Cannot print white text in a red box

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving inactive content

UNRESOLVED PROBLEM
Cannot print white text in a red box
First brought the red box to the surface layer then the text.
The white text on red looks beautiful on screen
Black text prints black over red but is not very readable (red is 240,0,0)
Yellow or Mustard text looks good on screen and also prints the correct color
White text prints out black over red but looks white over red on screen

What am I doing wrong?
Photo of Richard2797

Richard2797

• 284 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Richard2797

Richard2797

Additional info to the above question
Above testing was all done using a Firefox browser
Print screen printed correctly white on red but few people use print screen
Then switched to Internet Explorer and also Microsoft Edge
Results different
Now the white appears and prints as a medium blue and is not very readable.
Photo of Lynn1286

Lynn1286, Champion

• 4,686 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
You got me.  I have no idea why you are having this issue.  Just for "fun"  try using Chrome. It's not your printer obviously. It has to be something to do with the translation of the data.  
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Richard, what is the site address?
Photo of Richard2797

Richard2797

Hi Lynn,
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried Chrome - Interesting It looks white on red on screenbut when printing is prints as an off white towards a pale blue - but is readable.

Hi Susan,
The URL is www.convergentsales.com
Photo of Richard2797

Richard2797

Photo of Lynn1286

Lynn1286, Champion

I printed out your page and it looks just fine to me! Red stripe/white text.  Dumb question, but have you checked your ink levels? Shouldn't be that since your screen print was OK, but it looks fine from my HP Laser. So I still don't have an answer for you.

Photo of Richard2797

Richard2797

Thank you Lynn for the additional info and the insight. I have an Epson WF 3540 printer and all cartridges are above 80%. I'm as baffled as you since your printer prints out OK and as viewed on screen. Wow, this is a head-scratcher. I've used this printer for 2-3 years and never have observed anything weird. What browser are you using?
Photo of Lynn1286

Lynn1286, Champion

I pretty much only use Chrome and I am on a Mac.  I don't think it's your printer. Have you upgraded any software or your operating system recently?
Photo of Richard2797

Richard2797

Lynn, thank you for both your interest and good suggestions. I am pretty much absolving my printer as being the culprit, since it is a relatively dumb device. It simply receives a color code from a browser and prints it. It has always printed colors faithfullly from any source including my Homestead site except only for white print on a red background.

So, this leaves 2 possibilities. 1) Since different browsers are causing printing in different colors (than the white #FFFFFF commanded) to be printed on a red background (e.g. white > black, white > light blue, white > white, each browser brand may interpret HTML slightly differently, and I'm not referring to just colors. IE has been notorious for its quirky HTML interpretations for years.

2) Homestead's Site Builder Plus has miscoded the HTML for color white. It's value is supposed to be #FFFFFF. Some browsers may be more lenient (forgiving) in decoding the HTML (again, not only related to colors).

Just my 2 cents. If anyone has a better explanation I'd welcome it.
BTW, I believe this problem has existed for years - I just didn't catch it before. Kind of like not remembering your own cell number because you never call it. LOL
Photo of Lynn1286

Lynn1286, Champion

Those are better explanations that I could come up with for sure.  Sorry I wasn't more help, but wish you well!
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Richard, you might try changing the white to an off-white and see what it does. I bet that Drew will have an answer if he's around tomorrow.

Photo of Richard2797

Richard2797

Hi Susan, I had done that yesterday - a light yellow, yellow and mustard, and all printed correctly as did a light blue, which printed but was not highly readable. It seens its inly the actual white - code #ffffff.
Photo of Richard2797

Richard2797

It seems it's only . .
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 38,132 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
As I mentioned on your other question, this has to do with how the browser is reading the HTML for the website/text/color. It will be different with different browsers and different versions of browser updates. This is why it is working for Lynn but not for you. It is browser specific unfortunately. Adding that element as an image would be a workaround for that.
Photo of Lynn1286

Lynn1286, Champion

Adding it as an image is great idea!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.