Change the "opening" page from the template "Home" to another page

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive. If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it. You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

I want to change my website so a visitor lands on one of my supporting pages rather than the template's Home page.....without having to recreate both of these pages. Can this be done with a setting someplace? Thanks!
Photo of Sidney6251

Sidney6251

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Trevor4274

Trevor4274

• 584 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The only way I would tackle this would be to duplicate the page I now want to be the landing page and create a newly titled page (copied and pasted from the original) exactly the same other than being designated as your "INDEX" page. All visitors will then automatically land there.

You will have to do the same with your original Index page, copying and recreating it and giving it a new title, maybe OrigLP..? - whatever you like. Now, remove the original Index page and the original version of the page you chose to duplicate and make the newly designated Index. Remove public access to these from your published site.

It's just a case of removing, re designating and replacing pages. You won't lose anything as it will be saved in your background folder.

There may be an easier way, But I don't know of it, so this is what I would do...

Good luck.

Trevor
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 262,524 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Trevor.

Sidney6251, Trevor's method will work, but there is a slightly easier way.  You can use the Save As function.  In Sitebuilder, go to the index page and Save it as another named page.  This makes an exact duplicate of the page.  Then open the page you want to be the home page and Save As index.html.  Then if you want the original homepage to take the place of the old secondary page, then open the backed up index, and Save As the old name of the secondary page.  It would look like this.

index > indexbak, page a > index, indexbak > page a.  Does that make sense?  If you need help with Save As, look at this topic.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Trevor4274

Trevor4274

• 584 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Ahh, I thought you'd be able to find a better way. Many thanks Drew, that's a big help.

I must say after so many years of using Homestead with no connection to anyone for help on technical matters, it's really great to have these exchanges at last! It's good to learn and fun to help others too...
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,478 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the feedback!
Photo of Sidney6251

Sidney6251

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Trevor and Drew......thank you for the EXCELLENT help!! I did it.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,478 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Let us know if you need anything else!

Mike

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.