Cart does not empty after payment

• Question
  • Updated 4 days ago
  • Answered
I've had many customers tell me that after they have shopped and paid online, their cart does not clear out, making them think the order did not go through, so they order again.  I've had to refund tons of duplicate transactions because of this.  Is there a way to fix this?

I don’t have any idea what browser the customers are using – is there a way for me to know that?  I normally use Chrome.  It is not a specific product – it’s any and all products.  I have tried duplicating it, and agree – the cart does not empty out after the order, leading you to believe that the order has not been placed.  No common factors that I know of – I have orders from all over the world.  I’m not sure if it happens every single time and most people don’t see it, or just ignore it, or if it happens sporadically.  But I have had lots of duplicate orders. I would really like to get this corrected because it’s an aggravation and it makes my website, and therefore my business, look unprofessional.  
Photo of Julie5154

Julie5154

• 330 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 17,168 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
The way you would know which browser your customers are using would be to ask them. We have not had any other reports of this, so it is difficult to say what is causing this. I can submit a ticket to have someone look into this, but the more information you can provide, the more they will be able to help. When did this start happening? Were any changes made around the time it started? Is the cart still showing up in the payment processor or once they return to your website?
Photo of Julie5154

Julie5154

I will start asking my customers when this happens which browser they are using. I would really appreciate it if someone could look into it further and will provide any information that I can.  It has been happening for a long time, probably a year at least - I just haven't taken the time to deal with it.  I don't make a lot of changes to my website, and there have been no major changes (aside from adding products and info to the pages) at all.  It is my understanding that when they finish payment with PayPal, it redirects them back to my website, where it shows that the products are still in the cart.
Photo of Julie5154

Julie5154

I had this happen again - the customer did not respond when I asked what browser she was using, but she did message me and say that she placed her order and was taken back to my website where her products were still in her cart.  She did not receive a confirmation of her order, so she assumed it did not go through, and she placed the order the second time.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 259,094 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I am sorry this is occurring. I do have our development staff looking into this to see if they can figure out what is happening.
Photo of Julie5154

Julie5154

Thank you - I'll keep sending any info that I get - maybe something will help to figure it out.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 259,094 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Excellent. and thank you.