Changes to our billing process - Effective December 15, 2014

• Announcement
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

We have made updates to our billing process. Your account now has a bill date and a renewal date. For customers on a monthly or semi-annual plan, the bill date is 5 days prior to the account renewal date. For customers on an annual or biennial plan, the bill date is 15 days prior to the account renewal date. This change provides more time to resolve any billing issues (for example, an expired credit card), ensuring continuity of service. Your renewal term does not change and your account is always considered current and paid in full through your renewal date.

If you have a specific date that you need your credit card to be billed - we can change your renewal date so that your billing date aligns with your needs. To do so, you may call support, open a chat, or post a private question here in the community. For privacy reasons, we do not discuss billing issues publicly.

If your PreBill collection fails, we still attempt to bill your account on the Renewal Date and if that fails, the account becomes Past Due and your account is suspended. You can still use existing services, you just can't add new services. After that we retry at 7 days, 14 days, 21 days, and 30 days. If billing still fails at 30 days that is when your account will enter Closure with Outstanding Balance.

To check your bill date and renewal date - you can go to the Account Summary page when you are logged in to your account.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 259,094 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Cindy1230

Cindy1230

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My Billing Date Changed Without Notification..

I happened to go on my site today to try and find out why it was so slow and just by chance checked my billing.

My monthly bill is always on the 21st of the month and the payment is automatically taken out. Today I discovered that without my knowledge my billing date had been changed to the 16th of the month, almost a week early. I contacted your company to ask them to change it back to the 21st as there is no money in the bank and won't be until Friday evening (spoke with Chad). They refused to make the change, said it was not possible to put it back, I asked to speak with a supervisor (Sam) who also stated it could not be changed back. I was told to just go ahead and be late, there is a 5 day grace period with Homestead but every time you try and take money out of my bank and the money isn't there I am charged $27.00 overdraft fee. I requested that Sam let me talk to someone above him and he stated there wasn't anyone above him. I asked to speak to the person in charge of accounting and he stated he didn't know of anyone. I asked for a physical address and he stated there isn't one. I got know help and tomorrow when they try and take the money 5 days early then expected I will be charged a fee of $27.00 because the money is not there. This is messing up my bank account and the other companies that take automated payments on the correct date. After waiting almost an hour on hold to talk to someone the service was horrible. I am checking to see if legally you can change my payment date and take money out of my account without my knowledge. this is wrong to do to your loyal customers. Sam didn't care at all when I said this is going to force me to possibly leave, I guess you don't need customers. Why can't my billing date be put back to what it always has been.
Photo of Cindy1230

Cindy1230

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Amazing, I spent my entire day on the phone with Homestead, on hold for an hour and another hour trying to get help, another hour with my bank trying to make sure I didn't get charged a fee.  Chad the first rep said it could not be changed.  The very rude supervisor Sam said it could absolutely not be changed under any circumstances.  This supervisor was so rude, you almost lost a customer as when I got off the phone I started contacting other companies and was going to contact the Better Business Bureau.  Funny I didn't get anything about a survey as I usually do after I talked with them today.  I appreciate your help and hope your employees such as Sam get some training so they don't chase away more customers with bad information and bad service.  Thank you for making the change back.
Photo of Joe8337

Joe8337

• 748 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It's too bad that this data migration didn't go through as smoothly as this updated billing system--that seemed to go off for homestead without a hitch! 

Legally--if there is a contract in place--a company may not change the billing period without a 30 day notice.  This didn't happen obviously--we--and unfortunately looks like Cindy1230 got royally taken advantage of by this--however-if a company does change it's billing =even without a contract-prior to a 30 day notice--the company would be responsible for any fees, late fees, and in some cases-bank fees-if the customer was not aware of this change. 

Another question I have--in other posts-Drew mentions that homesteady will not discuss billing in this open forum and that it should be communicated directly---isn't this considered a billing issue--and shouldn't homestead of communicated direclty with us instead of posting it on this forum??  I really don't get it. 
Photo of Drew N

Joe8337,

If you want to discuss the legal aspects, you can contact compliance@homesteadsupport.com

This is a billing announcement. What we do not discuss publicly is individual billing discussions that we have we customers. There is one exception, which is the topic where we allow customers to request the removal of add on services.

I will also admit, especially in really busy times, I may have missed making some private.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Joe8337

Joe8337

• 748 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Drew
No--I don't need to discuss legal aspects--I was helping Cindy1230 who mentioned it in her post that she was checking to see if a business can change the billing date and take money out--she is the one you should be answering on that Drew---
I felt like letting her know what I knew on the business aspect-as I too was caught by surprise by nobody telling us until the day that something is happening. 

I did however- have a few questions in other posts that I have written that would be great if I could get answered.  They are about nobody being there when sitebuilder plus tells me to contact a representative and about how sitebuilder plus is now not saving changes and this is our only option to work with since the month long data migration is continuing to go on.  I didn't know how I was supposed to save changes that I needed to save since it didn't allow me to do that.   
I wrote these last night and haven't heard anything back yet.
Photo of Drew N

I hope I have taken care of Cindy1230 to her satisfaction, but that is all I will say about another person's account.

The phones are open, but they are overwhelmed these days, so the wait times are very long. You can use online chat, or post a question here. Unfortunately, there are still some inteuptions in Sitebuilder and Plus. Hopefully they will be done soon.

Drew
Photo of MapsMind

MapsMind

• 554 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Drew,

What is going to happen if you can ́t collect your money after the renewal date? Until now, Homestead gives its clients a 30-days grace period for paying oustading bills before cancelling full services. Is it going to remain the same?
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Hi MapsMind Tuent,

I am going to add a better explanation in the main topic.

Drew
(Edited)
Photo of MapsMind

MapsMind

• 554 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks!
Photo of Drew N

You're welcome
Photo of Shelley8896

Shelley8896

• 62 Points

Without ANY notification, I was double-dipped as well this month, causing bank fees on my end.  This is a load of crap, Homestead!  I was on hold for 20+ minutes this morning trying to get through and then finally chat opened up.  Likhith S said that he would only refund me one month and I had to contact billinghelp@homesteadsupport.com for additional information. When I asked for documentation of the change in billing policy he said

Likhith S: I do understand your concern, but we have updated in our community and no email correspondence.

Seems completely fraudulent to me and I will be contacting the BBB and other entities.

Photo of Kathy9686

Kathy9686

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I will indeed be checking into filing complaint with government offices regarding this issue of taking my funds before scheduled date. Notice was not given.......
Photo of Paula1944

Paula1944

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Changed Billing Date.

Good Afternoon,

My billing date was changed this month to January 5th. I was not informed of this change. It has been the 10 -13th of the month for years. Can you please tell me WHO authorized this and WHY without my knowledge. This affects my banking account and I take these kind of changes very seriously. Thanks for letting me know.

Paula Howard  of www.paulaspatterns.com
Photo of Kathy9686

Kathy9686

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Paula,
I feel your pain as well that Homestead failed us consumers by only posting the change in policy on the community blog and not by email. This action is in violation to CA Consumers Protection ACT and all they do is say we are sorry. Buyers beware...if they continue to treat their customers in this manner they will fail and I foresee this company losing customers due to this type of business structure...many of my own customers want to change to wix.com and I feel it would be a good move.

Kathy Allibone www.dontpanictoday.com
Photo of kathryn4603

kathryn4603

• 1,038 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Drew, this is crazy you say "We changed our billing process last December. You can read why in the topic concerning the change. https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/changes-to-our-billing-process-effective-december-1..." I cannot find any info as to WHY this was done except that you can resolve card issues before the renewal date if they happen but we then pay you before it is due and you get interest on our monies! (you meaning homestead) Oh! how it would be good to go back to the times when there was Justin Kitch.
Photo of Drew N

We had a great many complaints concerning credit cards that expired and accounts were suspended. We received many complaints concerning the process, so we gave an additional 5 days. This was why we changed. If you would like for me to set the date back by 5 days, I would be happy to do so.
Photo of kathryn4603

kathryn4603

• 1,038 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Thank you Drew, it is not a problem luckily for me but for people who have saleries paid into the bank it could be a great problem. As ever you are one of the few people that help and sorry if I get angry ever now and then.
Photo of Drew N

I understand. Most folks that needed to managed to get their dates changed when needed. I am always happy to help.
Photo of Debbie8804

Debbie8804

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Account payment.

I would like to know why I'm being billed 3 weeks earlier than normal for my account payment?
Photo of Jason9387

Jason9387

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why are you charging my card earlier each year?.

Why are you charging my card really early this year?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.