Can I make it so that photos on my site cannot be downloaded or copied?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I have a photography business and my images are copyrighted. Most photography sites I visit do not allow you to right click a photo, so, no saving or downloading their photos. Is there a way I can accomplish this with my Intuit site?
Photo of Jennifer7570

Jennifer7570

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of JCBling

JCBling

• 2,464 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Regarding Copy pictures. The only way to stop or slow copy pictures is to watermark them.

Any can place a mouse over a picture and drag it to the Desktop.

Anbody can click on Image Properties and find exactly where that picture is located on the Internet.

www.JCBling.com
Photo of Jennifer7570

Jennifer7570

Thanks for the reply, but I've been to several photography sites where I cannot drag the photos to my desktop, or bring up a a menu at all when I right click the image. Anybody else know how to accomplish this? I've watermarked my photos, but being involved in photography, I know they can be removed by a competent photo-shopper.
Photo of Jennifer7570

Jennifer7570

Ok, so I've done some research online and have found a Javascript that will prevent right clicking. I applied it to my page and it totally works! It brings up a message saying "you cannot right click" I know there is a way to have it that no message pops up, but since I don't write java, this will be great for now. If anyone else is interested in applying this script this is how. I tried adding the script directly in my reply but it won't post so, here's a link to the page I found it on, it's about halfway down the page.
http://webdesign.about.com/od/graphic...

Go to page settings on your site click advanced settings and add the script in the top box.
Photo of JCBling

JCBling

• 2,464 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
You think you are protected, but you are not. Here is a simple test. Open your browser in smaller window. Hold you mouse over any of your pictures. Left click it and drag it your desktop. It is that simple!!!! If that is not enough to convince you, open your site in Firefox. Left click on your picture. Firefox opens the source, click on image info and download your picture. DONT BE FOOLOED. There is only one way to protect your picture and that is by Watermarking them.

You are right, you are not going to stop a dedicated thief you really wants to steal your picture, but it will sure slow down the novice photo shopper.

www.JCBling.com
Photo of Jennifer7570

Jennifer7570

Thanks for the reply. You are right, I can drag them off my page. I can't, however, drag them off other photographers pages. I don't use Firefox, so I can't test that, but I'll take your word for it. All my photos are watermarked so hopefully that, coupled with the "no right click" will deter attempts to take the photos. I've also read about "shrink wrapping" photos by applying a clear layer over the picture. When someone tries to grab the picture all they get is the blank page over the photo. I can easily do that in photoshop, but I'm not sure how to do it on a webpage. Thanks again.
Photo of Priscilla6380

Priscilla6380

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I had planned on preventing right clicking as well. This is sad news. I would love more information on the "shrink wrapping" Thanks
Photo of Priscilla6380

Priscilla6380

I did a search and came up with this http://skinnyartist.com/how-to-shrink...

Does it seem like it would work?
Photo of Jennifer7570

Jennifer7570

I actually found that site too, it does work! Hooray! My image came up clear on the desktop. It was very easy to make the transparent gif file in photoshop. Then I uploaded it to my page sized it over a photo, and added the script she provided in the advanced settings of the page settings tab. Then preview your page and drag the image to your desktop. It's clear!
Photo of Priscilla6380

Priscilla6380

Dear Powers that Be...will this work in Storefront?
Photo of Jennifer7570

Jennifer7570

Hahaha, I hope the Powers that Be are reading this because I don't use storefront and so, have no idea! You could always try and see!
Photo of James

James

• 540 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hello all,

Thank you for using the Homestead Community. This is a great question, and unfortunately, not an easy one to answer.

Protecting digital media (especially images) on the internet is next to impossible due to the nature of how the internet and webpages work. When someone views a webpage the web browser is downloading a copy of all the content of the page to the computer. So even if you go to great lengths to prevent them from taking an image from the website, the reality is they already have that image on their computer in the temporary internet files. On top of that, anyone can take a screenshot when viewing a website and get the image that way.

What you can do is make it more difficult for the average internet user to take the image. Most of these were mentioned by your fellow community members, but here are the most common ways our users do that:

Disable Right-Click: The right-click menu allows the viewer to easily save an image from the browser. It can be disabled by putting code on your website, but it will not prevent some browsers from being able to drag the image directly to the desktop, as JCBling mentioned. There are several different ways to do it in code, but here is the most efficient code I've found to disable the right-click menu: <body oncontextmenu="return false;">

Shrink Wrap Images: This is the technique of putting a transparent image on top of the image you are protecting so they cannot drag it or right click save since it will save the invisible transparent "shrink wrap" that is on top. Priscilla posted a good reference on how this is done in HTML, which could theoretically be used in Storefront code as well. In SiteBuilder you can do it easily without code by adding a border over the image since borders have a transparent center and are essentially like a picture frame with glass.

Add a Watermark: Adding a digital watermark does not make it more difficult to steal the image, but it is the best deterrent since they would have to use Photoshop or another image editor to remove the watermark. How efficient it is depends on the complexity of the image, the watermark placement on it, and how difficult it would be to remove. There are free websites online to add watermarks such as http://www.picmarkr.com or you could use any image editing software.

There are several other methods out there but like these the best they do is make images difficult to steal so a viewer might find an easier website to take images from.

I hope this helps.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Protecting my photos.

I went on my website today on another computer to see if I could save any of my photos, and I was able to. How can I protect my photos to make it to where people can't right click and save my photos? Please help me protect my photos.
Thank you.
Photo of troisutton8297

troisutton8297

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Is there a way to put a guard on the photos on my website, so that people can't copy them?.

I have designs on my website that I've spent months creating. I don't want people to be able to right click and "save image as". Is there a way to protect my photos/images from being copied by website viewers?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.