Can I add a subdomain and then install SMF on it?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

If I create a subdomain (example: mysite.net/subdomain) can i install SMF on that subdomain?
Photo of Pablo

Pablo

• 444 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • Lauder

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi laudergorrin5839,

Are you referring to "Simple Machines Forum"? if so, the answer is unfortunately no. You can easily create subdomains, except SMF is written in PHP which our servers do not support at this time. You might consider looking at either BlueHost, or Hostgator as alternatives.

Sorry this isn't the answer you were looking for.

Mike

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me..
Photo of Pablo

Pablo

Yes, Simple Machines Forum. When you say BlueHost or Hostgator you refer to change my hosting provider?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

We certainly don't want to lose your business but if you require a system that supports PHP, then yes, you may have to choose another provider.

Mike
Photo of Pablo

Pablo

Is it hard to switch to another hosting?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

It really depends on what all you wish to switch. If you want to transfer a domain, (and email), or just the site, or both. There will be several steps involved but we can advise you on the process if you decide to do that. In most cases, it's not really advantageous to transfer a website due to the proprietary nature of each company's software, but it is very common to transfer domains.

For a domain transfer it would be normal for it to take about 3-5 days.

Mike
Photo of Pablo

Pablo

I have an account on a hosting company. They allow me create subdomains to my web site and auto install components to it. Like WordPress, SMF, MyBB, and much more. If I switch, will I be able to create a subdomain and install any of previously mentioned features?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

More than likely, but you'll really want to check with whatever company you decide to go with. Pretty much any reputable company will allow you to create sub-domains. As far as the SMF goes, you will definitely need to check. I can't guarantee you but I'm almost certain that BlueHost or Hostgator could help you out there as I did a Google search and found support forums with others discussing SMF.

Mike
Photo of Pablo

Pablo

Ok, thank you.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You're welcome!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.