RESOLVED-Certificate Expired Error On Email Clients 03/06/2020

• Announcement
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Last night, we resolved an issue with our email certificate not connecting properly. This caused many people to receive errors on devices that they had their email connected through an email client like phone email applications, Outlook, and Thunderbird. If this notification is still popping up on your devices and you are unable to use the email, you'll need to remove the email address from this device and reconnect:

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/email-client-settings

Once you have removed the email from your device completely, and re-added it, if you are still experiencing any issues, please describe those below and we will investigate. Again, this is only after you have remove the email and re-added it. This is the resolution that most people are able to get their email working with.

An alternate temporary solution would be to turn off the SSL in the email settings.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 46,136 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Pamela9684

Pamela9684

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Has anyone else been on hold with tech support and know if they are even answering calls?  I have been on hold now since 9am and VERY FRUSTRATED with Homestead at this point!
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

I do sincerely apologize for the trouble you are all experiencing. The issue last night wasn't that the certificate wasn't renewed on our end (it was), but it experienced an error connecting to some servers. We were told this was resolved last night. Many of our customers did report that it is now working, and some had to remove and reconnect their email to get the notification to go away. I know this isn't a great solution for people who are connected via POP and that this solution isn't working for everyone, so I am working with our advanced techs to investigate why this is still occurring and to look for any other solutions we can provide. We are answering calls as quickly as we can, but as of right now, we have a very long hold time to reach support. We have
(Edited)
Photo of dawn3166

dawn3166

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Elyzabeth...if we delete the email account and re-add it to our iphone/ipad will we lose all emails that are currently in our inbox, drafts, etc??  I did it on my phone and seemed to lose ALL EMAILS THAT I HAD.  That's super detrimental to our business.  Can you help on this issue??  On top of that, I'm still getting the error unless I turn the SSL off.  Please advise. I know you're getting bombarded with questions and concerns from clients (the majority who are probably angry) and I understand it's not your fault personally....I just hope you can help all of us not lose hours and hours of client lists and communications.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Most customers that we are speaking with have their email connected through IMAP that are still experiencing this issue. Those customers emails will still be available through Roundcube, so will not be lost. Only customers who are connected via POP with the setting to keep a copy on the server turned off would lose their email. Can you look in Roundcube?
I cannot access any where including Roundcube - completely unacceptable. My accounts are set up as IMAP not POP>
Photo of dawn3166

dawn3166

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have imap.  When I log onto round cube I have approximately half of what I used to have?  This doesn't fix the phone issue??  My business runs primarily with using an iPad for my email communications.  I am nervous to try deleting the mailbox from my iPad because of what it did on my iPhone!  I cannot lose all the info on my iPad.  is there a way to not lose EVERYTHING?  This is so inconvenient and I'm losing more than a day of business because of this.  
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

You can log into the advanced settings on your iPad and turn off the SSL to stop getting the error messages:
Access iPhone Settings:
Tap Settings
Tap Passwords and Accounts
Tap desired email
Tap Account
Tap SMTP (turn off SSL and update port to 587)
Tap Done and then Account
Tap Advanced Scroll down to turn off SSL and set port to 110 pop or 143 imap
Tap Account
Tap Done
Photo of Linda7682

Linda7682

• 276 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Elyzabeth, as an agent for Homestead I see you posted an update above, saying that we should let you know if only after removing and re-adding our mailboxes if customers are still experiencing problems.

Two questions/comments...First and foremost, why is the burden shifted onto your customers because of your company's lack of foresight to keep their certificates current?  Second, if your solution doesn't fix it for all customers, how can you say that that is the proper solution? 

The solution is to get your certificate renewed to allow your customers to get back up and running on their business emails, not creating more work for them (that may or may not work!)
Photo of Pamela9684

Pamela9684

I completely agree Linda.  I shouldn't have to keep taking time out of my schedule to keep trying to fix a problem that I have experienced on more than one occasion.  
I emphatically third this. We are paying for a service, and are busy business owners. Now I am supposed to find a chunk of time today to resolve an issue that should, at best, have best avoided, and at least be (truly) resolved by the provider. I  have been a homestead customer for a long time, and this is certainly not the first time this has happened. Homestead, you should be able to fix this without inconveniencing your customers. I am considering switching providers.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

I understand that this is frustrating. As I mentioned above, the certificate was renewed but has experienced an error connecting to some servers, which we were told was resolved yesterday. I am working on investigating why this is still occurring, so we may provide other solutions. However, I know many people are frustrated with the pop up error message and so I am going to offer any solution we have available. At this moment, that is to delete the email account from your device or turn off the SSL in the settings.
Photo of Sara2108

Sara2108

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Please keep us updated on this forum as to when we can expect a solution from Homestead without further action that will require your clients to figure out how to fix it on our end.  I do not have a tech department and I have no idea how to delete my email address and re-add them to my phone and computer.  I will have to go out and hire someone to do this for me!  Every time I try to do something technical I end up screwing it up even further.  I don't want to be forced to sit on the phone for hours today in the middle of tax preparation season no less when I must have access to emails to communicate with clients!  This could not have come at a worse time for my business!
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

I will post updates when I receive them on this forum, absolutely. I do apologize for this trouble. I am doing everything I can to work with our team to get this resolved.
Photo of Sara2108

Sara2108

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Everything just started working again on both my phone and computer!  Yay!  Thank you!
Photo of Scott0365

Scott0365

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
problem not resolved!!  What is the solution?
Photo of Monica8719

Monica8719

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Cannot verify server message on iPhone.

CANNOT VERIFY SERVER message on iPhone every 3 secs, cannot even use the phone, started when the problem with SSL certif I think, how we do solve this?
There was a conversation about this and is gone!
Photo of kim2383

kim2383

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled my phone still has the pop ups and i do not know how to delete and re add to my p....
Photo of Charles4981

Charles4981

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I am still getting an expired certificate notice for email and cannot receive ema....

since your issue yesterday, I am still getting notices every 3-5 seconds saying your certificate is expired and I cannot receive email
Photo of Deana5311

Deana5311

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Cannot verify server identity showing on my phone every 3 seconds - please fix as....
Photo of Scott0365

Scott0365

I have 10 computers as well as iPhones that cannot receive mail!!!!    Someone please explain how this is going to be corrected?!?!   Happens every year!!!  I need a fix now!  I cannot run a business like this and I am about to take my business somewhere else......
Can not access email even via their online (Roundcube) interface - it's now more than 2 hours into our workday and nothing has been resolved - our businesses are being impacted by Homestead not properly running theres. 
(Edited)
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

We have received word that this issue should be resolved. Please check your devices and let me know if anyone is still experiencing any trouble.
Photo of John0701

John0701

• 2,500 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I turned my SSL off but it kept popping up. So I turned my phone off for a little and after turning it back on, the pop up message was finally gone. So do we attempt to turn SSL back on, or keep it off indefinitely?
Photo of Scott0365

Scott0365

Still not receiving emails on iMacs
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Yes, please try turning SSL back on. If you continue to get the messages, we have heard that turning off your phone or other device will restart it enough that this error stops popping up.
Photo of Pamela9684

Pamela9684

Issue resolved on all my emails.
Photo of Pamela9684

Pamela9684

And my devices
Photo of Aaron5031

Aaron5031

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
100% time to find a new service.  Instead of chasing a fix for their BS SSL issues, I need to invest that time in moving to a vastly more reliable service.  Thank you, Homestead for finally making the pain of switching everything more bearable than the pain of staying put...
100% agreed! This is the second time this has happened with them. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.