to modify the "A" record on any of the domains I see on the clients page.

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

If the nameservers you are referring to are the mdnsservice nameservers, those are not Tucows, but Homesteads. You would go into the Advanced DNS settings for the domain to update the A record. If it is not these nameservers that you are referring to, then it is not pointed to Homestead. Nothing is ever pointed to Tucows. They are just the registrar.
Photo of Deke7856

Deke7856

Hmmm, my tools are telling me that  ns1.mdnsservice.com are twocows but OK.

It turns out that I was misreading the control panel when I saw the section with all the mx records I thought that was just an mx section and not "A" records.  So I've made the change.

Thank you very much!

Vic
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

I can definitely understand why it says that, since Tucows is the registrar. I'm glad you got that taken care of

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.