cant expand width

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive.  If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it.  You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

On this test site I am trying to expand the width of my image area to see if I might want to do it on my real website.It shows me my wider image on preview and preview and show. When I try to visit the new page on the web it shows the unedited boiler plate image insitead of my wider one.
Photo of Jim8141

Jim8141

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 67,964 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Have you tried a "refresh" (Shft/Ctrl/Delete)?
Using this procedure intermittently provides solutions to cache and cookie related interference. 
F5 = Refresh: A browser works by downloading a page to your computer. Browsers will then show the page from your computer as opposed to downloading it every time you visit a page. This speeds up the process and lessens the traffic on the Internet. Depending on the browser, it will periodically check the website for a new version of the page and download if it has changed. If you don't see a change that you expect, then press F5. That tells the browser to go to the site and download the page now.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If the refresh doesn't resolve it, which page and image?
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I would suggest the mieleman has this guidance saved somewhere so he can copy and paste it LOL. Drew.. Why has this become a problem, is it because SB+ is done online? With the mielemans tip it now makes it a very minor inconvieneience, easily resolved, just it never really came up a few years ago
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I guess it is because Sitebuilder is online now, but it isn't a problem in Sitebuilder Plus, it is simply how browsers work. They download the pages and files to your computer and display them from your temporary files. Most browsers are set to only check for a new version of the page sometimes. For that reason, if you spend quite a bit of time on a single website(like one you develop) you may see this occur more often.

As far as I know, each major browser still allows you to set this to pretty much anything. Essentially themielman's suggestion manually tells the browser to go fetch the page online. You can't however, tell my computer to do this on your site. It is a setting by browser.

If you live in a city with a fast connection it may be worth setting your browser to always check. I spend a significant mount of time on, we'll say, slower connections, so this is not a setting I want. Although I don't run into it as often as you, because if I look at your site to answer a question, chances are the next time a look at the site, my settings will tell the browser to go get the page anyway.
Photo of Teresa7603

Teresa7603

• 838 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
If the idea of refreshing doesn't work, I "might" have something that worked for me when this, what sounds familiar, happened to me.  First you cannot have on right-click protection but, Google has an easy way to turn it back on.  What I did, and this was before they took my beloved W-XP away, all I did was copy the original pix that I had published in the past and the pix then came out the correct size, AFTER, I copied the pix with the wrong width on a previously published page that had the correct width and length picture, I copied the published pix on my own published page.  Clear as mud?  Sorry, I have Lyme brain today. I am going to find that right click protection I was telling you about, don't need any HTML, either!  Good luck!  Teresa

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.