Can Homestead please create a tool for Sliders or Slideshows with transitions?

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

Why doesn't Homestead make it EASY to add an image slider to a website?

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the WOW Slider slideshows in an Intuit website topic.
Photo of George7467

George7467

• 3,590 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Sven0797

Sven0797

• 718 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This is great! Just why can't Homestead do the same? I have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars with homestead over time; I believe that they must go with the times if they want to keep us as customers! It's time to produce rather than just talk and talk!
Photo of Bryon7394

Bryon7394

• 912 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I agree Sven0797 Why do we have to add so many third party products to our website. I have ranted for a year now and not a single change. No FTP, drop down menu, slide shows, etc, etc, but the community of homestead people are really helpful
Photo of Kaitlyn Millet

Kaitlyn Millet

• 188 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How do you create a homepage image slider with text?.

I want to create a homepage image slider or scroller with text that moves for promotion with the images changing. I can not figure out how to do it...is it possible?
Is there at way to create one like this?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You might take a look at the suggestions above. A lot of people tend to like Wow Slider or Comslider.

Mike
Photo of Kaitlyn Millet

Kaitlyn Millet

• 188 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks a million!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You're welcome
Photo of Carl Harrington Sr.

Carl Harrington Sr.

• 638 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You may want to check this one out http://amazingslider.com/
Photo of Bryon7394

Bryon7394

wow slider is difficult to get to work properly . You will waste some time figuring it out Comslider is really easy and looks great. By far the best to use with Homestead
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Bryon7394,  Thanks for sharing your opinion. To help others and add value, do you have any specifics on what you think is better/easier?
Photo of Kim6967

Kim6967

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Are there different ways to display my portfolio? Like a slideshow?.

I only have thumbnails that when click on become larger... I was looking for a flowing slideshow...
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Kim6967,

You may want to look at either Wowslider or Comslider mentioned in the discussion above.

Mike
Photo of Bryon7394

Bryon7394

I use comslider on my site Moomoomath and it is really easy and works great
Photo of Carl Harrington Sr.

Carl Harrington Sr.

• 638 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You may want to check this one out http://amazingslider.com/
Photo of James4894

James4894

• 536 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have not tired amazingslide, but I have tried comslider.com and just finished doing a slideshow with slideful.com. Having used these two, slideful.com is by far the best. I suggest anyone wanting a slide show try slideful.com the have a bunch of options and guide you through the process. It worked like a charm and it was FREE.
I will go try amazingslide and see what I think.

Anyone know where to get a translucent text box?
Photo of Simpy

Simpy

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm very pleased with comslider.com ... slideful seems a little bit old fashioned and it needs flash instaled for running... amazingslider was to complicated for integration for me
Photo of Emily5008

Emily5008

• 936 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I agree, that Homestead needs a photo slider with text. I have used them for many years, and been extremely happy with SiteBuilder. I also have to say, that every time I have had to call, I got prompt customer service, that was also competent.

Praying they will keep the desktop version, too, as I love it. The one online is awkward to use.

I will take some of the advice given above, for sliders with text. Hope it works!
Photo of Robert3278

Robert3278

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Scrolling header doesn't work properly!.

I have a scrolling header on my website (www.lorchestre-du-monde.org) with various photos added. First of all there is a gap in between the photos as they scroll round. However the most irritating thing is that when previewed everything seems to be correct (apart from this gap) on every page, but when published, some of the photos appear cut off at the top with white space showing. This only occurs on some of the pages. I have tried to adjust, but as there is no information available to suggest what the problem might be I don't know what to do to solve the problem. There is no guidance as to the optimum sizes (dimensions or pixels) that should be used. Why not set up a template into which photos can be set, with an adjustable no of photos that can be used? Or just sort out the problem above. I urgently need to sort this problem out as the site looks amateurish at the moment!
Photo of George7467

George7467

The photos in your slider are all different sizes. I believe they all have to be the same size (for example, all of the photos could be 268 pixels x 167 pixels).

To see if that is indeed the problem, instead of scrolling 7 different photos, try scrolling the same photo 7 times (make 7 copies of the same photo and give each one a different name if you have to, such as copy1.jpg, copy2.jpg... copy7.jpg). If that corrects the white space problem, you can resample the other photos to make them all the same size.

Also, the scroller program that you are using appears to be very old. I would use a newer slider program, such as www.comslider.com
Photo of Simpy

Simpy

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm also using comslider, it's great, you could have images with different dimensions, but you would achive best results with same dimensions images and optimized for the web (faster loading and less bandwdth consumption)
Photo of Mary2650

Mary2650

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Making a photo album on a photo gallery page..

We have an event center and I have a photo gallery page. I would like to create a photo album of each event or wedding where you can click on the top picture and open an album. Can I do this and how?
Photo of Doug8857

Doug8857

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How to create a slide show on my website? Just a way to revolve pictures..

I can insert any image I want. How do I get multiple images in the same image box to revolve? Working with a contractor who wants to show off multiple picture in the same image box. I see this on websites everywhere...why not on Homestead?
Photo of david2953

david2953

• 6,966 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Is there a flash alternative in or coming to Site Builder? Does Site Builder support JQuery?.

Flash might be attractive but not to search engines and Apple users. JQuery contains an extensive library with all animation effects you will probably need. If Site Builder does not support JQuery do you support something similar?
Photo of Doris5505

Doris5505

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
please get this feature added to the site building capabilities!
Photo of Vili

Vili

• 330 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
No.1 slideshow/slider solution for your Homestead website.

For everyone looking for simple and professional slideshow/slider solution. Here you can find comSlider demo slideshow with FAQ page on how to integrate it in your homestead website:
comslider.homestead.com
Photo of Michael0697

Michael0697

• 196 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
can you fade pictures in and out on a web page.

want pictures to fade in and out or change from one picture to another

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,796 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hello Michael0697,

It isn't possible with the built in Sitebuilder tools, but there are a couple of 3rd party applications in this topic that people have used.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

• 6,354 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Any recommendations for having Text rotate in and out. I am familiar with sliders, as I use the full version of Amazing Slider, and it works great when implementing. However, I want to have testimonials flash in and out, but is there a different way then creating the text into images and then sliders? It seems to distort the lettering.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

There are several ways this could be done, so it depends on the look/affect you are going for.  If you want to do it with images, you might create an animated .gif file. Just do a google search for "animated gif creator" and you find numerous sites that can do this for you. Then just import the file like an ordinary image.

Mike
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

Thanks Mike. Is there a way to do it without images? I'd like to have it as actual text, flashing in and out between testimonials.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Probably the most common  way is to use jQuery.  This is a little more complicated as you'll need some general understanding of editing the code to get the desired result, but here is a very simple script I found just searching google.

IMPORTANT: Before you place this code, please understand that when you add your own custom CSS code to the head section, it will override the formatting created by SiteBuilder.  Please keep in mind our support agents can show you how to place the code, but are not able to help with code customizations or troubleshooting if it does not work.

Place this in the head section:
<style type="text/css">
            body
            {
                background-color:#FFFFFF;
                color: #000000;
                font-family:verdana,arial;
            }
            #quotes
            {
                margin:0;
                padding:100px;
                font-size:20px;
                position:relative;
            }
            .textItem
            {
                position:absolute;
                display:none;
            }
            a
            {
                color:#000;
                font-size:15px;
            }
        </style>

Place this in an HTML box (the Body section), on the page where you want the text to appear:

<div id="quotes">
            <div class="textItem">ENTER YOUR FIRST LINE OF TEXT HERE.
            </div>

<div class="textItem">ENTER YOUR SECOND LINE OF TEXT HERE.
            </div>

<div class="textItem">REPEAT THIS FOR EACH LINE NECESSARY.
            </div>

</div>
                <script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.4/jquery.min.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript">
            $(document).ready(function()
            {
                setupRotator();
            });   
            function setupRotator()
            {
                if($('.textItem').length > 1)
                {
                    $('.textItem:first').addClass('current').fadeIn(1000);
                    setInterval('textRotate()', 3000);
                }
            }
            function textRotate()
            {
                var current = $('#quotes > .current');
                if(current.next().length == 0)
                {
                    current.removeClass('current').fadeOut(1000);
                    $('.textItem:first').addClass('current').fadeIn(1000);
                }
                else
                {
                    current.removeClass('current').fadeOut(1000);
                    current.next().addClass('current').fadeIn(1000);
                }
            }
        </script>

(Edited)
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

Thanks Mike! I got it to work when I tested it, and was able to change the code to adjust the background and rotation and font ect. The only thing though, is its automatically pulling up a semi colon on the left hand side of the font and shows up the whole time. Somewhere, it must be out of place in the code so its showing up? I simply copy pasted your instructions and it was in there and I tried manipulating, but cant seem to see where the semi colon would be pulling from.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Good morning Jonathan T,

Can you tell me which site and page you are working on?  We can take a look at it.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

Right now, I just threw it on here to test it out to see if it would work. www.greengroupcorp.homestead.com/thankyou.html
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Jonathan T. 

I was able to find an unnecessary semi colon in the code.  I removed it for you so it should be working now.

Mike
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

Thanks! As always, you guys are awesome. Happy to have been a customer for over 10 years!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You're welcome
Photo of ATIUQ89

ATIUQ89

• 358 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
WOW Slider slideshows in a Homestead website.

This topic has been posted, after several people asked. I finally thought I had the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, I was hyped...then low and behold (M) the guy that was posting the answer went west on me. It's more that one way to post Wow sliders, but in homestead it's hard as heck to find the right way for homestead intuit users. I hope you can help, below is the direction (M) gave:

After you create your wow slider using the WOW software:
1. Use the Homestead file manager to upload your files. The homestead file
manager can be found by clicking on your domain to the left of Account at the
top right of your screen. After you click on your domain you'll see an option
to manage files.

2. Upload the entire folder that was produced by the wow slider. Since you
cannot upload folders into the homestead file manager, you will need to create
a folder for your slider and then create all of the subfolders for the wow
slider within the homestead file manager.

3. Once all of your files are uploaded, then you can open the
"iframe_index.html" page.
4. Copy the iframe tags

5. From within the homestead site editor insert HTML and then click edit.

6. Paste your iframe tags into the dialogue box.

7. Click Ok to finalize

8. Save your page then click preview to view your content. (in chrome this
seems to work fine, still attempting to resolve the multi browser issues).

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I haven't heard of any multi-browser issues, but there are a lot of other people using WowSlider on this page if anyone else has experienced this problem?
Photo of ATIUQ89

ATIUQ89

I need help, can you help me
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you are referring to the multi browser issue I'm afraid we can not troubleshoot that problem since it is not our software.
I'd like to see some site upgrades..

When will we get more that one type of gallery view, slider and ways take our business sites to the next level of professionalism. If our customers don't find our websites to be captivating and engaging, we won't easly attract new viewers to become new customers. If I cant keep customers engaged I cant keep paying for this service in short I've Have this service for two years I'd like to see some site upgrades.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Thanks for your comments.  I have added you to this topic so that the developers can more easily see the top requests.  In the mean time, some users have had success with 3rd party sliders, like comslider and Wowslider.

Thanks

Drew
(Edited)
Photo of Vili

Vili

• 330 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
@Drew .. have to correct your typo ;) it's comslider www.comslider.com
great product...

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Thanks.  It has been corrected.
Photo of Lisa5393

Lisa5393

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We definitely need image SLIDERS especially because of the PRICE Homestead charges versus everyone else. I personally will NOT renew if they don't come up with a SOLUTION and SOON. Too many other sites available that offer that feature and Homestead should be one of them.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Lisa5393,  We very much agree this is a much wanted feature. Unfortunately we don't have an ETA if/when a slideshow tool may be released. Our company has been undergoing a lot of changes recently and due to numerous back-end systems changes it is necessary to put some of the customer facing features on hold for a time.  For the time.... Comslider or Wowslider are probably your best alternatives.
Photo of George7467

George7467

It would be great if Homestead provided a slideshow tool, but at least it's possible to add professional-looking third-party slideshows to Homestead websites.  That's reason enough for me to stay with Homestead!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Thanks for your comments!
I don't know Gorge7467 when I'm paying for a service or providing my clients my services. The first rule of thumb is, I want to do or have everything done in house. To me that's a real show of added professionalism and that i'm providing or being provided everything that is needed to get carry out my objective successfully. I wouldn't want to get into a fast food restaurant and bring napkins from the napkin maker because the restaurant will only offer me one wet wipe. I'm locked in for another year but to continue to pay for this service I'll need to attract new customers. I know I'm going to need more options I like homestead hope you guys can pull it together. If our sites look good, homestead looks good.  
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Thanks for your comments. We appreciate the feedback.
Photo of Stinger

Stinger

• 320 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Interestingly, when I try to use comslider with my desktop homestead, it will not work.  

When I take the same snippet and add it to the on-line version, it works fine.  Cumbersome to say the least, but I did get it to work...  now to pay for the upgrade as 5 photos will not cut it....
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Ian8030,

The issue here may be the HTML version. Desktop Sitebuilder supports HTML 4.01. Sitebuilder Plus(online) supports HTML 5. If HTML 5 is required for any part, desktop will not work. Any time you publish that page with desktop it would likely stop working.

You might contact comslider to see if HTML 5 is required.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Official Response
Hi everyone, I invite you all to take a look at this article concerning sliders. It is interesting and the prevailing view amongst SEO professionals. As always, you can still use 3rd party HTML sliders if you have a need of one. We have not ruled this out at this time, but for a while it will be left at Under consideration status.
Photo of George7467

George7467

Thanks, Drew.  That's very interesting.  Who would think that by not adding a slider feature to Homestead years ago, it would allow Homestead's customers to build a more relevant website today!  I wish that were true for all the other features that Homestead never added through the years, including mobile-friendly websites:

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/death-pc-not-greatly-exaggerated/
(Edited)
Photo of KJ2037

KJ2037

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have been using Photoshop to create sliders on my websites. It only took me a few tries to understand the steps. I think I watched a tutorial on Youtube. Here is an example of what I've done on one of my sites. www.kisworkout.com
Photo of GWH0756

GWH0756

• 544 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I think someone else mentioned "comslider.com" before, but just in case...I want to highly recommend this 3rd party app as a solution to this lack of one from Homestead! I've been using it for quite some time on several websites I've created & it's working GREAT! I've "played with" several slider apps & find this one to be fairly simple & straight forward with very nice functionality & a variety of setup styles. You can even use the FREE version, but you'll be limited to I believe 5 photos in your slideshow. Hope this helps.... :-)
Photo of Hans0307

Hans0307

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I was told that the slideshow feature would be available on December 31, 2016. What is the holdup now?

Angie
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Angie. This is available in the new builder that was released in November. I am sorry if you missed the announcement. Unfortunately, it does require starting the site over, as we can't convert the old code to the builder.
Photo of ATIUQ89

ATIUQ89

is there a video or instruction to do this, i've been waiting on this for about 4 years now :)
Photo of ATIUQ89

ATIUQ89

ok, let me get this right, in order to use or create a slider for images, i have to create a New website first? So, my other websites won't be able to add the slider as well.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Unfortunately, that is correct. The code generation of the new builder is incompatible with the older Sitebuilder sites.
Photo of ATIUQ89

ATIUQ89

So, am i downloading a New Site Builder, or just creating a new website? If creating a new website, and i have 12 websites in site builder, to get slider on each website i would have to make a entirely new website for each?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You create a new site and then choose design. There is no download. The new Websitebuilder is online.

Unfortunately, yes you will need to build each site new that you want a slider on. Just be careful, sliders can damage your search results if used incorrectly.
Photo of Andrew6573

Andrew6573

• 490 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Could you elaborate more on how a slider could damage search results if used incorrectly?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.