cannot start new pages as blank

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

When trying to create more pages on my site, I cannot create another page as blank.  It does give me a choice when I want to add a new page, to start as blank....but no matter what I do the design from the home page shows up on it.  If I try to delete anything on the new page, I get a message that says "this element appears on more than one page, do you want to delete it?"  So, if I delete it...the homepage item gets deleted as well.  All changes I make on the new page affect the homepage.

I want to create additional pages, with different information without affecting the homepage!  How do I do this? Please let me know how I can start with a completely blank page that does not affect other pages when I add or delete information to it..  

I totally disagree with the decision for this new Builder to remove the ability to start with a completely blank page as the old sitebuilder allowed.  Forcing us to use a template just causes more work and frustration for those of us who want to start with our own designs and page layouts.

Thank you if you can help with my question.
Photo of Tina2975

Tina2975

• 286 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Tina, I always build my websites from scratch and the inability to start with a blank is being looked at by Homestead. However, in the meantime I just chose a basic template, Only three elements on it to delete.  Now all templates come with navigation so if you look in pages you will have the pages the nav links to. Deleting anything from the index page will remove the same item from the other pages, which is what you want..So, start with a simple template, delete everything and your good to go. I would leave the nav bar in situ until I am ready to rename the pages.  Just few mins work and you have a blank site to work with.
Photo of Tina2975

Tina2975

Thank you for your response Brian. :)

I did do that when I began the site. I started with a simple template and deleted all sections and info. Then started with my own additions and information.  
I have not put a navigation bar to use as yet.

I already have a main/first page for my website in progress.   Should I change the name of that page to "index" like we did with the old sitebuilder? 
Here's what happens:
  My home page is showing with all of my work so far.  I Click on "Pages", then click  "Add New Page", it gives me two choices; "add empty page" or "choose new template".  If I click on "add empty page", a box comes up to name the page.  I name it, and click "add Page". 
Nothing changes on what is on the page. Everything that is on the homepage is still there, even though the toggle bar above shows it's on the new page instead of the homepage.
If I try to delete or add anything to that page, it automatically changes the home page.  I just tried again, using the above steps, and changed the size of an image...saved and published.  The home page was affected, the image size reflected my change.
I have tried the "choose new template" and the same thing happens.  Nothing changes on the new page, it's all the same info and scheme as the home page I created.
What the devil am I doing wrong?

Thank goodness for that undo button that worked even after I saved and published, or I would have thrown my hands up and gave up on the new builder.

Is there a tutorial for this new Website Builder somewhere?

Thanks again,
T
(Edited)
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

( I believe home page is just as good as Index page. I cannot see Homestead making a template without the correct address already saved)...Now with all the pages changing, even if you start with a blank page that's sounds like a problem,In SB+ we had the master page element which we could turn off so it sounds like that option should still be around somewhere.  Lack of spare time I have not had the opportunity to get into the new builder, something I hope to do with a weeks leave coming up, Susan and Mieliman are a ahead on the learning curve so look for their posts, I will be interested in the answer as as well. As for tutorials, Homestead did put out a few which I kept the URLs and posted all together... so give these a look.

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/websitebuilder

PS just rereading what you said, If your template has five pages, can you not just use the next page in the list rather than start a new page? it should be blank as the home page once you have deleted all the elements, but the work you are doing on the home page is probably being reproduced on second to fifth page if you cant get the master page turned off??? Will have a good look later.
(Edited)
Photo of Tina2975

Tina2975

Hmmm.....here's a question.  Is each "section" of a template a page?  Maybe I'm not fully understanding the template part.  But if I click on the pages in my list of the pages I "added", it still takes me to exactly the same page elements and view...the home page.  
I don't see any other "pages in the list" as  you said.  All I see for pages is the home page and the two pages I tried to create..."Test" and "Page 1"...both of which when clicked on show exactly what is on the homepage.

This is far too confusing at this point.  
I've half a mind to rename my old site that uses the old site builder and just stick with that.  
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

LOL I know what you mean, just been playing with the new builder. My old logo that loaded up fine in SB+ came up the size of a stamp so had to play with settings to get it right... well as good as I can get it for now... Each section is what the search engines look for and is part of the code of a web page. Top is the header then section 1, 2 3, etc are the different sections you add but the code would be V1 V2 like sub headings.  I THINK I found the answer to stuff on all pages. It was under settings
and has an option to show on all pages ( or not) now, I just found it by accident and it took another ten mins to find it a second time. See pic... When you add a new page, name it, look for the ( show in Navigation) option. That's why I kept the template nave bar so all the named pages were in the page list. Then I can create my own pages and show them in navigation before deleting ones I dont want... Bit of head scratching but made some progress. Added my own graphics folder so I can upload all the images I will need later. Will be playing more tomorrow see what I can uncover.. Its early days Tina, my old websites stays as it is until I am ready to make the switch so there is no mad rush..

Check what Show on all pages says
Photo of Tina2975

Tina2975

"Show on all pages", following your lead and making the navigation bar visible on the home page, seems to only refer to whether I want the navigation button itself to show on all pages. I could not get that settings area to come up unless I had the navigation bar highlighted for editing it.   I tested this by clicking on an image on the page and that settings box came up, then clicked on "size and position" again, but there was no "show on all pages" option listed. It appears to only show up if you are trying to do settings on the navigator bar element.

I made a bit of progress myself.  I was able to add a photo to "test" page, after publishing I see that it does not show up on the home page, but click on the navigator bar for "Test page" and it's there.....along with all of the home page stuff. LOL 

Now, when I try to delete anything else on the "Test" page I get an error box that says it's part of the "Master page elements" and will be deleted from all pages if I continue.
Sooooo....How do I edit the "Master page" to not show on all pages, and is the "Master page" my "Home page"

I have a feeling I'm going to have to start that home page all over again, or wipe out everything I've done thus far and start over.  I would have to think that over for a long time before I take that step.
I look forward to what you can dig up.  I keep thinking there must be some simple little step I'm missing....it should not be this hard.  LOL

The original site builder was sooo easy.  Load it up, click on "new page"..check whether to start with blank page or a design, give it a title...then go to work on it!  You could choose to save and publish just that page or the whole site.  With Data limits on my internet, that's a big plus to be able to only publish the page you're working on if the rest of the pages are already completed and have been published previously.

Thanks for your time Brian. It is truly appreciated. :)

Edit:  I just did a test run on "GoDaddy" website building.  Horrible.  I cancelled out within ten minutes. LOL
(Edited)
Photo of Tina2975

Tina2975

Hmmmm................there is a choice in the "manage" icon to turn off "AJAX navigation".  I know very little about AJAX, but am wondering if I turn off that feature....would it make a difference in stopping the home page elements appearing on all other created pages?  I'm going to try it this morning and see what happens.

Edit:   No, that had no effect on what I'm trying to accomplish.
(Edited)
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

I see what you mean about changes on one page being copied to another. Just entered a full page of text, changed fonts, sytle size. ani it was on other pages. So deleted the section ( after clicking No to on other pages) and it wiped it al off completely!!!! Bother!!!! or words to the effect. SO, here's how it works. Header ( you expect that to be on all pages so leave it be) now if you add any other element in another section go to the edit setting control panel that appears on the right, pick the size/position icon ( under the style icon) scroll down to the bottom and turn off the show on other pages switch...then you can save your update and it shouldn't appear on the other pages.   Try this link for go daddy but scroll down past the jargon until you get to To Forward or Mask Your Domain Name and a 1 2 3 list  

https://uk.godaddy.com/help/manually-forwarding-or-masking-your-domain-name-422

good luck... coffee and a dark room for 20 miins

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.